Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10

Author Topic: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release  (Read 12454 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: On Sep 6: One year since a DF release
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2009, 03:51:01 am »

Not to blow my own horn, but I kinda lit off a spark with this in the devthread a couple months ago.  Jon Fox's elaboration is pretty enlightening, and sums up a lot of feeling about wrapping so much independent work into one super-huge, super-long release.

But anyway, it's clear from all the intermittent media name-drops and new people registering to the forum all the time that, if public interest in DF has dropped, it certainly hasn't gone away.  As Toady has pointed out in all of his recent interviews, he knows this year-plus wait is getting ridiculous and possibly hurting the project, at least temporarily in donations if nothing else.  He's striking out a lot of extra stuff and working his butt off for the last couple months without so much as a free weekend.  And the list being greened out illustrates the same reality of any big project, you never know how close you are to finishing until you're almost done, and it looks almost done.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Spiral42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2009, 07:01:47 am »

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Edited for clarity.
Ahaha.
I think it means exactly what I want it to mean - obsolete and superfluous to future DF; much as most users no longer bother with the 2D builds.
Please note that I am using the UK English definition, and I do understand how it may be misinterpreted.
Add me on Steam: ColdSpiral

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2009, 07:23:48 am »

Following the devnotes Toady writes a few times a week, I have no worries at all that DF will bleed out, as Tome presumably did.
As I see it, Toady is working enthousiastically on DF, and allows himself some time on other projects and real life as well, as is healthy and normal.
And yes, almost a year is a long time to wait in eager anticipation, I agree on that..
But weighed against the crapload of new features and rewriting Toady has (had) to do, maybe it isn't that long at all. I think the wait will be definitly worth it.

Apart from that, I would really be pleased if next release came out on september 6th again. It's my birthday  :)
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2009, 07:27:20 am »

I wonder where this worry about save game compatibility changes comes from? I'd be as happy as another other DF player to hop into a new version of DF, even if it broke save games every month. Versions that don't break compatibility is just a bonus, that is all, it isn't a gift to be taken for granted. DF is still alpha and will be for a long time to come. I just gen a new world and get over it.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2009, 07:28:22 am »

Spiral, it's a quote from an awesome movie.

I have something to tell you. I'm not left handed either.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2009, 08:04:19 am »

And i have something to tell you; I too, am not left handed!

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2009, 08:18:06 am »

And i have something to tell you; I too, am not left handed!

How funny. Neither am I. But it doesn't really matter which hand holds the sock I bludgeon you with.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 08:22:05 am by Dae »

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2009, 08:23:33 am »

I don't mind if he doesn't release for a bit.  We've got the devlog so it isn't like he's stopped development. He's got a definite idea of what needs to be done and he's doing it. If that takes a bit, fine.

EDIT: Oh, another important part of it.

WE know what he's doing too.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

macdonellba

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2009, 10:51:09 am »

I think it means exactly what I want it to mean - obsolete and superfluous to future DF; much as most users no longer bother with the 2D builds.
Please note that I am using the UK English definition, and I do understand how it may be misinterpreted.
Redundance refers to superfluity through repetition or duplication, not obsolescence, which was exactly the word you were looking for. A modification can be rendered redundant by a new release if its features are integrated into the game proper; on the other hand, a save game cannot. If you don't believe me, check your copy of the OED. ;)

In any case, I'm not particularly worried about the development cycle, which shows no signs of being extended indefinitely. Unlike ToME, it's not exactly a volunteer-driven project, and the release objectives are quite well-defined. I have every confidence that a release will occur sometime before 2010.  :P

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2009, 11:01:00 am »

Does this guy realize before this arc that the last one had a large wait for release? Anyways, the constant dev_log updates bring warmth to my soul. Either ToadyOne has been spending his time creating a chain of incorrect dev_logs to mess with the community ( I highly doubt this ) or the new version will be released before the end of the year.

Edit:
Redundant. It's basically repeating something uselessly in a way that provides no benefit - developing a mod the adds in already existant features.

Edit number 2: I just noticed the irony.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:15:17 am by Zironic »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2009, 11:52:18 am »

And I have something to tell you; I too, am not left handed!

Hello. My name is Enigo Montoya. You quoted my post, prepare to die.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2009, 12:02:58 pm »

Hello. My name is Enigo Montoya. You quoted my post, prepare to die.

To pull this little diversion back to Dwarf Fortress:

EDIT:  Sigh... I put way, way too much work into that.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2009, 12:18:20 pm »

AWESOME!

You get points for the Enigo screenshot, and bonus points for having a Rowanas quote in your sig.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 19, 2009, 01:37:12 pm »

I joined the community just over a year ago I guess. We had a release, the first one I played, sometime in August.  In that one merchants would get killed by your traps. Hiliarious.

A month later the September release came out and I remember being shocked that any Indy team could patch their product that fast. This is going to be GREAT I said to myself, a release every month!

Well, that wasn't the case.

A year between releases is resonable. People who got bored of 40d will come back when they here the next release is out. The day the Devnow log goes silent for a month is when the fans will really disappear. Maybe the Devlog should be on the front page of the website? I know it took me months to find it.

I will say though, that I some times get furstrated by devnow. I ask myself why we have 200 types of vermin and 10 types of trees but squads suck. Every time Toady redesigns the raws from the ground up there is a chance he will have to go in and edit that vermin or tree type you never see. Maybe those should be added in the last round of development?

A great example of that was the statues stuff. How long did it take him to add the ability for dwarves to make different statue types? It is like the ascii version of graphics, spending time on things that increase the cool factor but not the funcitonality. If I can imagine that green "G" is something to be feared, I can imagine statue types myself.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 01:37:47 pm »

Toady has already stated that he bit off more than he should have when he started this update, and has said he does not intend to do such a long term project in the future for many of the same reasons listed above. This is just something we all have to wait out, and then things will be back on track.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10