Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 90129 times)

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Deadline Monday, 9/21
« Reply #420 on: September 13, 2009, 04:22:59 pm »

My big Megaproject is done, 1 just requires me to clear stones, 1 is half-way done, one is dependant on completion of another project, and my last project I have just started.

I'm at the start of year 6.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 13, 2009, 04:41:50 pm »

I'm worried I'm going to run out of time again. A year and a half left to play and I need to get the megaproject done in 3 seasons to have time to finish the last two projects (though I'll be able to retask a bunch of dwarves to get it done). And I'm not even sure if the megaproject is going to work.

It's going to be close, no matter what. And the gobbos have left me alone the last year, oddly enough, which is a pity. I do love the ninja attacks.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: September 13, 2009, 05:23:59 pm »

I'm doing quite well on in game time but my progress is pretty slow. I'm just about to head into the 3rd year right now. Also it's nice to hear that I'm not the only one who's not sure if their mega projects will work. I'm pretty sure mine will be either pretty sweet looking or a catastrophic failure. Then again any other kind of project would be undwarfy.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: September 13, 2009, 06:11:40 pm »

I'm suspecting the largest of my current projects will not fit in the deadline, e'en with four years to go, ust by flow rates.

Food, drink coming out ears with just one farmer. GO GO CONJURERS OF VEGETABLES...anyone else notice that we got an Urist as a king?

And yeah, Alunite's abundant. Beating the bright cyan and yellow e'en, only behind the layers.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 06:31:41 pm by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: September 13, 2009, 08:29:47 pm »

Hooray! I made it to my second year. Congratulations are in order, mostly from myself, because this is hardly a noteworthy milestone.

Cool things about this map: It has sliver barbs, and the elves bring sun berries. This means that I have all plantable crops available to me for use (though those stupid elves haven't brought any sun berry products yet, so I can't plant the seeds). I've never dealt with sliver barbs before, but I imagine all my dwarves are enjoying their gutter cruor drinks. Delicious.

Anyways, this brings up possibly a cool new project: carpet murals, like those in Mountainbanners. I have six colors: dark green of undyed rope reed, light gray of undyed pig tail, bright green from emerald dye, bright red from redroot dye, dark blue from midnight dye, and dark gray from sliver dye. So that means I have RGB, white, and black. That means if I make a big enough carpet mural, and zoom out far enough, I can get a pretty detailed image, with a large range of potential colors.

Like hell I'm going to make it that large. I'll probably just keep it simple.

Anyways, things, for the most part, are calming down. There are a few injured dwarves, but they've healed up enough that they can work if they don't have a bed assigned to them. I have two soldiers getting trained, and I'm making some armor, so I should have something to deal with all those harpies and beak dogs, and goblin ambushes.

Two dwarves have died, both of the original seven. Ast and Catten, if you know them. Catten died first, to harpies, and then later, Ast died to beak dogs, with a torn out throat. Catten's death I could deal with, because woodcutters aren't exactly critical to a fortress, but Ast's death hurt, as I'm currently in the middle of a large mining project. Specifically, my fortress, where dwarves will live and work.

I'm also building a wall to keep those pesky critters out, and as a mold for five tile thick cast obsidian walls that I want to build. They're going to be plumbing for my wildfire machine, which I hope to use frequently. And they're, you know, going to be imposing. And impressive.

I'm also planning on doing something with that magma pipe. Drain it? Build a cast obsidian tower on top of it? Both? I haven't decided yet. It's days are numbered, though that number probably goes up into the hundreds.

I've paid for all the goods from the caravan with small amounts green glass goblets, so I've not had too much in the way of imports. But the cook and brewer is walking around again after suffering a broken lower body injury, so he's making prepared meals for trade goods. Delicious wild strawberry roasts for everybody!

I'm not making fast progress, so I'm worried that all my projects will not be complete by the end of the eight game year time limit, and I only have two weeks left in the deadline, so I don't know if I'll have enough time to play the rest of the map. To speed things up, I'm just going to have to draft several masons and miners to the cause, though I don't think I'll need as many as I did for Rivercross. Building takes forever, digging much less so, and obsidian casting (I'm presuming) if properly prepared, not as much time either.

Everything else, like getting a good cloth industry up and running, I can basically do at my leisure.

So that's what's going on with me.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: September 13, 2009, 10:37:50 pm »

Well, my FPS has recovered somewhat and in the final stage of the megaproject, things have sped up quite significantly thanks to a further refinement of techniques (the difference in speed based only on technique can be pretty startling). 

This has been a great challenge because I've learned a ton doing this - lots of stuff that just didn't occur in Morul's fortress. I rarely play aquifer maps, though I expect that'll change now.

For a military challenge, a ninja map like this, but with orcs would be pretty awesome. They'd almost certainly come on beak dog mounts, as well.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: September 14, 2009, 12:22:02 am »

ok, i'm starting my Alpha projes no, and i need to know one thing.

Does staying completely above the aquifer count as a project? i't caused me more hassles than all of my other projects combined.

Also, one of the criteria is that it be dwarfy, and what is more dwarfy than not digging into the ground?

LIST OF PROJECTS
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 01:10:02 am by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: September 14, 2009, 01:03:03 am »

Woo! Ninja titan!

Having one of those probing the edge of your magma pipe will certainly get your attention.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: September 14, 2009, 09:05:08 am »

For a military challenge, a ninja map like this, but with orcs would be pretty awesome. They'd almost certainly come on beak dog mounts, as well.

That'd be sweet to get the seed so we can regen the world with orcs. Ninja orcs + 2x aquifer layer sounds like trouble.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: September 14, 2009, 09:54:29 am »

Oh, good, flows a bit faster than I thought. Should work then.

...The majority of moods have been possessions. *eyetic* No failed moods, though. And the bonecarver's one le'el away from Legendary anyway. Nobody's died in a while, though it looks like anybody I was trying to train in military got nervous injuries.

On the side, double aquifers make nice swim-trainers.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 09:57:15 am by CobaltKobold »
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
Tilesets

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: September 14, 2009, 11:13:59 am »

The possessions are occurring apace for me as well.  Of the first 5 moods, 4 were possessions.  Currently, my sixth mood is a withdrawn glassmaker (yes!), but he wants silk cloth (boo!), which I have none of.  It's early summer, so it's kind of a coin flip about whether he's going to make it.

A shame.  I could really use a legendary glassmaker.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: September 14, 2009, 11:23:29 am »

Miner possessed (masonry), Weaponsmith secretive, glassmaker possessed, weaver secretive, bonecarver possessed.
and...dangit dwarves, use the same sense of not removing the construction someone's standing on, please?

PRAISE THE ELVES THEY HAVE BROUGHT A BREEDING PAIR OF GIANT LEOPARDS
« Last Edit: September 14, 2009, 12:26:59 pm by CobaltKobold »
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: September 14, 2009, 12:45:29 pm »

Woo! Another siege! 5 squads.

One squad of bowgobbos landed inside the inner defenses, hugging the magma pipe, led by an elite bowgoblin. Much to his dismay, he dropped immediately in front of two champion markdswarves, and after a frenzied exchange of ammunition, my dwarves walked off with brown wounds, the gobbo lay dead along with all of his companions.

A second squad of bowgobbos landed between the inner and outer defenses. They immediately cut down a peasant gathering wood, and then proceeded to kill about a half dozen cats and dogs, but their shots missed the dwarves working below. They were mostly mopped up by the inner trap line and the now-mustered marksdwarves.

The remaining 3 squads landed outside the outer defenses but a group of sword gobbos led by another elite bow gobbo opened fire on my miners, killing one along with some dogs. By the time the 4th squad reached the outer trap line, they gave up and ran off.

All told, I'm pretty happy to have only lost two dwarves, with no major wounded, considering the circumstances. I'm super happy that the champions took down the elite bowgoblin as fast as they did (the gobbo dropped his bow after taking a number of yellow wounds and then wandered around until the champions could get a clean shot at him again) and didn't sustain any injuries considering that I have virtually no armor on them - an oversight now being corrected.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: September 14, 2009, 12:57:02 pm »

My giant obsidian walls (if I build them) will be quite useless in the face of ninja sieges. I guess I'll have to fortify the four entrances I'm planning within the walls.

Oh well, cast obsidian is pretty cool. I think I have devised (but not implemented) a fairly easy system for that. I could do a theme or something for each entrance.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: September 14, 2009, 02:54:41 pm »

It's early summer, so it's kind of a coin flip about whether he's going to make it.

A tragecomedy, in three acts:

Prologue: Summer in the year 101.  The humans come to trade.  I don't really pay much attention, working on other things.  The humans die in a fire, literally.  I don't notice at all, hardly ever looking above ground.

Act the First: Summer in the year 102, in which the humans siege.  A little amused, I check the deceased list -- yep, the liaison had died dring the fire of 101.  I've killed many liaisons, trashed dozens of caravans in other games, but this is the first I've ever seen the humans siege.  Oh well.  Mostly ignored, time passes apace.  Eventually, I finish a drowning chamber for them, and open the entrance, but still they sit.  From our research, this is not unexpected, but it is annoying.  It's not until near the end of winter that they venture forth into it and drown.  Siege over, but I missed the dwarven caravan for the year.

Act the Second: Summer in the year 103.  A glassmaker withdraws from society!  He demands cloth!  Silk cloth!  We have none...and, the humans siege again!

His only hope is to get some from the dwarven caravan...but it won't come if there's a siege.  The humans must be repelled before autumn...but we have no military. 

Options are raised and considered, but there seems to be only one answer -- kill the humans with a wildfire.  The irony is not lost on the dwarves, seeing as the siege was started by humans being killed in a wildfire.  A wildfire machine is prepared, but progress is slow as everytime a dwarf goes outside, the humans charge at him, he runs off, they chase a little bit, then go back to their campfires.  Eventually, however, the machine is done, and a fire is started.

As it expands outward, some of the humans retreat up some ramps.  Fire won't go up the ramps, so they would live.  After a hurried conference, dwarves are sent out to gather plants in the already burnt out center of the fire, which lures the humans into charging into their fiery deaths.  Hurrah, the siege is defeated, days into autumn!

Act the Third: Autumn in the year 103.  Almost on cue, the dwarven caravan arrives...Armok be praised!  (I thought perhaps since it was three or so days into autumn before the siege was listed, no caravan would appear.) With impeccable timing, they arrive after the fire has burned out in their area, and unconcerned about the ashy wasteland, they head towards the Trade Depot.  On the way there, they trigger not one, not two, not three, but *four* goblin ambushes!  (I swear out loud at this.)

Dwarven and goblin bits go everywhere.  Some wagons and mules try to run, only to be cut down by crossbow fire.  Some dwarves escape, but most do not.  The goblins pick off the survivors, and then march directly into my drowning chamber, where they have the good graces to drown.  A quick scan of the stocks menu shows that one of the dead pack animals has a bin full of silk cloth!  It is speedily unforbidden, and my moody glassmaker sprints off to retrieve his prize amongst the smoking, charred, blood-soaked ruin that is the outdoors, totally oblivious to the carnage that was instigated on his behalf.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 52