Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I just captured a live dragon: how do I tame?  (Read 10250 times)

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
Re: I just captured a live dragon: how do I tame?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2007, 12:52:00 pm »

When she arrived on scene, I immediately checked her "wnd" and there was no wings to begin with.  A dragon with no wings... I thought it strange.
Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2007, 12:59:00 pm »

All creatures which fly generally land at brief intervals, if I remember correctly. Therefore, you can trap them when they land.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2007, 01:18:00 pm »

Oh WOW!  I just queued up the highwood cage with the dragon to be sent to the trading post (so I could determine her value) and somehow she escaped.  Now she is tearing apart my whole fortress from the inside.  I hope my recent save didn't capture this.     :D

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]

Dumed Zustashlorbam, Fisherdwarf cancels Fish: Interrupted by Skeletal hammerhead shark.

Merlon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2007, 01:32:00 pm »

You can also push enter an additional time when viewing the cage to view the description and value of the contents. Safer that way.

Really cool that you captured a dragon btw. Now get another and you'll soon have a dragonfarm! Or, for whoever gets the reference, have it mate with a donkey for lots of flying somethings.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2007, 01:39:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Merlon:
<STRONG>Now get another and you'll soon have a dragonfarm!</STRONG>

I don't know if I could get that kind of advanced interaction - I think she's pretty intent on killing my dwarves instead.  

The best thing I can think of now is to put her in a pit, with a large retractable bridge on top, and pull it out from under seigers.  And even then I'm afraid she'd just ignore the goblins and pace back and forth.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

I got Idea. Just make some kind of main entrance, there put the draogn on chain. Make them unpassable for dwarwes. Make a minor way on side. When goblins arrive, the side path would be locked with levre doors, and they would have to take the dragon path.... I'm so clever  :D
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2007, 02:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Kyselina:
<STRONG>I got Idea. Just make some kind of main entrance, there put the draogn on chain. Make them unpassable for dwarwes. Make a minor way on side. When goblins arrive, the side path would be locked with levre doors, and they would have to take the dragon path.... I'm so clever    :D</STRONG>

In the old version the only person who could transfer hostile creatures from cage to cage (from cage to chain) was the dungeon master.  If a regular dwarf tries to do it, he'll walk a few steps with the beast, get scared and turn it loose.

EDIT: Nice try on getting us all killed

-dwarves

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2007, 02:21:00 pm »

My fortress has survived:

Mandrills
1 Hydra
1 Bronze Colossus
x Kobold thieves
1 Fake Seige
x Goblin thieves
1 Dragon

and now everyone is starving to death.  The caravan wagons, which were slow in arriving because of channels I had to cover, arrived with the food I needed but  got right to the trade depot before deciding to go leave.  What a waste!  All I needed was another few seconds.

I'm kind of happy its coming to an end so I can go through in Adventure mode.  Hopefully I'll get this farming thing figured out (as of now I haven't been able to get a choice to plant anything).

Lord_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2007, 02:51:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by ravensword227:
<STRONG>My fortress has survived:

Mandrills
1 Hydra
1 Bronze Colossus
x Kobold thieves
1 Fake Seige
x Goblin thieves
1 Dragon

and now everyone is starving to death.  The caravan wagons, which were slow in arriving because of channels I had to cover, arrived with the food I needed but  got right to the trade depot before deciding to go leave.  What a waste!  All I needed was another few seconds.

I'm kind of happy its coming to an end so I can go through in Adventure mode.  Hopefully I'll get this farming thing figured out (as of now I haven't been able to get a choice to plant anything).

[ November 03, 2007: Message edited by: ravensword227 ]</STRONG>

Unless you have seeds for where your farm is, you don't get a choice I don't think.  So, if your farms are above ground, I think the only above ground seed you can start with is Rock Nuts (at least I've never gotten the option to plant them below ground).  If you make your farms below ground, then you can plant plump helmets and all sorts of other stuff.  

You can trade for seeds or plants (that you can eat for seeds).  Dwarves tend to sell below ground seeds, elves sell a lot of above ground seeds.  You can also designate gathering plants in an area to collect plants to eat, or plants used for other stuff, and then sometimes you can use their seeds to plant stuff above ground.

If you have a layer of sand or loam or something like that, then you can build an above ground and below ground farm right from the start.  Otherwise, if you want to farm on underground on rock, you have to irrigate it by getting it wet and muddy.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Lord_Phoenix:
<STRONG>

I think the only above ground seed you can start with is Rock Nuts (at least I've never gotten the option to plant them below ground).</STRONG>

Rock Nuts are the seeds for Quarry Bushes, a subterranean crop.

Rondol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2007, 10:22:00 pm »

That's what I thought, but I've never been able to get an option to grow them (quarry bushes) either. I have the nuts, but not the option. Do they have to be grown on muddied stone, or can you grow them on sand/loam/etc?

Also -- deserts somehow tend to have a lot of fast growing pickable plants up on the surface. Pretty handy for early-game survival. Not that it takes long to set up farms when you have sand to work with... a pick will go through sand damn fast.

lay IVAN -- Fear Dwarves!

ravensword227

• Bay Watcher
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2007, 11:13:00 pm »

I survived as long as I did by turning my farmers into herbalist (plant gathering) and making brew and cooking the brew - it appears the old alcohol cooking bug is still in (prepared meals made of minced alcohol).

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2007, 07:08:00 am »

wow awesome. Is it possible to tame the dragons in this version? If not, AFAIK we can make them tameable in raws.
1 Dragon would be awesome to have for fortress defense.    :D

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: Tormy ]

BDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2007, 07:46:00 am »

>_>; If you had looked at the raws, you have would seen that they have been tameable for a while now; albeit only through the Dungeon Master.  [PET_EXOTIC] is the tag, and without the DM you can't tame the dragons (or, as mentioned above, properly move them anywhere such that they can be genuinely useful).  Also, unless something has been changed, if they've got a name for themselves (by, say, killing one of your dwarves) even when tamed they will feel the cravings for blood, and worse yet your dwarves will not react since it's 'tame'.

Also also, what it's possible to do in this version as far as dragons are concerned is *trap* them.  Granted, this will make it much easier to tame them without casualties and so not have to worry about them still killing things...

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]

A HREF="http://www.bay12games.com/cgi-local/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=12&t=000218">A Kobold''s Quest

A Kobold''s Quest II

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 04, 2007, 05:38:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by BDR:
<STRONG>>_>; If you had looked at the raws, you have would seen that they have been tameable for a while now; albeit only through the Dungeon Master.  [PET_EXOTIC] is the tag, and without the DM you can't tame the dragons (or, as mentioned above, properly move them anywhere such that they can be genuinely useful).  Also, unless something has been changed, if they've got a name for themselves (by, say, killing one of your dwarves) even when tamed they will feel the cravings for blood, and worse yet your dwarves will not react since it's 'tame'.

Also also, what it's possible to do in this version as far as dragons are concerned is *trap* them.  Granted, this will make it much easier to tame them without casualties and so not have to worry about them still killing things...

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: BDR ]</STRONG>

So basically named creatures will attack the dwarves even if they are tamed?

Pages: 1 [2] 3