Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: "Damn it" moments, share them here!  (Read 6943 times)

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Damn it" moments, share them here!
« Reply #30 on: August 19, 2009, 10:03:37 am »

I'm pretty sure you can only alt-move up a z-level (without ramps or stairs) if you're swimming.

Yeah, if you fall into a river in a valley, you need to swim farther up or down and find a shallow point.

MrFake

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Elficidal Maniac
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 19, 2009, 10:12:05 am »

mrfake do what i did: go to that cave in fortress mode and pulverize it with a few champs

Oh hell no.  That melonfarmer is gonna get taken down the right way: an axe to the groin followed by seppuku over its corpse.
Swordbaldness: a trial of patience.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2009, 01:20:08 pm »

My first adventurer, I'm tasked with killing a cyclops in a cave near town.  I go out alone, with no training, no equipment, and no idea what I'm doing.  The cyclops kills me instantly.  Damn it, but I deserved it.

The second adventurer receives the same quest, but I try training her up a bit, then head to the cave, this time out of curiosity.  Naturally, the cyclops finds me.  Dead.  Damn it.

The third adventurer: I try recruiting some drunks.  I accept the quest.  Cyclops beats the drunks to a pulp almost instantly.  Dead.  Damn it!

Fourth: try again.  This time, training myself on wildlife, recruiting some drunks and one sober (maybe lonely?) guard.  I let my little army fight the cyclops.  Not even a scratch on him as he brushes the others aside like paper.  This time I run from the fight.  The cyclops, somehow anticipating this, maneuvered down a side corridor and pops out right next to me.  Dead.  Damn it!

What's worse, the quest list has cycled out all the names of the worldgen folk that died to the beast.  All the quest giver (and the cyclops) tell me are the names of my previous adventurers.  DAMN IT!

I've saved that file so one day I can send an adventurer in, kill the bastard, then promptly delete everything.

Do what I did: every time you fight something in a random battle, use your weapon until it can't fight, then strangle it. When you get up to legendary wrestler, go back and kill the cyclops.

I ended up choking a cyclops to death when my axe got embedded in it's leg (later I realized I could just pull the axe out...) Legendary wrestlers are awesome.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2009, 02:25:47 pm »

Well, so here I am swimming down a river slaughtering fish, about to get out of the water as I finally found a spot where there wasn't a wall a z-level up. Suddenly, THE RIVER TURNS INTO A STEAMBATH, THE FISH ALL DROWN, AND I START BURNING FROM THE HEAT. I really shouldn't have generated this world with such high volcanism,  it's absurd.
EDIT: I survived easily, but just now my backpack finally disintegrated. This sucks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2009, 02:42:40 pm by Rakonas »

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2009, 07:04:43 pm »

..THE RIVER TURNS INTO A STEAMBATH, THE FISH ALL DROWN, AND I START BURNING FROM THE HEAT..
Have you pissed off the dwarves by any chance?
Hello Hunam

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2009, 07:41:24 pm »

Killed two Ice Ogres (Civ Forge), choking them to death despite my nonexistent wrestling skill.  Walk a few tiles away to encounter three more Ice Ogres.  Check my inventory for anything nice to throw; notice that I left my axe at the last battle.

Finally figuring out all of the inventory controls.  In fact, I still haven't figured out how to put something in my hands into my inventory.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 03:46:52 am »

Killed two Ice Ogres (Civ Forge), choking them to death despite my nonexistent wrestling skill.  Walk a few tiles away to encounter three more Ice Ogres.  Check my inventory for anything nice to throw; notice that I left my axe at the last battle.

Finally figuring out all of the inventory controls.  In fact, I still haven't figured out how to put something in my hands into my inventory.
# p - Put an item in a container

Provided you have a container, which you won't start with if you Play Now! ...these controls are viewable in game, mind.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2009, 10:41:44 am »

Yeah, I tried to 'p'ut a shield into my backpack, and it gave me some sort of wacky error.  Maybe I'm still just confusing them all; I know the buttons, I just can't get their meanings straight.  Does 'I'nteract do anything?
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Raviaric

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_CARDBOARD_BOXES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2009, 03:52:38 am »

Yeah, I tried to 'p'ut a shield into my backpack, and it gave me some sort of wacky error.  Maybe I'm still just confusing them all; I know the buttons, I just can't get their meanings straight.  Does 'I'nteract do anything?

You need to [r]emove equipped gear to put it in your backpack.

And now for my moment: I was swimming around in the ocean, boredly taining my swimming skill. Just before leaving the water, I decided to dive to a part of the ocean two Z-levels deep. It wouldn't let me alt-move back up.

On the upside, it was an elf who drowned.

wehll

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer stunned.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2009, 05:33:09 pm »

I was fighting elves i their forest retreat, and having decimated the entire village, shaken off arrows and a horde of elven peasants, I finally hunt down my VERY LAST elf. He charges, I dodge into a small pond. Fine, I've got swimming, no worry. Thing is, this pond has no banks, so my adventurer just sits there until he dies. He can't travel because I'm carrying someone else's clothing :D
Just curious. Couldn't you just drop the clothing, or does that not work?

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #40 on: October 31, 2009, 05:55:35 pm »

I'm playing a adventurer from a powerful, modded in race. I kill more powerful than usual megabeasts without a scratch. Despite this I've died like 4 times to archers, lost an eye to them as well, and decided to charge a batman flying over a pond- on a race without [SWIM_LEARNED].

When you have godly power and still have to say 'Oh damn' if you see anyone with a bow or crossbow it's rather annoying.

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2009, 01:35:05 pm »

I was once using the multiple shield glitch, and had around 50 shields on me and ahd taken out a couple of civ's by myself, when some elfswordsman, with a no modifier wooden sword walks up to me and cuts off both my arms in two attacks............. I killed him via headbutting.....
Nom nom nom

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2009, 12:51:05 am »

One time I made an adventurer. He died by wolves one step away from the town. Damn it.
So I made another, same result.
So I made a Hmmerdwarf, and slaughtered every single natural creature, and burned every tree I could find. Revenge is sweet.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2009, 07:08:00 am »

It took me a few tries, but I've finally reduced this elven village to a ruin. I had to strangulate the now-legendary guard, but after that, I could easily handle the zerg rush of children.

Axe>Spear, definetly.
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:36 am »

Yeah, because if a spear is stuck you must spend another turn removing it.

You may add [STICK_CHANCE:0] to it though, which is not used in any weapon but working perfectly.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5