Dwarf Fortress > DF Dwarf Mode Discussion

Why are only the underground crops seasonal?

(1/2) > >>

Zantan:
This has always bugged me.  The underground crops, which do not rely on sunlight and presumably are unaffected by seasonal variations, are seasonal, but the aboveground crops can always be planted every season.  Why is this?

kefkakrazy:
Placeholder, rather than intentional, I'm sure.

-Yeah, I just checked. Season growth is all in the raws; ten minutes of modding could set it aright once you decided which plants should grow in which season. I imagine Toady would rather code for the next release rather than muck with something that doesn't matter all that much.

I mean, I'll bet that eventually plants will check for temperature rather than season. What happens, for instance, if you want to grow rope reed, but rope reed only grows in summer? You're on a freezing map and your summers are slightly warmer than a temperate map's winter, say.

Zantan:
Then couldn't we make the changes, and humbly offer them to Toady to include in a future release?  I would be really interested in making contributions like this, but I'm not sure how the process works.  I would love to help make improvements to DF, even if it is just making the placeholders better.

Elvin:
I seem to remember reading about this in the bloats somewhere, i'll go have a look now.

And if it is there, it means Toady will try to include it in v1, whenever that gets released.

Skorpion:
Well, tweak it and post it, or maybe put it on the wiki. If people like it, people will stick it into their copy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version