Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29

Author Topic: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife  (Read 26246 times)

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
Re: Is Death the End? - Bay 12's Musings of the Afterlife
« Reply #30 on: August 23, 2009, 06:36:24 pm »

Hmm... Good point.
I honestly have no idea how I would transfer the consciousness.
If it were possible, that would be ideal, otherwise, the replacing part sounds like the way to go.
If I could keep the brain in good shape though, I would still be able to live forever.
Who knows, maybe the brain itself can be gradually replaced by robotic parts and still preserve everything.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 23, 2009, 06:39:18 pm »

It's too bad the body part that is basically responsible for everything that makes us human is also one of the body parts that doesn't regenerate.

If they can replace the brain with a robobrain, which would basically have to be some kind of supercomputer with an organic interface so as to do it gradually, I'm all for it. Transhumanism is the afterlife.

Also slightly impossible, so far.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 23, 2009, 06:43:49 pm »

Impossible is nothing.
Transhumanism is the future.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2009, 07:09:20 pm »

Alright, so I believe people have two bodies: A physical and a spiritual. The entire point of the physical body is to develop the spiritual body. Basically, our entire life is a giant tutorial. The universe is a giant lesson. This lesson allows us to grow spiritually.

Now before people bump in saying "What what about this...", know this is a "What do you think happens after death" thread, not a religious thread. Explaining why my spirituality doesn't make sense would require hours of explaining why shit hit the fan for the human race. I know this is a discussion thread, but we really cannot handle religion. So I'll just show this and move on.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 23, 2009, 07:11:45 pm »

I can handle religion! I'm mellow that way. ;D (It's politics I can't, because sooner or later I start name-calling. :( )

Can you PM me your thoughts on spirituality? I would like to know. I've a thirst for knowledge that can never be satistifed.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 23, 2009, 08:06:23 pm »

I'm not very fond of agnosticism, but thats how my view of the afterlife is, i don't believe in it, but i think it'd be awesome if there is actually something.

Am i the only one that likes the idea of D&D style afterlife? I don't think hell would be so awful if it was like the nine hells of baator :o, i'm happy as long as i don't end up in the happy hunting grounds.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 23, 2009, 08:09:30 pm »

I thought the DnD afterlife eventually subsumes you into the raw material of your plane - like if you end up in lawful good afterlife, you become one with Law and Good, losing any and all sense of self.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2009, 08:13:07 pm »

Well, thats a bummer.
Rising up through the devil ranks would sure make for a interesting afterlife, IE Orcus style.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2009, 08:19:19 pm »

That's what the undead legion is for.
Become a lich.
Vecna (I think that's who it is) was just an ordinary person at one point, but is now a lich-god of undeath and secret knowledge.

Also, nice quote in your signature.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2009, 08:23:00 pm »

Personally, I'd rather not do any sort of transhuman material immortality.  Setting aside the fact that the universe, as we currently understand it, has a finite span of its own (set aside because we might be able to change that fact), I simply can't see how I wouldn't end up bored with it.  After a while, even new things are likely to seem only to be variations on a theme than anything else.  I'd end up something like that alien from the Hitchhiker's Guide series that got so bored he had to go around to each individual in the universe and insult them personally.  I'd eventually want to find my way outside time.

Maybe that's why my perceptions of the afterlife don't have time involved - an infinite amount of time going as we currently experience it would not be pleasant for me (that, and it fits with my preexisting spiritual/religious views).
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 23, 2009, 08:32:02 pm »

I think the living forever thing is only appealing to people who have an unobtainable goal.
I lust for knowledge and want to see everything.
People to whom immortality appeals to because they don't want to die will be miserable.
Besides, if you get bored, there's always suicide.
It's not like some crazy magical immortality that prevents you from dying altogether.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2009, 08:38:54 pm »

Besides, if you get bored, there's always suicide.

Well, since I assume that it's not an all-of-humanity or nothing deal, I just wouldn't partake of it, it comes out the same in the end (less control over the exact time of death, but I've always appreciated a bit of uncertainty).  I certainly wouldn't prevent others from trying to do it if they want to.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 24, 2009, 01:36:56 am »

Who knows, maybe the brain itself can be gradually replaced by robotic parts and still preserve everything.

I think that's possible. Analog to digital conversion helps in converting pictures to digital pictures. I'm sure that given enough time, someone will figure out how to put the brain on a massive computer. Irony is that brains always last much longer than computers.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 24, 2009, 03:13:41 am »

Personally, I'd rather not do any sort of transhuman material immortality.  Setting aside the fact that the universe, as we currently understand it, has a finite span of its own (set aside because we might be able to change that fact), I simply can't see how I wouldn't end up bored with it.  After a while, even new things are likely to seem only to be variations on a theme than anything else.  I'd end up something like that alien from the Hitchhiker's Guide series that got so bored he had to go around to each individual in the universe and insult them personally.  I'd eventually want to find my way outside time.

Maybe that's why my perceptions of the afterlife don't have time involved - an infinite amount of time going as we currently experience it would not be pleasant for me (that, and it fits with my preexisting spiritual/religious views).

Yeah, but he had a silly name. I'd go around insulting everyone too if I was called Wowbagger the Infinitely Prolonged.
(I'm surprised this thread is still sane, given the touchy subject matter)

My theology prof thinks the same way. He says, "believe whatever the hell you want, as long as it has internal consistency."

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 24, 2009, 03:15:51 am »

My personal belief is Christian, but I think the sanest one is 'Oh I don't care, believe what you want, it's not like I can prove you wrong'.

We'll find out. We'll all find out.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 29