Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 91653 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #405 on: September 09, 2009, 11:24:57 pm »

Oh. Well, thanks for answering/adding me. And..drat, I guess a'oiding economy would a'oid getting the other civ-ups.

Not that there's anything that pre'ents getting it later and skipping past barony.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: September 10, 2009, 05:10:27 pm »

Oh. Well, thanks for answering/adding me. And..drat, I guess a'oiding economy would a'oid getting the other civ-ups.

I spy a 'v'!

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 10, 2009, 06:04:23 pm »

well, on linux I can input by unicode (0x76). I need to change sig- Now my v key is actually missing its top bits. Strangely, this means it's back to 100% functionality. Unfortunately my LEFT key is now acting up. (Again, strangely, pressing the underlying pieces works better without the cap/spring-clip thing)
I'm just sort of in the habit of pressing ' instead of v now (what's worse, sometimes I catch myself hand-writing thusly!)
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: September 11, 2009, 01:16:57 pm »

Whee!

4 squad siege, 3 ninja squads inside the outer defenses - primarily ranged units. One of the 3 was within shooting range of the fortress area when they arrived, but the central tower thankfully blocked their view of the fortress entrance since I had a solid line of dwarves hauling water inside. I had two squads of marksdwarves on duty in the central tower and one at the archery range also located in the central tower, so everyone was on station almost instantly - fast enough to occupy the gobbos while everyone ran downstairs to safety. A few gobbos made it past the inner defenses (after clogging a line of traps up) but most got cut down by the military. Time to get some melee soldiers to take the place of that inner trap line.

About half a dozen wounded - most pretty inconsequential, but one miner got his eye shot out. The gobbos were shooting down a channel to where the miners were working a few z-levels below and catching them as they walked from one digging area to another.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: September 11, 2009, 02:09:49 pm »

Well so far I haven't really seen much Fun on this current endeavor. The most exciting things that have happened have been one of my miners (while perfectly content and happy) walking through water until he drowned. Meanwhile he was first standing in the water the ramps out (which worked perfectly) was immediately behind him. That and I lost a jeweler who had a strange mood when I had no jeweler. Fortunately I have a legendary bone carver now who made me a nice Turtle Bone and Black Diamond shield which sounds pretty bad ass.

I attribute the lull in action to the 2 harpies that are on my map. They have not moved once (even a single tile) in 2 years and seem to be keeping other baddies from spawning on my map. The only other pack of beasts that have come by are slug and snail men.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: September 11, 2009, 03:48:36 pm »

Update: Harpies are evil.

So I played a lot yesterday, but didn't get much progress. I tried to get a good start going, but every time, it would be ruined by harpies. Or fire men. Or fire imps. So I restarted a bunch of times, since I really didn't get far enough to warrant pushing onward. And then that would be ruined by harpies. Or fire men. Or fire imps.

I've played the beginning of this map so much I have it down to a science. The magma critters I deal with right at the beginning, by stationing miners a tile away from the edge of the pipe. In short order, I have fire imp leather and a block of ash. Beak dogs aren't unduly aggressive, and since they use grappling attacks, they can be dealt with by a swarm of war dogs.

Harpies, though, are evil. They attack, quickly too, and have piercing claw attacks, always puncturing the throat or heart of some poor miner I drafted to deal with them. Nothing I currently have available to me is adequate defense against harpies.

I realize how lucky I was on my first embark, where a group of harpies flew down into a drying murky pool, and were trapped there because they couldn't path out, preventing more harpies from spawning. If only I hadn't screwed that one up with poor play on my part.

So, if I can get a year into the map without a harpy attack, all the while working on an aquifer puncture (which I should hopefully be able to do by mid-summerish, if harpies don't attack), I should be in good shape. Until then, restart after restart.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: September 11, 2009, 06:37:43 pm »

"Migrants were too nervous to migrate this year"

oh come on, I haven't had that many deaths.

Also, my mega-project is almost finished :D

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: September 11, 2009, 06:42:00 pm »

Those soap-makers and fish-cleaners get nervous easy.

I had 2 groups of snailmen on my map at embark - you better believe I did nothing in their direction, was happy to have them.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: September 11, 2009, 06:55:39 pm »

There is a titan at the top of my map.

yay! my first megabeast (seriously, I've never had one)

edit: actually, he's a rather nice guy. He killed a cat for me.
edit again: yay! I caught him! Those captured goblins will be in for a surprise...  ;D
« Last Edit: September 11, 2009, 07:00:01 pm by Vieto »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Deadline Monday, 9/21
« Reply #414 on: September 13, 2009, 01:37:48 am »

Ok, blazing along in year 6 at ~1FPS. The last season took 7 hours to pass. I'm glad I planned for this...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: September 13, 2009, 03:01:07 am »

away from DF for 10 days or so (holiday followed by Left 4 Dead) and now all i have is a 2 year old fortress 10 days from the dead line.

SHIT

i just had a marksman shoot a grimlings head clean off.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 01:00:25 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Spartan 117

• Bay Watcher
  • Never think twice. Or at all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: September 13, 2009, 05:53:51 am »

Are you still taking judges? I know I'm late, but you have a lot of contestants...
Well, you know how if you take your thumb and forefinger and hold them up to your eye, you can make it look like you're squishing someone's head? It's like that, only for real.
"Sometimes being a dwarf has it's advantages, KNEE-CAPPING TIME!"

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: September 13, 2009, 06:00:41 am »

Are you still taking judges? I know I'm late, but you have a lot of contestants...

the number of judges isn't really contingent on the number of contestants, as each judge has to judge each fortress individually and write up scores...so...yeah...

i guess soli is the final word on that...do be aware that it takes a LARGE amount of time to do the judging...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: September 13, 2009, 02:37:28 pm »

Spartan, of course you can judge. That's not time sensitive, yet, so go for it.

Tykk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 13, 2009, 03:59:11 pm »

Halfway through my fourth year now. Had two ambushes so far, slaughtered both of them. Did lose 2 dwarves on the second ambush though, they came with 6 marksgoblins. I wasn't expecting that and didnt get my soldiers out their quick enough.

I am having problems getting my marksdwarves to train while off duty though. I have archery targets set up and I have plenty of wooden bolts, dunno what I'm doin wrong there.

Workin on my mega-project too, not sure if I am going to have enough projects done by the 21st. Dunno if my fortress will still be operational by then either, FPS is droppin quick and I keep getting more dwarves, thinkin I may put a large group of them together and drop them down a mine shaft or something....

All other production is going pretty smoothly though. No starvation, no thirst, no tantrums. My best fortress yet at least, even if I don't win the competition.

I have a few more ideas for it, but I dunno if it's going to work.

Anyways, how is everyone else comin along?
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 52