Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Tales from the Linux  (Read 5338 times)

VonGuard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gism.net
Tales from the Linux
« on: August 20, 2006, 06:25:00 pm »

Greetings. I absolutely adore this game! OMGKITTENSMEWMEWMEWSWEEPINWIFMYDWARFIES! SOCUTE!

So, I've been playing on Windows 2000. No troubles, save for when I was a dumbass and dragged the files from the zip window into a new folder in Windows Explorer. When I did that, I got an error that said "Main Index File Missing/Corrupted"

Fine. I just needed to extract instead of drag and drop so the file structure was preserved.

Now, I am trying to install the game on my Ubuntu Linux laptop. I've hoped to do it in Wine, and it looks like this would be possible. The game starts and asks if I want to go to fullscreen mode. Unfortunately, the same problem occurs here as it does under Windows when you diddle the file structure of the game and its subdirectories. "Main Index File Missing/Corrupted."

This time, however, I preserved the file structure. I'm sure that the issue is the use of a /-based Unix file system, versus a \-based win32 system.

Not sure if there's anything that can be done in the source code that can fix this. Just thought I'd add my Linux experience to the pile of reports herein.

Fuzzpilz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://asdruihofvnuaeiorsz7iasnodfiaz7sd.com
Re: Tales from the Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2006, 06:37:00 pm »

My guess is that it's actually a line break problem. If so, then (depending on how Toady reads the plaintext files) it's probably pretty easy to work around.

VonGuard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2006, 08:07:00 pm »

Is there a workaround already posted anywhere that could relate to the issue here?

onerobot

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2006, 10:58:00 pm »

quote:
I'm sure that the issue is the use of a /-based Unix file system, versus a \-based win32 system.
It is, but can be avoided by running wine through a terminal.

Navigate to the folder the game is in and use:

code:
WINEDEBUG="-all" wine dwarfort.exe

to run the thing, or create an empty document and enter:
code:
#!/bin/sh
cd /path/to/.wine/c/dwafort
WINEDEBUG="-all" wine dwarfort.exe

then CHMOD it and start it that way.

Hope that works!

maus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 04:18:00 pm »

To me DF runs in wine quite good. Although i hear sound cracks sometimes. After setting wine to oss sound driver and running it with nice -n 19 they almost dissapeared.

The only problem is slowliness of saving and loading.

Does anybody know, if native Linux version is being planned? Seems to me it's not difficult at all to recompile for Linux. Probably wgl is the only non-portable library being used.

flap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 05:30:00 pm »

So some linux user jump on the wiki to write these very usefull bits of hints ?   ;)

VonGuard

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2006, 07:46:00 pm »

Onerobot:

Your work around worked! Yay! My Dwarvies work in Ubuntu!

ReanaTheRogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2006, 12:42:00 pm »

This thread has some info on the chances of a Linux/Mac port.  I have it working on Wine under Mandrake Linux, but it's very slow.  I had to disable sound due to constant error messages (but I've always had sound troubles on this version of Linux).

Any help for making it run at normal speed with Wine?  It's already nice -10 and nothing else is running.  It's just taking all of the CPU for itself.

Sheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2006, 10:36:00 pm »

The game will bog down even on top of the line Core Duo processors in Windows - I wouldn't expect to get it running at full speed under an emulator until some serious optimization is done to some of the loops in the game, notably checking if living objects are hungry, thirsty or tired or checking to see if the path to their destination is blocked.  As it stands it seems that all of these are checked with every turn.  If the checks were moved to every 3rd or 4th turn and/or staggered, it would speed up the game considerably on all platforms.

Slartibartfast

• Bay Watcher
  • Menaces with spikes of Tin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2006, 02:30:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sheep:
<STRONG>The game will bog down even on top of the line Core Duo processors in Windows</STRONG>

Really?
My bottom of the line AMD Athlon 64bit 3000+ seems to run it just fine :P
But what do I know?
Everything I say should be taken with atleast 1 tsp. of salt, and another liter of Dwarven Wine is recommended.

"I thought it was the size of the others!" said Vanon. "I guess it was just standing further away!"

Clay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2006, 02:42:00 pm »

Hmm..  I'm running XGL and Compiz and I get an error that it cannot correctly open an OpenGL window.  Ideas?  (Ubuntu Dapper)

Digito

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2006, 04:59:00 am »

I've taken my own shot at getting it to work on Linux (Knoppix/Debian to be a bit more exact) and through using Wine I've run into the same error as the guy just before me. Says it can't open an OpenGL window.

I'm hoping there's some way to work around this as I'm absolutely dying to try this out. Looks awesome.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2006, 12:41:00 pm »

I don't know much about the various emulator issues (perhaps somebody who's overcome this problem can help), but we're currently waiting for news on a Kobold Quest port, if anybody actually undertook that project.  Perhaps I'll post about that now, since I'm not sure what's going on.  If it turned out nobody was actually interested, I can probably write a crappy SDL port myself and try to secure means to compile it.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

StoneToad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2007, 09:27:00 pm »

[Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I felt posting info about how to fix the OpenGL window error was worth it]

It seems to be actually a problem with DRI and wine not falling back to software rendering automatically (probably a feature... but I wish the error message was clearer).

This link has instructions on how to fix the wine opengl window issue in Ubuntu: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=361136

I was able to get it working with just removing the fglrx modules and then reinstalling libmesa-dri in synaptec, YMMV.

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2007, 09:46:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Slartibartfast:
<STRONG>
Really?
My bottom of the line AMD Athlon 64bit 3000+ seems to run it just fine :P</STRONG>

Makes me feel old that my Athlon64 3400+, brand new when I got it three years ago, is that close to "bottom of the line." -_-

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.
Pages: [1] 2