Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: "Damn it" moments, share them here!  (Read 6946 times)

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
Re: "Damn it" moments, share them here!
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2009, 04:46:49 pm »

My first adventurer, I'm tasked with killing a cyclops in a cave near town.  I go out alone, with no training, no equipment, and no idea what I'm doing.  The cyclops kills me instantly.  Damn it, but I deserved it.

The second adventurer receives the same quest, but I try training her up a bit, then head to the cave, this time out of curiosity.  Naturally, the cyclops finds me.  Dead.  Damn it.

The third adventurer: I try recruiting some drunks.  I accept the quest.  Cyclops beats the drunks to a pulp almost instantly.  Dead.  Damn it!

Fourth: try again.  This time, training myself on wildlife, recruiting some drunks and one sober (maybe lonely?) guard.  I let my little army fight the cyclops.  Not even a scratch on him as he brushes the others aside like paper.  This time I run from the fight.  The cyclops, somehow anticipating this, maneuvered down a side corridor and pops out right next to me.  Dead.  Damn it!

What's worse, the quest list has cycled out all the names of the worldgen folk that died to the beast.  All the quest giver (and the cyclops) tell me are the names of my previous adventurers.  DAMN IT!

I've saved that file so one day I can send an adventurer in, kill the bastard, then promptly delete everything.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Baldin Brewbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2009, 08:50:14 pm »

Uber-awesome adventurer survived for almost a year. One day, uber-awesome adventurer is attacked by a Giant Lion.

Just before the lion bled to death, it charged me and I dodged into water and promptly drowned.

This is why you should always go to the ocean and train swimming.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:01 pm »

mrfake do what i did: go to that cave in fortress mode and pulverize it with a few champs

Pyrophoricity

• Bay Watcher
  • [TEA_OR_COFFEE: TEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 03:47:18 am »

Starting a new adventurer and leveling throwing to legendary and then starting to level swimming.

About the time I reached Expert the water froze and I died...

Damn it Indeed..
wooden maces (omg, it's a heavy stick!)
Why not read DaggerStatic: A community fort? http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39205.0

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 09:19:15 am »

I was fighting elves i their forest retreat, and having decimated the entire village, shaken off arrows and a horde of elven peasants, I finally hunt down my VERY LAST elf. He charges, I dodge into a small pond. Fine, I've got swimming, no worry. Thing is, this pond has no banks, so my adventurer just sits there until he dies. He can't travel because I'm carrying someone else's clothing :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 11:19:20 am »

I was fighting elves i their forest retreat, and having decimated the entire village, shaken off arrows and a horde of elven peasants, I finally hunt down my VERY LAST elf. He charges, I dodge into a small pond. Fine, I've got swimming, no worry. Thing is, this pond has no banks, so my adventurer just sits there until he dies. He can't travel because I'm carrying someone else's clothing :D

I don't get it, couldn't you just alt-move out of the pond?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 12:41:40 pm »

No banks means no alt move. you can't just climb out. I'm either correct, or about to have another "damn it" moment...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 12:52:22 pm »

What exactly does "bank" mean? Is it a ramp at the edge of the pond or something?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 02:59:51 pm »

Yeah, a bank is a slope. Are you standing on one in that pic? Please say yes.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 03:02:27 pm »

Pools never have ramps in them unless you put them there if Fortress Mode.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 06:41:07 pm »

In other words All ponds have sides you can alt move out of...... sorry Rowanas
Nom nom nom

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 06:57:20 pm »

I was playing as an Axedwarf, minding my own business, killing entire villages of elves...

Anyways, I got into a bit of a tussle with half a dozen elves. They had three archers, but my adventurer was a Master shield user, and they were all facing me, so no problem.

Then, I saw one of the archers back up into a tree. The fight between Lurtz and Aragorn in the first LOTR movie suddenly sprung to mind, so I thought I'd do a sweet move, and throw my shield at the elf.

My adventurer was an Accomplished thrower, and the shield mangled his lower body. I laughed.

Then, I realize that I no longer have a shield. I panic and try to run to retrieve my shield, which is about 10 tiles away, but when I am 2 tiles from it, the archers simultaneously fired.

Pierced eye, wounded brain, pierced upper right leg, and pierced heart. Owned.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 07:01:17 pm »

I was playing as an Axedwarf, minding my own business, killing entire villages of elves...

Anyways, I got into a bit of a tussle with half a dozen elves. They had three archers, but my adventurer was a Master shield user, and they were all facing me, so no problem.

Then, I saw one of the archers back up into a tree. The fight between Lurtz and Aragorn in the first LOTR movie suddenly sprung to mind, so I thought I'd do a sweet move, and throw my shield at the elf.

My adventurer was an Accomplished thrower, and the shield mangled his lower body. I laughed.

Then, I realize that I no longer have a shield. I panic and try to run to retrieve my shield, which is about 10 tiles away, but when I am 2 tiles from it, the archers simultaneously fired.

Pierced eye, wounded brain, pierced upper right leg, and pierced heart. Owned.

Hehehe, you're Boromir, not Aragorn.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »

At least a death by Uruk-Hai would have been honorable, but a death by elves is just... eyech. Everyone knows that elves corpse-rape eat their kills.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 04:02:34 am »

I'm pretty sure you can only alt-move up a z-level (without ramps or stairs) if you're swimming.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5