Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Star Craft  (Read 6222 times)

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
Star Craft
« on: August 18, 2009, 06:30:44 pm »

I had an idea about making a SC mod.

Terran would be colonists and therefore "dwarves". Each generated world would be a planet.
You would make a command center with your scv's. The role of trees would be taken by crystal spires.
I'd still have to throw somehow vespene gas in. Probably in smelter reactions

Protoss would replace elves, in that they would start out peacfully, but you could anger them if you harvest too much crystal. "You must construct additional pylons!" That's a memorable quote.

Zerg would serve as both goblin and kobold. I'd really like to make various zerg attack you, not only zerglings. If anybody has any moding experience to do this please help.

I need to somehow make other resources beside vespene gas and crystal to be useless. I really don't want my fire bats fight with obsidian swords, or my SCV's to build a rock command center.

I'd probably feature vespene gas as a rock that you would mine out in layers. You would fuel some things with it. Metal would have to stay though.

I really have no moding skills so if anybody has good ideas throw them in.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
Re: Star Craft
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 10:55:47 pm »

Just put several creatures in one civ and they will attack, though more experienced people should do this first.

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 02:48:36 am »

Just put several creatures in one civ and they will attack, though more experienced people should do this first.

do you mean something like
[ENTITY:ZERG]
   [CREATURE:ZERGLING]
   [CREATURE:HYDRALISK]
        [ETC]
will make both zerglings and hydralisks creatures attack ?

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 03:03:08 am »

I recall somewhere that it'll randomly choose, though I don't know.

I might just try to make a basis for this.

Let's rock.

How tall is your average Protoss?

++EDIT++ Okay, maybe not. I have homewrk to catch up with, and I'm not either very knowledgeable about SC, or a great modder.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 06:13:36 am by Blargityblarg »
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 07:22:29 am »

Protoss are somewhat taller than Terran, but I'd make them same size to allow Terran to wear their armor.

I could make zerg a caste race, but that will wait till next release...

I gotta find another way to do them...

Btw. How do you make a race attack you on summer, or in year 1 generally?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 07:29:45 am »

ACTIVE_SUMMER
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2009, 03:53:00 pm »

Average Protoss is around 3 meters tall according to the box (Yes, I still have mine).

PaperJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2009, 04:29:47 pm »

[ETC]

I tried and apparently makes DF crash

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2009, 04:59:04 pm »

[ETC]

An adventure entity would allow all related creatures to be adventurers.
An actual civilization, though, I assume would simply result in the crash paperjack mentioned.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

guale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2009, 05:05:01 pm »

Could you make the zerg civ use one type as their default and then make all the others wild animals with the [EVIL] tag and give the zerg the [USE_EVIL_ANIMAL] token?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:14:23 pm »

On top of that you can make it so that zerg civs and creatures only show up in evil areas.

Also, as far as minerals go, a lot of stone ores are minerals, so they should work just fine if you play around with them.  After all, the upgrades for vehicles are for various metal platings.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 07:47:39 pm »

I had an idea about making a SC mod.

Terran would be colonists and therefore "dwarves". Each generated world would be a planet.
You would make a command center with your scv's. The role of trees would be taken by crystal spires.
I'd still have to throw somehow vespene gas in. Probably in smelter reactions

Protoss would replace elves, in that they would start out peacfully, but you could anger them if you harvest too much crystal. "You must construct additional pylons!" That's a memorable quote.

Zerg would serve as both goblin and kobold. I'd really like to make various zerg attack you, not only zerglings. If anybody has any moding experience to do this please help.

I need to somehow make other resources beside vespene gas and crystal to be useless. I really don't want my fire bats fight with obsidian swords, or my SCV's to build a rock command center.

I'd probably feature vespene gas as a rock that you would mine out in layers. You would fuel some things with it. Metal would have to stay though.

I really have no moding skills so if anybody has good ideas throw them in.

I was going to call this a preposterous and impossible idea, but after a bit of thought, it's surprisingly possible.

Through tilesets and renaming wood matgloss, you can easily change trees to crystal.

If you go through the .txt files for conversations, I believe the entry for wood diplomacy is in there, just change that.

I don't know much about multiple creature civs, but you could definitely use tags if you don't mind removing existing creatures.

You could easily mod soil levels to not produce rock, and only contain clusters of minerals.

Rooster

• Bay Watcher
  • For Chaos!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 06:19:13 am »

Doesn't using other zerg as animals do nothing?
They would actually have to take them along on sieges.
Which tag makes goblins take beak dogs and trolls come along on sieges?

With that I could finally make this mod...

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2009, 06:34:35 am »

Doesn't using other zerg as animals do nothing?
They would actually have to take them along on sieges.
Which tag makes goblins take beak dogs and trolls come along on sieges?

With that I could finally make this mod...

I'm tempted to say it's either hardcoded or part of the childsnatching behavior, since nothing in the raws indicate trolls being part of goblins.

Here's an idea:

Make a set of weapons specifically for zerg, along with weapons.

Example:
A weak sword for zerglings, and swordszerg would be named zergling in their civ.
Crossbow-like items for hydralisks

And then, make an ultralisk civilization (to be honest, you can just modify trolls since you'd want to purge most non-starcraft entries).

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2009, 09:33:32 am »

It's not hardcoded.  You just need the use evil animals tags and I think a tag to use mounts.  Then and the mount tag to whatever you want brought along.  They will only bring the creatures as mounts though so zerglings don't seem to work too good for that but maybe hydrolisks.  Depends on what your base creature is.  Zerglings riding hydrolisks seems weird.
Pages: [1] 2 3