Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10

Author Topic: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release  (Read 12533 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release
« Reply #120 on: August 28, 2009, 11:35:34 am »

Is there any way to change the keybindings in ADOM? I just downloaded it and I can't use my fecking class ability (whatever that might be). So many irritating buttons!
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 28, 2009, 01:30:48 pm »

Of course you can, but I dare say this is not the right forum to do it in. :P

Look up $HOME/.adom.data/.adom.kbd
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 28, 2009, 02:08:08 pm »

WITH GOD AS MY WITNESS, ALONG WITH ALL YOU PEOPLE ON THE FORUM, THIS GAME WILL NOT FAIL

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 28, 2009, 03:30:03 pm »

WITH GOD AS MY WITNESS, ALONG WITH ALL YOU PEOPLE ON THE FORUM, THIS GAME WILL NOT FAIL

Someone turn this into a "You shall not pass!" reference.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

magikarcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 28, 2009, 03:41:50 pm »

I do believe there have been larger gaps then 1 year. If not oh well, somethings gotta be the record. I am not concerned in the slightest that DF is, or ever will, slowly die out. I look forward to the next release more and more each day. I wish Toady would make more frequent releases, once a month or so, but having a year pass just gives you SO MANY more features to play with. Part of the novelty of DF is the fact that releases are infrequent yet huge. Personally I am fine with the system as it is, even though I wouldn't lose interest at all if it was released more frequently. Infact, the inverse may be true. I would probably spend MORE time playing if there were more frequent releases, but each release wouldn't be special and I wouldn't remember it more than a month or two.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 28, 2009, 03:43:28 pm »

FAILURE.

SHALL.
NOT.

PASS!
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 28, 2009, 03:53:55 pm »

^^^ Appropriate for a former teacher.

corvvs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2009, 12:02:11 am »

FAILURE.

SHALL.
NOT.

PASS!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2009, 02:52:48 am »

I'm a little surprised at all the 'True Believers' who don't think that a wait of a year without an update is a bad thing. Of course it's a bad thing! Toady is pretty lucky that he has fans who are willing to fund him on a voluntary basis without seeing anything more than the dev log updates.

Perhaps I'm cynical because I've produced computer games and I know that there are lies, damn lies and milestone schedule reports. It's always much easier to make a game on paper than it is to make a game that can be played. Frankly I would never have allowed any programmer to work for a year without some demonstrable deliverables. Perhaps Toady has those, but he hasn't demonstrated them to his customers.

I've been playing Dwarf Fortress for a couple of years, and I do remember the days of a release every couple of months. It kept my interest up in the project - it allowed me to see positive progress. Personally I would have worked about 50-75 percent of the time on the hidden infrastructure of the code and spent 25% of my time working on things that could be released. Progress is important.

The other thing that worries me is that I know the last 5% of the task takes 25% of the task time. We're still not at that last 5%.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2009, 03:04:51 am »

Of course such long release times are bad.  Toady has admitted the mistake himself.  However, I find salivating over the amazing detail in the next release to be enough for me, personally.  YMMV, of course.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2009, 05:05:39 am »

The other thing that worries me is that I know the last 5% of the task takes 25% of the task time. We're still not at that last 5%.

This. Testing is always long (and annoying, to add insult to the injury), and Toady hasn't done any global testing yet (which is normal since he hasn't finished the new features). With all the new features, and therefore possibilities, it's going to be a nightmare.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2009, 05:11:52 am »

I'm a little surprised at all the 'True Believers' who don't think that a wait of a year without an update is a bad thing. Of course it's a bad thing! Toady is pretty lucky that he has fans who are willing to fund him on a voluntary basis without seeing anything more than the dev log updates.

Perhaps I'm cynical because I've produced computer games and I know that there are lies, damn lies and milestone schedule reports. It's always much easier to make a game on paper than it is to make a game that can be played. Frankly I would never have allowed any programmer to work for a year without some demonstrable deliverables. Perhaps Toady has those, but he hasn't demonstrated them to his customers.

Heretic!

Throw him in the magma chamber Urist!

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2009, 06:01:53 am »

But JADE was not going to be commercial? I totally remember differently... of course, the last time I really looked at it was circa 2000 or so. 2001 maybe... possibly 1999. and it's still not out even in a beta form, is it? I think the last time I looked into it he had decided to change it into some sort of roguelike framework library instead of an actual game, but I could be totally misremembering there.

You're probably thinking of The Chronicles of Doryen, which is still in development, but led to the release of (the totally awesome) libtcod.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2009, 07:05:15 am »

One year is nothing. I got through 25 years without DF.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2009, 10:27:07 am »

I know its "bad that people loose interest", but really.. Is that a bad thing for toady? in his own words, he'll make the game if anyone plays it or not, its his vision (ok, the idea of those words at least). Having fans is nice, but is it worth not doing some major revisions of the game code? Probably not, because then he'd just be making the game for the fans, not the game he wants to make.
Magma is overrated.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10