Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What topic would you like us to cover during the discussion segment of the next Dwarf Fortress Talk?

Mega-Beasts
- 109 (24.4%)
Sieges
- 249 (55.8%)
Individual Combat
- 88 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 445

Voting closed: August 28, 2009, 07:18:15 pm

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Topic Vote and Teaser  (Read 37625 times)

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Topic Vote and Teaser
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 05:45:04 am »

One minor point - when you're starting to talk over the intro music/playing the outro music over the speech, you should probably fade it in and out a bit more. It seemed to come in a little bit abruptly, and kind of override what was being said.

Apart from that, fantastic. All pf these are giving some great insight into what is coming up in the next version, and the reasonings behind it.

Also - the bronze coloussus problem didn't really come as a shock - i mean how /do/ you kill a giant solid metal statue that can punch you in the face? I laughed out loud when toady suggested building a wall around it.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 12:13:20 pm »

It seemed to come in a little bit abruptly, and kind of override what was being said.

Toady one has canceled Release Podcast, Interrupted by Guitar Man.

I for one wouldn't mind nigh-invincible colossusi.  Megabeasts SHOULD be things that are obscenely difficult to face and can and do destroy entire forts on a regular basis, rather than the current

"Oh gee a dragon I guess I'll trap it and toss it into the arena with the rest of my collection"

EDIT: Why isn't there an "everything" button on the vote menu!? IT ALL SOUNDS SO WONDERFUL
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 02:12:29 pm »

It seemed to come in a little bit abruptly, and kind of override what was being said.

Toady one has canceled Release Podcast, Interrupted by Guitar Man.

Dang, you made me laugh out loud on my lunch at work!  I will work on future fades.  :)
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 02:17:49 pm »

Are the intro and outro music part of a larger piece?

Will said music make it into dwarf fortress?

According to the DF Talk page, it's by Ollieh, which means it's probably just for the podcast.

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 02:20:17 pm »

Are the intro and outro music part of a larger piece?

Will said music make it into dwarf fortress?

According to the DF Talk page, it's by Ollieh, which means it's probably just for the podcast.

To clearly answer your question, the music written by Ollieh is only for the podcast.  But he did an excellent job!
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Topace3k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 02:33:38 pm »

Thanks for the preview!  Surprising amount of info jammed in there.

Also, my question about animal healthcare got brought up, so I guess I'll think up some new questions involving sieges.

Hopefully Toady won't have to spoil too much of the underground stuff, I'm really looking forward to finding it myself.

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 07:14:27 pm »

Thanks for the previews.

Ohh I see.

Personally I am kinda interested in the Megabeast section and really can't wait for a second Megabeast week.

Though I wonder how interesting such a conversation can get. I mean there are so many unanswered questions about them as well.

Though being a discussion it may just boil down to where Toady gets his inspiration for many of the Megabeasts. Such as why he added the Bronze Collosus

Which isn't a bad thing. I loved when Toady explained his main inspiration for Goblins and posted a video too.
-To quote myself (that almost got into the Wiki): Babies are like Pokemon, you gotta Snatch them all

I don't mean to derail but I would love to see that video and explanation.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 07:27:54 pm »

I don't mean to derail but I would love to see that video and explanation.

I think this is what he was talking about: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=1709.msg24481#msg24481

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2009, 10:48:18 pm »

the bronze coloussus problem didn't really come as a shock - i mean how /do/ you kill a giant solid metal statue that can punch you in the face?

Siege Weapons?

Actually can a Siege weapon stop the "Solid Bronze Statue" Collosus or even injure one?

Also I always assumed the Bronze Collosus was hallow because yeah... An animate giant metal statue would be nearly unstoppable.

Also Toady, If you don't chose to go down the road of using Telos (Molten Blood) for the Bronze collosus can you make another megabeast with it? I personally Like the hallow statue Bronze collosus more then Telos

Wait is it Telos or Thanos? Curses

Because according to what I remember of Greek Mythology there are three giant metal statue creatures (One being a Boar)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:37:34 pm by Neonivek »

PencilinHand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2009, 11:54:13 pm »

I would think a variety of bronze colossi would be interesting.  Assuming it might be neat if in the raws there were several varieties of them, from hollow to molten bronze filled to noxious vapor filled to solid.  I would think the hollow one would be best in vanilla DF.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2009, 12:17:45 am »

Actually can a Siege weapon stop the "Solid Bronze Statue" Collosus or even injure one?

I imagine an adamantine-tipped ballista bolt could do some damage.

I would think a variety of bronze colossi would be interesting.  Assuming it might be neat if in the raws there were several varieties of them, from hollow to molten bronze filled to noxious vapor filled to solid.  I would think the hollow one would be best in vanilla DF.

I wonder if the molten core could function as a strength-linked tissue, so that if it leaks out, they remain alive but lose all their strength.  I don't know if it could be made to work that way though.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2009, 12:40:45 am »

Heh.

Basically if the Molten Core Collosus runs out of liquid bronze it becomes Hyper-Anemic huh?

On a side note (I am not SOO concerned about going off topic because this is a voting topic rather then discussion): Why do Ironmen and Golems often have a Toxin inside them? Is this based on real life Chemistry or some sort of myth?

I know some substances break down into toxic materials, but is Iron one of them?
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 03:04:54 am by Neonivek »

asper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2009, 03:20:48 am »

Great previews! I love the music, it adds atmosphere... The end of the first file is especially nice, the sounds of Toady playing with Scamps fading away, and the music... Nice!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2009, 05:35:11 am »

the bronze coloussus problem didn't really come as a shock - i mean how /do/ you kill a giant solid metal statue that can punch you in the face?

Siege Weapons?

Also I always assumed the Bronze Collosus was hallow because yeah... An animate giant metal statue would be nearly unstoppable.

Also Toady, If you don't chose to go down the road of using Telos (Molten Blood) for the Bronze collosus can you make another megabeast with it? I personally Like the hallow statue Bronze collosus more then Telos

Wait is it Telos or Thanos? Curses

Because according to what I remember of Greek Mythology there are three giant metal statue creatures (One being a Boar)

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2009, 09:15:33 am »

Haha, I love Scamps. Makes me want a cat, actually -- I hate most cats, but I had one a few years ago that was completely awesome. Not aloof at all, just very friendly (and she could walk upright on her hind legs which was kind of cool). I miss her.

Looking forward to the new podcast! Have fun with it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5