Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release  (Read 12490 times)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2009, 10:57:11 am »

But how will he eat?

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2009, 11:35:03 am »

The one and only reason I have no problem with the long release is the fact that Toady tells us what he's doing pretty much every day. Assuming Toady isn't lying constantly (which I think is unlikely), we know the project hasn't gone all Duke Nukem us.

And I think Toady feels the same way, which is why the transparency level started high and has noticeably increased in the last few months.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2009, 05:27:35 pm »

The other thing that worries me is that I know the last 5% of the task takes 25% of the task time. We're still not at that last 5%.

This. Testing is always long (and annoying, to add insult to the injury), and Toady hasn't done any global testing yet (which is normal since he hasn't finished the new features). With all the new features, and therefore possibilities, it's going to be a nightmare.

That's why he has us. The next release is going to be hilariously buggy, and it's our duty to point them out while dealing with whatever comes to replace the carp.

Apolloin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 30, 2009, 02:44:34 am »

I know its "bad that people loose interest", but really.. Is that a bad thing for toady? in his own words, he'll make the game if anyone plays it or not, its his vision (ok, the idea of those words at least). Having fans is nice, but is it worth not doing some major revisions of the game code? Probably not, because then he'd just be making the game for the fans, not the game he wants to make.

He'd be making it in his spare time, however. Without the fans he'd need to be having a day job - without releases supporting Toady at his craft is a bit like lobbing money at one of those hermit monks.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 30, 2009, 02:53:27 am »

Yeah but I think he'll want to do a major debugging session before releasing, which could last a lot of time.

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 30, 2009, 03:52:41 am »

He'd be making it in his spare time, however. Without the fans he'd need to be having a day job - without releases supporting Toady at his craft is a bit like lobbing money at one of those hermit monks.

Except that he isn't doing it in his spare time, even now almost a year after the last release; He's still getting donations.
Magma is overrated.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 30, 2009, 04:01:40 am »

I believe that was the point.

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile