Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What topic would you like us to cover during the discussion segment of the next Dwarf Fortress Talk?

Mega-Beasts
- 109 (24.4%)
Sieges
- 249 (55.8%)
Individual Combat
- 88 (19.7%)

Total Members Voted: 445

Voting closed: August 28, 2009, 07:18:15 pm

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Topic Vote and Teaser  (Read 37506 times)

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Topic Vote and Teaser
« on: August 23, 2009, 07:18:15 pm »

Teaser for #2 (special silent appearance by Scamps), ~1.3MB

Post-Teaser Talk, ~5.3MB -- Rainseeker says:  "Bonus Extended Scamps Discussion - A continuation of our teaser conversation in which Tarn discusses more of Scamps, magma men's inability to melt brains, and bronze colossus' leperous limbs.  Warning, this is just a bonus, and as such ends rather abruptly." (transcript available)

Somewhere in there, you can hear Scamps's tummy being pounded.

We are going to try out a discussion segment on the next show and we've provided some options for you to vote on up in the poll.  I've set the poll to expire after 5 days so I have time to think about things a bit.  The selection won't always be so violent, but I've been doing violent programming lately, he he he.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:08:56 pm by Toady One »
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress Talk #2: Topic Vote and Teaser
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2009, 07:40:46 pm »

There isn't any sound, or there is something wrong on my comp. I have the sound up but I am not getting anything. Help?

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2009, 07:57:57 pm »

I just downloaded it from the site and it's working fine for me.  Are other mp3s playing there?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2009, 08:00:30 pm »

There isn't any sound, or there is something wrong on my comp. I have the sound up but I am not getting anything. Help?

I'm going to go with "something wrong on your comp" because they worked fine for me.  Try a youtube vid or something.

Lots of cool stuff just in that second teaser, especially the stuff about combat, with the bolts barely sticking in the bronze colossus (could those potentially poke out an eye at least?) and the wound trajectories.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2009, 08:04:58 pm »

They have [EXTRAVISION], so their eyes don't actually do anything, but you could disfigure them for the rest of their existence, since they don't heal.  A moral victory.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2009, 08:06:58 pm »

I clicked on BOTH links, and nothing on both of them.
Went to youtube, and its fine.
What do I do?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:10:10 pm »

Check your MP3 player's volume settings.  Try to play some other MP3s (yes that link is legal).  Try a different MP3 player.

They have [EXTRAVISION], so their eyes don't actually do anything, but you could disfigure them for the rest of their existence, since they don't heal.  A moral victory.

Oh THAT'S what that tag does.

I like the idea of ancient colossuses being covered in dents etc., like a tally of people's pathetic attempts to defeat the thing.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:17:45 pm by Footkerchief »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:10:47 pm »

You can try right clicking on the link and saving the file to your computer.  That should give you more options for playing it than just your browser plug-in, though I don't know enough about this sort of thing to be much more help.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:12:46 pm »

Its working. I'm good. Thanks everyone.

Edit:Spelling

Talos is the Colossus in Jason & the Argonauts, correct?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 08:24:48 pm by Org »

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 08:26:19 pm »

I like the idea of ancient colossuses being covered in dents etc., like a tally of people's pathetic attempts to defeat the thing.

I had four pages of individualized blood stains on my various colossus parts at the bottom of my inventory after the test.  I guess that should probably be contracted or something, eventually.  I wonder if little helper birds would evolve to clean the colossus over the ages.

edit:  Yeah, I'm pretty sure Talos is right.  He had a heel screw out cap thing, and I'm not sure what was inside him.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 08:35:05 pm »

Are the intro and outro music part of a larger piece?

Will said music make it into dwarf fortress?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:23:57 pm »

For anyone who hasn't seen Jason and the Argonauts (like me): the bronze colossus scene.  I think I'm going to go back and start from the beginning though, this looks pretty entertaining.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 10:15:17 pm »

Interesting.

Judging by what the vote is Everyone may have to suddenly scramble to the question section. (2 days to come up with questions HA!)

Unless the community questions still get asked anyway but it eventually shifts to Megabeasts halfway through for a Megabeast focus.

Actually reading it closer (I REALLY got to start reading things closer) I am just simply confused...

Can someone explain exactly what this is for?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:32:46 pm by Neonivek »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 10:37:38 pm »

Interesting.

Judging by what the vote is Everyone may have to suddenly scramble to the question section. (2 days to come up with questions HA!)

Unless the community questions still get asked anyway but it eventually shifts to Megabeasts halfway through for a Megabeast focus.

Actually reading it closer (I REALLY got to start reading things closer) I am just simply confused...

Can someone explain exactly what this is for?

I think it's like a general topic of discussion rather than a Q/A format (although that still only tends to be worthwhile insofar as it leads to discussion).

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2009, 10:47:18 pm »

Ohh I see.

Personally I am kinda interested in the Megabeast section and really can't wait for a second Megabeast week.

Though I wonder how interesting such a conversation can get. I mean there are so many unanswered questions about them as well.

Though being a discussion it may just boil down to where Toady gets his inspiration for many of the Megabeasts. Such as why he added the Bronze Collosus

Which isn't a bad thing. I loved when Toady explained his main inspiration for Goblins and posted a video too.
-To quote myself (that almost got into the Wiki): Babies are like Pokemon, you gotta Snatch them all
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 10:54:26 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5