Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Getting various biomes on smaller maps  (Read 4039 times)

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
Getting various biomes on smaller maps
« on: August 31, 2009, 04:56:52 pm »

It seems that there are a lot of interesting biomes in the game, such as tropical, arctic, etc., that only appear on Large or bigger maps. Is there any way to get these to appear on smaller maps?
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Getting various biomes on smaller maps
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 05:33:00 pm »

It's not exactly sure as to what makes a biome tropical, but it should be possible to get pretty much every other biome on a smaller map if you change the world gen settings to reflect what you want.

There's a thread somewhere with a lot of information on the advanced worldgen stuff, I'm not exactly sure where it was, but it had a lot of seeds that could be used.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Biome

That may help decide what to change in the worldgen settings.

edit: this one may be better suited
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Advanced_world_generation
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 05:34:41 pm by XSI »
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:23 pm »

It's possible, but very difficult. Tropical in particular seems to be decided by the game rather than by worldgen parameters, and appears to require a large map (it occasionally shows up on medium maps, but only rarely).

Glaciers and Tundras are possible to do on smaller maps with playing with the worldgen params, but doing so on smaller maps often results in a map that is uninhabitable by most races.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2009, 08:39:08 am »

Yeah, it's actually a bug with the current version that has been corrected for the next major release.  It just wasn't respecting smaller maps for the tropical designation.  A lesser bug also made temperatures too temperate for another reason to do with the poles, but that can be fixed in the world gen params to some extent.  However, tropical areas aren't possible to attain as far as I know.  If you go for a tall yet narrow map, you might get somewhere.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

rhuntar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 08:45:24 am »

If you go for a tall yet narrow map, you might get somewhere.

I can verify this.  I've set a map to 33x256 and gotten tropical biomes.  You have to null out a few of the other world gen requirements too. (final number of BLANK squares...)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 01:53:18 pm »

Yeah, it's actually a bug with the current version that has been corrected for the next major release.  It just wasn't respecting smaller maps for the tropical designation.  A lesser bug also made temperatures too temperate for another reason to do with the poles, but that can be fixed in the world gen params to some extent.  However, tropical areas aren't possible to attain as far as I know.  If you go for a tall yet narrow map, you might get somewhere.

What about the bizarre temperatures found in tropical regions? Freezing tropical moist broadleaf forests are a little odd...
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2009, 01:09:19 am »

What about the bizarre temperatures found in tropical regions? Freezing tropical moist broadleaf forests are a little odd...

They make plenty of sense given some of the other stunts the game pulls.