Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]

Author Topic: A rousing game of TACTICUS!  (Read 17406 times)

Emmanovi

• Bay Watcher
  • Why do we play DF? For Dwarven Science, of course!
    • View Profile
Re: A rousing game of TACTICUS!
« Reply #195 on: August 28, 2009, 01:53:31 pm »

Ah, well, normally I would wait a short while to allow other prospective players to get a look in (wouldn't be sporting, otherwise!) but I'm afraid I'm forced to implement a certain rule here. By virtue of the TACTICUS and Symbols: What the blazes does this J mean, anyway? guide, built directly on original Pantsheim principles:

"Should there ever be pieces owned by different players on the board with the same representational character, it falls upon one player to modify, at least temporarily, their own identification, to prevent any instances of "was that my T or yours?", the likes of which have caused bickering amongst beverage-loving gentlemen the world over."

Simply put, I redesignate Carv O'Woody as W.

Code: [Select]
:.╔═══╗';.'
.,║++W║,,.♣
,'║+C+ ..;'
,:╚═══╝.''♣
╗'.',''.',.
║U.`UU.'U,U

Since I've made such a change, I'm forced to continue with a full turn. Now, since there are more than three beings infected with a plague- or zombie-like virus on the boad, all the conditions for the Scramble the Fodder! rule from the addendum Militia in Human Society: Well, Somebody's Got to Stop the Buggers are met. As such, I get to automatically rush in D6 peasants armed with random weapons.

*rolls dice*

Three brave young humans, mostly useless, rush in to defend the village. They are armed with... *rolls and looks up in table* well, that's interesting. It looks like they're all armed with -rope reed socks-. Well, that's one way to defend, I guess. They are designated F, by default.

.,║++W║,,.♣
,'║+C+ ..F'
,:╚═══╝FF'♣
╗'.',''.',.
║U.`UU.'U,U

Unfortunately, they can do nothing else this turn.

Aha! Now, I have to quote some obscure bits of game literature. Cross-referencing the aforementioned Cave Creatures in TACTICUS with the Let's Make Sense of This, Please: How to Avoid Crushing Problems in TACTICUS edition I have on my bookshelves, I must roll a d100 to check Carv's response to the crocodile.

*rolls*

87? Dearie me, but I'm afraid he has a phobia of crocodiles in general! That means he must automatically flee by the only visible route. I invoke the Well, At Least It's On The Way rule, found easily within everybody's copy of TACTICUS: Making the Best of a Bad Situation, thus allowing Carv to rush to a tree and start chopping.

.,║+++║,,W♣
,'║+C+ ..F'
╗'.',''.',.
║U.`UU.'U,U

Also, I have a 1 in 3 chance of being permitted to extend the game board again... *rolls* Ah, not this turn.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 02:26:42 pm by Emmanovi »
This is Dwarf Fortress, a masterly crafted game. It is adorned with bands of epic, and is studded with spikes of awesome. On the game is an image of a toad and many dwarves. The dwarves are worshipping the toad. The toad is laughing. The dwarves are dying.

Dywindel

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2009, 03:48:38 pm »

I'm sorry, but under the legislation of the New TACTICUS Manual of 93 (That's 93AD not 1993) Any use of Crocodiles in a single game is limited to a forty-two exact mentions, after this the crocodile must be transported to the nearest bus station - if bus stations exist in this universe - and replaced with a tiny golden skeleton key. Or an alligator.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2009, 10:44:59 pm »

Shenanigans! That would predate Pantsheim himself! Regardless, there are no valid bus-stops on this plane.

Anyway, the crocodile goes to apologize to Carv for scaring him, and ask if he could please stay for a few turns because he can't find the bus-stop and although he doesn't know where he is, it looks like an awfully long walk home.
.,║+++║C,W♣
,'║+++ ..F'
╗'.',''.',.
║U.`UU.'U,U
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 29, 2009, 11:53:38 am »

Before I start I have to play the rule 'All Creatures Stick Together' from the book "General Rules For Using Random Stuff In TACTICUS" Which stats 'If at any one point an animal (list of animals that include the croc) has to leave the board, all animals (zombies are included, no I don't know either) that you control can partition to keep the affected animal on the board on a roll of D10'

*rolls, looks at table*

The croc can stay even if Wood doesn't want him to as the zombies partition has strong support from Ironblood himself.

RIGHT! I roll to see what my zombies are doing

*rolls another funny dice*

The 2 on the right stay put, the left one wanders a bit and the rest are unaffected.

.,║+++║C,W♣
,'║+++ ..F'
╗U.',''.',.
║,.`UU.'U,U

The other two go to greet the militia.

.,║+++║C,W♣
,'║+++ ..F'