Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: How Annoying are Abandoned Posts?  (Read 2372 times)

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
How Annoying are Abandoned Posts?
« on: August 18, 2009, 07:25:14 am »

After a long, unannounced hiatus and several intercontinental journeys, I have finally returned to the DF forums. However, my departure left me to abandon several (4, at my best count) forums I had been running. This got me thinking, and after picking at the question by myself for a while, I decided to present it to the forum goers.

So basically, how annoying is it for you when somebody abandons a post they created that you are a participant in?
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
Re: How Annoying are Abandoned Posts?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 07:27:09 am »

I believe you mean "threads". If this is so, then I agree whole-heartedly.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 07:33:00 am »

Yes. I promise myself that even if I lose interest, I will find a way to keep my thread going. After Penguin of Honor abandoned his RTD, I decided never to subject my players to that. It was annoying and upsetting (I was a frigging weather mage!)

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 07:36:14 am »

Yeah, it seems to be a reacurring theme for any forum games.  I rarely see it happen anywhere else though.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 09:44:44 am »

I find it EXTREMELY frustrating, especially if I have a well thought out character that I like, which I usually do. A finite length hiatus is not to bad, but a thread permanently ending makes my cry inside.
Also, webcomics, I HATE when a webcomic just dies.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 10:08:28 am »

Honestly discussion threads aren't that bad if abandoned. It's the RTD's and Let's Plays and Community Fortresses that sting when they're left hanging there.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 12:33:04 pm »

which reminds me, i need to get a move on with my next update for my lets play. JUST GO THERE FOR GODS SAKE!
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 01:46:50 pm »

This is exactly why I haven't started any of the bazillion forum games I want to do. Because I will get distracted, and they will fail :P Probably, anyway. Discussion threads, though, shouldn't need the OP around to stay alive, provided they were interesting to begin with.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 06:27:33 pm »

Although they get derailed fast, especially the ones in Life Advice.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 06:33:29 pm »

...You're talking about the Texas thread, aren't you?

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 06:37:19 pm »

I HATE finding old projects or comics areound the web that have been discontinued. It makes me feel empty inside.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 07:03:54 pm »

...You're talking about the Texas thread, aren't you?

:D Among other things. Although the Texas thread didn't have any guidelines beyond, "Hi, I'm from Texas, what's yours?"

Also, x2yzh9 seems to have a thing for starting a topic, then wandering off. Look what happened to the "How to get a girlfriend" thread.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 07:15:45 pm »

Yes, I just realized that I used "posts" incorrectly.

Anyways, I'm guilty of this as well, and have learned from experience that I'm liable to eventually abandon anything I start out of boredom. It's probably best if I stop making things and just stick to joining existing ones, if thats the case. Thanks for the feedback guys!
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 07:28:45 pm »

Heh. Right now I'm the first (and only) acii draw based story still active. I have such a massive ego that it appeals to me enormously.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 07:34:18 pm »

Just about everyone on this forum has a massive ego because they can understand ASCII graphics.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.
Pages: [1] 2 3