Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: "wherever he might be"  (Read 2454 times)

Rexor

• Bay Watcher
  • Sheep in wolf's clothing.
    • View Profile
"wherever he might be"
« on: August 20, 2009, 04:11:32 am »

What's the fastest way of finding a task NPC? Some directions would be nice, but noooooo! Am I forced to painstakingly look at each and every person in a village? NPCs have hard to remember names, to top it all off.

This is my first day playing adventure mode, by the way. I've played the fortress mode for... God knows how long.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: "wherever he might be"
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2009, 04:24:13 am »

What's the fastest way of finding a task NPC? Some directions would be nice, but noooooo! Am I forced to painstakingly look at each and every person in a village? NPCs have hard to remember names, to top it all off.

This is my first day playing adventure mode, by the way. I've played the fortress mode for... God knows how long.

I would only ask human majors, as they're always in the mead hall. Dwarven leaders are USUALLY in the deeper levels of the fortress. As for elves? Well  You should just kill them on sight anyway

Rexor

• Bay Watcher
  • Sheep in wolf's clothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2009, 04:29:31 am »

I would only ask human majors, as they're always in the mead hall. Dwarven leaders are USUALLY in the deeper levels of the fortress. As for elves? Well  You should just kill them on sight anyway

Right, well, I guess it's realistic, not knowing where a person is, but not getting any directions isn't. As for killing elves, I rolled an elf... ::) Just for the sake of not playing dwarf for once. Thanks for the reply.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 04:32:21 am »

Right, well, I guess it's realistic, not knowing where a person is, but not getting any directions isn't. As for killing elves, I rolled an elf... ::) Just for the sake of not playing dwarf for once. Thanks for the reply.
check out
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=36215.0
for more help

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 11:28:26 am »

My notes:
Human Weapon Masters: No matter what time of the day, human weapon masters will be in the mead hall, where you appear. However, if it is late they will immediately head for their homes so you may need to intercept them before they reach the door. The human capitals are not very different from the normal towns; humans have no central leadership so each weapon master is only a local leader of their own town, even at the capital the weapon master only rules the capital itself and not the other towns. Ignore the keeps; unless you're playing with a mod like LL no leaders hang out in the Keeps.
High Priests: Humans and Goblins will often suggest you ask the High Priest for quests but in all my times of doing this all this will do is allow you to join their religion. If you want to join the religion, the High Priest, as long as it is a reasonable time of day, should be wandering around the temple. Worth a visit at least as Temples are often the most interesting parts of a town/dark fortress because there are so many different kinds.
Dwarven Mayors/Kings/Queens: Pretty hit and miss here, I generally find them on the outside of the fort but sometimes they move around; once a Queen I was following ran out of the fort and became a migrant unable to give out quests. Both Mayors and Kings/Queens can be found and both will assign Quests, which is nice. If you can't find them outside the fort I wouldn't really bother as mountainhomes take forever to search. As you might imagine the Kings/Queens can only be found at the Capital.
Elven Druids: Druids, who look like flashing peasants, are generally found in the middle of their Forest Retreats but it can be a bit hit and miss. Just keep looking; they don't usually seem to move and hopefully will be in the same place once the Quest is completed. Probably the 2nd easiest to fine as you just look around the Forest. Despite people saying they dislike the Elves, in adventure mode they invariably give out the best Quests because Elves are not attacked by normal animals, so the only targets for your Quests will be Mega/Semi-Megabeasts or the leaders of enemy factions. Even though elves do have a capital there is nothing special to see there; still only one Druid who to my understanding is only in charge of the Retreat, not the civ.
Goblin Weaponmasters/Demons: In my experience the hardest to find; most Dark Fortresses are multitowered making it very difficult to find the leaders as there are several multifloored towers with twisty passages. Generally they will be in the tallest tower but this is not a definite fact. Sadly, they move around sometimes and are very difficult to find. In my experience the Demons are only in the Capital while weaponmasters exist in every Dark Fortress as local leaders. The goblins, on the rare occasions I find their leaders, often have fun Quests as they generally seem to be at war with other civs.

Ok, so those are my experiences for finding the local leaders. Best of luck to you on those assassination missions; they can get pretty bloody pretty fast.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.