Dwarf Fortress > DF Suggestions

Init File

(1/1)

Veroule:
It has always bothered me that this file is buried.  I always solved this by making a shortcut to the file directly in my DF folder.  I would like to see this moved up to a less buried position to reduce the steps needed to edit it.  Perhaps ./init from the dwarfort.exe location would be a proper folder.A similar issue is that I would like to see the save folder promoted out of data.  That is a seperate issue though.In recent version it is even more bothersome that the addition of new options forces me to actually go through the entire file and reset my preferences.  I was thinking that a better way to handle this is to have multiple files.  Where a user file overrides the default file.  The default file of init.txt is read first, then all other other .txt files in the init folder are read.  Any applicable init settings found in those files would override those that were already loaded from init.txt.  This would let me copy my preferences from one installation to the next simply by copying all other files in the folder.  New options would have the default value set in the init.txt that came with the installation, and when I feel like overriding them I can add them to one of my other init files.

Draco18s:
http://www.scootersoftware.com/windows-diff-utility.php It's free for 30 days.  Notably I've used up one day between two DF versions.I may pay for it myself, depends on if I can find one as good that's perfectly free.  Great little program.

Veroule:
I already have a diff-merge for doing it.  The point is I really shouldn't need one.  It is possible that Toady is already checking for multiple files in the init folder...actually it is probable.  I haven't tested yet to see if it is the case.No matter what I would like to have the directory structure changed so that user data is seperated from the game data.  Moving the save, movies, and init folders up to the df level covers most of the user data.  Moving the art folder from data to raw, finishes it.These changes make upgrading a matter of deleting the data branch and unzipping with overwrite.  Instead of unzip, then copy and edit all the stuff I have into the new.This could be further extended for modders by making a naming convention on the raws, such that item_food.txt is done, then item_food1.txt, item_food2.txt, etc.  Tags in the numbered files would override those in the default file, and the object file would be built as a total of those files.It is just one of those polish type things that makes it easier for users.  It also could eliminate the 5 to 10 bug reports that appear every version from someone leaving the object files around from a previous version.  Easy changes for Toady to make, that give a large benefit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version