Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 91645 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Deadline Monday, 9/21
« Reply #450 on: September 14, 2009, 10:58:15 pm »

Huh. Just your luck, all my wildlife's been non-ninja. Half-through and I'm only on my third grimeling. Caught one too.
Beak dogs, on the other hand...hope I got a breeding pair, though I ha'e a few pages of 'em dead. the DM is taking his sweet time with the next immigration wave.

Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: September 14, 2009, 11:00:07 pm »

sadly i'm getting nothing but grime (thieve stopped coming now..). What i would give for a breeding pair of beakdogs!

Oh, and do you like my new avatar?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: September 14, 2009, 11:21:23 pm »

Yea i'm not even close to done.
I had to cave in  and use magma to fix my fancy "masonry" aquifer pierce after rather stupidly flooding the level underneath.

2 and 1/2 years of tedious pausing work... defiled  by my own mistake.

also, near permanent hold with college.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 11:23:37 pm by eerr »

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: September 14, 2009, 11:40:13 pm »

ha'ing just set three pumps in a place that flooded, I feel for you. jobcancel sitesubmerged space q up up s space x100
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: September 14, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

i don't feel your pain. i'm doing this completely above the aquifer.

And i'm making my mega project out of obsidian.

WHAT DO YOU THINK OF MY AVATAR? ANSWER OF I WILL DAMN YOUR ETERNAL SOUL TO THE NINTH LEVEL OF HELL

Edit: i have found ninjas. all i can say is AWSOME.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 12:52:04 am by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: September 15, 2009, 02:48:27 am »

Hells not that bad, and the ninth level is invetation only.

Your avatars good, weres it from? I have the annoying feeling that I've seen it before.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: September 15, 2009, 04:57:51 am »

Love to see the fur fly.  My own efforts are (as I predicted) sporadic and behind the curve. I opened my previous ongoing fortress, abandoned when this started, and didn't recognize half of it.

Yeah, but they're not that dangerous- since they come singly. A nonameskill weapon-fighter eats them up. Actually, my marksdwarf shot once, then beat it about with crossbow without hammer skill to death.

Eh... I think he got lucky with an early hit and then capitalized.  They can be pretty ugly little shites, one on one. 

And, yes, against an untrained, unarmed dwarf, they're almost a lock.  Scary enough.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: September 15, 2009, 05:49:18 am »

unfortunately, the game is beginning to lag for me. having 116 dwarves, 5000 stone, and 2000k+ kittens can do that...

I just realised what I need to do ... :D

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: September 15, 2009, 09:26:14 am »

More casualities but the fun kind not the bad kind.

Lost another content dwarf who decided to take a watery stroll rather than use the ramps right next to him.
Another failed mood, in the dead of winter my dwarf wanted 3-4 pieces of silk when the caravans have only brought me one silk thread in the past 3 years (I guess I'll have to request some). He's not technically dead but he's wandering around.
Lost a champion :( to a 2x ambush that had 3-4 bowgobs. He had his throat torn out but managed to escape from the fight. He still bled out though. That's what I get for having all my champs still using wooden swords (I don't have a skilled stonecrafter for obsidian yet).
Then I'm impressed by this loss. I had a recruit fighting a goblin thief. He tore apart the goblin inflicted several brown wounds (including the arms) and a few greys. He knocked the goblin out and all looked good. Then the goblin woke up and stabbed once and hit the recruit in the heart giving him instantly a red wound without damaging anything else. The recruit also bled out but I was impressed by the goblin's display, he almost took out a wardog after that as well. I could have saved the recruit but my military has been quite lazy and slow to respond to activation and stationing.

On to the fort itself I think I'm up to 1.6k Stone laying about, 77 dwarves (just got the dungeon master woo) and god knows how many blocks I've crafted up. Time wise everything is going great into the 3rd summer but I'm worried about getting the next 5 years in before Monday =/. I'm really happy with the way this fortress is turning out contest or not so hopefully I can get the 8 years in as I'll probably keep playing it after the contest too, possibly. I think the last few steps for my projects will kill my framerate.

I'm excited to get the dungeon master training. I have no breeding pairs but I do have a bear, a wolf, and a cougar from the elves.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:29:42 am by Slogo »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: September 15, 2009, 11:40:59 am »

I am annoyed.

I had built my cistern, at the bottom+4 z-level, so way below the aquifer.  Mined the thing out, and then lined it with green glass walls and green glass floor.  Green glass pumps pump from the bottom+3 z-level, and after that there is nothing but green glass for it to touch, except for the ceiling.

I recently mined out a bit of the ceiling, and found to my dismay that the water is salty.  Is it the fact that I didn't remove the ceiling first that's responsible?  I can't think of anything else it could be.  But now it seems I have to remove the ceiling, drain the cistern, rip up the floor, relay the floor, and refill.  Sigh.

Also had my first death to the wildlife in 104.  Harpies killed a woodcutter.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: September 15, 2009, 11:56:10 am »

I had the same problem. My theory is that if water crosses a saline aquifer biome - even if the water touches nothing, it becomes salty.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: September 15, 2009, 12:30:33 pm »

I can more or less verify that (I had constructed a 1x1 cistern on an aquifer level to give water to an injured dwarf, and it was immediately salty), but this water is getting pumped *after* it has fallen through the aquifer levels, and bottom+4 is definitely not an aquifer level itself...
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: September 15, 2009, 01:11:13 pm »

Yeah, but they're not that dangerous- since they come singly. A nonameskill weapon-fighter eats them up. Actually, my marksdwarf shot once, then beat it about with crossbow without hammer skill to death.

Eh... I think he got lucky with an early hit and then capitalized.  They can be pretty ugly little shites, one on one. 
Nah. The swordsdwarf, unarmored, also took one with no wounds. (Iron Longsword, no quality)

EDIT: lemme check the stat-ups. Extremely Strong, Extremely Agile, Tough. And Competent Wrestler now along with Swordsdwarf...and has a narrow snakeman tunic in one hand along with the sword  :-X The marksdwarf is Perfectly Agile, too, just from yapping. That meeting hall to keep my surface sand active is working wonders...Axedwarf has two grimeling kills as well, with only no-name.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 01:29:08 pm by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: September 15, 2009, 05:00:42 pm »

2 projects down, 3 to go.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: September 15, 2009, 05:36:48 pm »

I just finished my third year. There were some... Fun moments.

Right at the tail end, due to a mistake on my part for a ramp designation, I sprung a leak into the depths of my fortress. I caught it quickly, fortunately, and I hadn't made a voluminous cavern yet, so it could be contained.

So I had my dwarves start building walls to seal off the flooding portion, and I had my miners dig into the magma pipe to plug up the leaks. The walls didn't get constructed very quickly, but I did get to the magma pipe... and lost a legendary miner in the process. I then dug just enough to hopefully seal off both the magma and the leaking aquifer with obsidian.

But I dug too much. The aquifer stopped leaking, but then I had a magma flooding problem. That killed two more miners, and a few useless haulers who wanted to clean the solidified globs of stone. I tried a few things, and those killed the miners, but ultimately I settled on digging through the obsidian cast of the pipe and using the aquifer to seal it from above.

So that took a bit of time to deal with. There was a goblin ambush while it was flooding, but I ignored it. When I checked, all the goblins were dead. Good for my champions!

So that was fun. Now that I have a mess down there, I'm going to have to fix it, and that will be time-consuming.

I think I've got a good idea what my projects are going to be, but I'm sort of operating freely and liesurely in getting them set up. I've almost finished penetrating the aquifer in two other locations, one by the soil collapse method, and another by the pump method. I'm planning on trying collapsing the aquifer itself, but that's not so much a demonstration of breaking through the aquifer, since you basically have to be underground already to begin with.

My dwarves are starting to build my walls faster, so hopefully I'll be pouring out obsidian casts in no time. Building the walls, though, is fairly time-consuming, so if anybody has a better method for making obsidian molds quicker, I'm all ears.

Other than that, slow progress, once again. It will be epic, it will be amazing! It will also probably be unfinished!
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 52