Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Caravan guards attack goblin prisoners being caged  (Read 2289 times)

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
[40d] Caravan guards attack goblin prisoners being caged
« on: August 19, 2009, 08:13:32 pm »

While transferring a bunch of goblins from one cage to another, my Dungeon Master decided (for no apparent reason) to release some of them before caging them (by fetching another cage, putting them into the cage, then moving said cage to my animal stockpile). That's one annoyance, but not the core issue in this case. After this happened a few times, he got around to dragging said goblins into their new assigned cage, though over a rather long distance (though he's brave and doesn't let go of them).

The problem is that while he was doing this, the Human caravan arrived, and the path from the animal stockpile to the destination cage went right past the trade depot, so while he was dragging the goblins along, the caravan guards opened fire with their crossbows and killed two of the goblins he was transferring.

One would expect that if my own dwarves trust my Dungeon Master enough to drag hostile creatures past them, the caravan guards would leave them alone as well, though caravan guards already have a history of being overly aggressive.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Caravan guards attack goblin prisoners being caged
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 12:48:33 pm »

I get a similar bug where groups of haulers moving multiple hostiles at once appear to get interrupted by one anothers' charges, leading to tragedy. Dwarves hauling prisoners should always prioritize the hauling task and make an effort to get their prisoners back in their cages if the job becomes impossible.

Alternately, hauling hostile creatures could become a military or fortress guard task with the jailers killing their charges if they get loose, much like mahouts carry knives so that they can kill their elephants if they go berserk.