Dwarf Fortress > DF Modding

Making it possible to embark with non-standard creatures.

(1/4) > >>

Nerdgasmic:
I am new to modding. Looking over the creature tokens page on the wiki, one in particular caught my eye: COMMON_DOMESTIC.

According to the wiki, this tag (in tandem with pet and other tags) allowed the creatures it is associated with by the game to be purchased while embarking.

To make a long story short, I added [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to black bears and then generated a new world. Somehow, I was unable to take black bears with me on my journey.

Winterbrass:

--- Quote from: Nerdgasmic on August 18, 2009, 08:08:12 am ---I am new to modding. Looking over the creature tokens page on the wiki, one in particular caught my eye: COMMON_DOMESTIC.

According to the wiki, this tag (in tandem with pet and other tags) allowed the creatures it is associated with by the game to be purchased while embarking.

To make a long story short, I added [PET] and [COMMON_DOMESTIC] to black bears and then generated a new world. Somehow, I was unable to take black bears with me on my journey.

--- End quote ---
If black bears weren't common in the area where your Mountainhome was located, you won't be able to bring them. Just like if your Mountainhome's area has no bauxite, you won't be able to bring it on embark. Make sure you choose a Mountainhome within the appropriate biome.

GenericOverusedName:
Isn't there a tag in the entity raws that help define which creatures they'll use? I'm not very familiar with those files, though.

Neruz:
If you give the Dwarven entity the [USE_ANY_PET_RACE] then you'll be able to buy any animal with the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] tag on embark (GCS are friggin expensive) and the Dorfs will bring random animals like the elves. If you're feeling particulary haxy you can even request specific animals.

I tend to give it to the Humans instead so it's less haxy, but you might find adding the USE_ANY_PET_RACE tag could help; at the very least you will know that any critter with the PET tag that your home civ has access to will be available.

--- Quote from: GenericOverusedName on August 18, 2009, 09:06:30 am ---Isn't there a tag in the entity raws that help define which creatures they'll use? I'm not very familiar with those files, though.

--- End quote ---

Only works for Good and Evil creatures; by default they don't get used, you need the right tags to use Good or Evil creatures, but even then the race in question needs access to those creatures (needs a fort in the correct biome that has that creature in it) to makse use of it.

Hence why you so rarely see Goblins with Trolls and Beak Dogs.

Nerdgasmic:
Darn, I was worried that would be the case.

How would I go about selecting for Mountainhomes in specific biomes?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version