Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Red Army Soldier  (Read 2052 times)

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Red Army Soldier
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 08:32:18 pm »

Actually, that's not far from the truth. If you see a rifle, grab it. If you meet up with a German before that, kill him by any means necessary. Cowards running away from entrenched Germans because the Germans have weapons and they don't will be shot.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 11:25:05 pm »

Unless they were part of one of the Guards Divisions, most Russian soldiers had little, if anything, in the way of weapons. Basicly, give two guys out of ten rifles, and just give the rest ammo. they were simply told to wait till the rifle-carriers died, then pick up the guns and start shooting. one group of soldiers in stalingrad commandeered a bottle factory to make Molotov cocktails, thats how bad it was.

and brutal doesn't even come close to describing house to house combat. there were no tactics, you were either feet or inches from your enemies, and the winners were the ones who threw thier grenades first. one battle basically ended up with russians and germans swapping floors in a two story house. and all this while being bomed and pounded by planes and occaisionally close range artillery.

this does not mean the average soldiery in the red army was bad. far from it. they were tenacious, brave soldiers who fought for love of Mother Russia, and when well lead, were excellent soldiers. they had excellent tanks in the T-32, and the Artillery was strong and well trained.

the problem is they were rarely well led. the purges of 1935 had decimated the leadership of the army, and what was left had little, if any initiative. the addition of political commisars simply made it even worse. 80% of those in charge had gottewn there by political favors, and had little knowledge of tactics.

There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 01:50:23 am »

Stalin going disappearing for 3 days didn't help, especially since the purge had made everyone else to afraid to command, leaving troops in Stalingrad utterly leaderless for three whole days. Stalin wasn't a good leader really, killing almost as much of his men as the Germans, on a scale comparable to the holocaust, unfortunately glossed over by the fact the Soviets were on the winning side. Not that they didn't deserve to win, Russia certainly both took and caused the most casualties during the war (and without whom as an ally we would have lost) but Stalin sure as hell deserved nothing less than to be hung, drawn and quartered. Slowly.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2009, 02:16:59 pm »

stalingrad wasn't leaderless. stalin vanished right as Barbarossa started, then he gave a Kickass inspirational speech. By stalingrad, he was back and leading rather well.

And include that house that they turned into a fortress and held out in for like a month before reinforcements.

that would be Pavlovs House. Pavlov and around 17 other men held off several hundred German troops, tanks, and guns, and endured point blank artillery fire.

and don't for get the soldier who was reported dead by his subordinates, they being to chicken to go find him. far from dead, he proceeded to sneak through the german army, swim to an island in the middle of the volga, make a raft, row it the rest of the way across, and walk the rest of the way to HQ.

heck, stalingrad was pretty much a CMoA for the entire red army

if you want to read more about Stalingrad, the Time-Life book "Red Army Resurgent" is a good one. for personal experiences, read "Enemy at the Gates; the battle for Stalingrad"
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 12:19:28 am »

OH HEY

“Death solves all problems – no man, no problem.” –Joseph Stalin

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2009, 12:21:02 am by Squeegy »
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 12:35:46 am »

Furry World War II huh?  Kay.

Some of the sentences and passages are a little wonky, like turns of phrase repeated too often or clauses that don't quite fit together, where it sounds like a sentence wanted to say one thing and ended up somewhere else.  Altogether it's on the right track, it just needs some read through and revision for it's sound.

I've always had mixed feelings about phonetic spelling and accents.  On the one hand, it adds some extra character that just describing the accent doesn't provide.  But I think it's unnecessary when everyone in the story is speaking the same way.  I say it should be used to demonstrate confusing differences in the way people are talking - when everyone's using the same phonetic accent it's just that much harder to read what's really the same story.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2009, 12:41:18 am »

I've always had mixed feelings about phonetic spelling and accents.  On the one hand, it adds some extra character that just describing the accent doesn't provide.  But I think it's unnecessary when everyone in the story is speaking the same way.  I say it should be used to demonstrate confusing differences in the way people are talking - when everyone's using the same phonetic accent it's just that much harder to read what's really the same story.
Well, if you read it a few times you'll notice that they don't actually have all the same accents-- Alik's accent is lighter than the rest, and one of them has quite a thick accent.

Furry World War II huh?
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles
Pages: 1 [2]