Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked  (Read 25786 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked
« on: August 25, 2009, 12:07:18 am »

I figured, enough with the talk, let's get to work. We all wanted to see this thing in all it's glory, and we know one single being can't have that much of a fey mood on their own, so I invite just about any fey Dwarf to join in and help us render this impossibly beautiful artifact and relic of pure awesomeness.

Inspired by Toady One with his update tracker, I'll update each segment of Planepacked's progress in similar manner. And if necessary, even include a progress bar. Progress (Due to limited space for text/code) will be divided 70 lines into clusters of 10 items of detail-per cell, and in 100-200-100 items-per-post, dividing it into a triple-post that can be updated as one, and allow formatting of each within character limits per post.

This is a grand undertaking for all of us, and I do believe, what will come of this will be so awesome, even the almighty Armok will have to bow down to it's glory.

A simple ground-rule: We're only rendering the images/details as they are marked according to text. Artistic quality doesn't matter, only the final product does. We're only simplifying the final product by producing the puzzle pieces first, and then assembling it into the final image of beauty. I figure this is the most optimal way to accomplish this.

And remember, please post your progress and update accordingly.

As for gathering the images for composition, I think it's best to assemble all 10 images/details into a single picture document. That way, I can post the images next to the finished items, so that indexing it will be made easier.

Volunteering Rules:
If you're willing to volunteer, either make note of it in a post or PM me; tell me which cells you're willing to work on, and I'll update it accordingly. And assignment is on a "first come, first serve" basis. No reservations. I'll make note on the first page the status of "hiring" if I'm accepting PM's or not. To prevent me and the topic from getting spammed with requests if that's a risk.

Oh, an when PM'ing me, be sure to add [PLANEPACKED] as the title/subject header.

Well then, enough dilly-dallying; let's get to work!

This might come in handy.

Volunteering/"hiring"/Claiming request status:
Forum-based: OPEN
PM-based: OPEN

NOTE: Contact me or post before submitting anything relevant to this megaproject. It's hard enough trying to update the front pages alone.

Progress: 52 / 417 items completed, 29 / 417 in progress (Claimed), 0 / 417 Freed (Cancelled/Reclaimable), 336 /417 to be worked on
Completion contribution (per-item, for the curious): 0.2398%, 0.1199%, 0.0600%, 0%

Total Progress: 15.9472% Complete

Actual Progress (Progress bar style):
Simple (By cell):
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
X IIIIIII

Detailed (Individual items):
IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIII IIIIIII

Progress (By Cells):
Simple:
I
XXX
XX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
XXXXX XXXXX
X IIIIII

Detailed:
I
IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIII IIIIIIIIII
IIIIIIIIII IIIIII

Planepacked Graphical Translation Index: (Part/Line #), Volunteer Name Progress

Statue (1) Claimed by: Armok Assisted by: Community
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

(2-11) Completed by: Pie  Shared with: Taisuru (Line 3) (Temp. exception)
Spoiler: Images (click to show/hide)

(12-21) Claimed by: Pie

(22-31) Claimed by: Timst

(32-41) Completed by: Timst

(42-51) Claimed by: Akroma

(52-61) Claimed by: Jacked122

(62-71) Claimed by: Caz

(72-81) Claimed by: Mr_Ham97

(82-91)

(92-101)

(Continued on next post)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 03:55:22 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2009, 12:07:37 am »

(102-111)

(112-121)

(122-131)

(132-141)

(142-151)

(152-161)

(162-171)

(172-181)

(182-191)

(192-201)

(202-211)

(212-221)

(222-231)

(232-241)

(242-251)

(252-261)

(262-271)

(272-281)

(282-291)

(292-301)

(Continued on next post)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:08:53 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009, 12:07:54 am »

(302-311)

(312-321)

(322-331)

(332-341)

(342-351)

(352-361)

(362-371)

(372-381)

(382-391)

(392-401)

(402-411)

(412-417)
[END OF LIST]

Reminder: The deeper down the list, and the more the item has been repeated, the more detail that should be applied relevant towards it.
IE- Every Planepacked reference must be much more detailed than the last. Seeing as it's sort of a benchmark engraving of the progress of it's production.

This is to balance the workload for the seemingly easier ones, among the more difficult ones (IE- Statue itself, and the last cell that only contains 6 items are just as difficult as the rest of the cells).

(Painstakingly remastered)

EDIT: (long delay)
I figure, screw it; why not? Why don't we just summarize all Planepacked references as part of Cell 1, and call it from there? Most kudos given to whoever can fulfill that chunk of data right there. I'll do my part in trying to come up with a model that works as well. We'll vote on what represents Planepacked the best.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 01:15:50 am by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2009, 12:08:19 am »

List of victims volunteers (And lines they're working/worked on): (Last Update: 9-1-09)
Pie (2-11) (12-21)
Timst (22-31) (32-41)
Akroma (42-51)
Jacked122 (52-61)
Caz (62-71)
Mr_Ham97 (72-81)
Armok (1 mostly, with community assistance)

I figure I should also mark down who else is involved.

I'll add to this post if/when necessary. Comments and additions to this post are welcome.

Notes: (There may be some paraphrasing of prior quotes)
This might come in handy.
You have to consider, each marking was done over the course of a year. When working on art that takes eons to finish, and it has repetitive design, don't always expect each repeat to look exactly alike. Plus, limestone is a fickle material to work with when engraving. Let's not forget, some repeats are on different materials or are made of different materials, therefore, it won't always come out the same.
Material Reference Material
(Some info regarding Limestone) (Click Quote Title)
For each repeated image. Consider this: Progress meter.
Each repeat is further detailed in the order of just how much detail passed. I think that's a much better idea to apply.
For example, the first mention is almost bare; nearly hieroglyphic, the mid-level repeat is finer detailed, and the final mention/repeat is ridiculously detailed.
Look at it this way, the dwarf thinks "Wait... Aw crap, I got more ideas, and I already marked it in. Oh what the hell. Why not? I'll just leave it in there."
So basically, he thought he finished, got another idea, and continued anyway. Lather, rinse, repeat.
I suppose, just considering how much detail progressively gets included, the image of Planepacked gets larger per-iteration.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 04:01:43 pm by Itnetlolor »

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2009, 12:16:38 am »

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2009, 12:27:32 am »

i applaude the brave dwarfs who attempt this.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2009, 01:34:56 am »

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit
Somebody never saw Planepacked before eh? :D
For the heathens who haven't witnessed it's majesty, Planepacked was a rock statue artifact.
The builder gathered stone for over a year, and it seems to depict the entire history of that world.

It's probably a bug in the code, but needless to say, this is one of the most, if not the most impressive artifact ever constructed.

Now, how big (in pixels) should each image be, and what style?
I assume you want them in .gif's, with the background transparent?
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2009, 02:02:07 am »

Well, at this stage, let's worry about rendering the images first, and how each image is composed. We'll then worry about the further details. You know: size/format of images, refinement, whether it's embossed, etched, or gilded onto the statue, the level of detail applied (hieroglyphic or molded on), and how each image interacts with each other, or is isolated/bordered from one another... etc.

We'll discuss it as we work on it, obviously.

Depending on just how detailed the line is, will determine just how big the image will be per cell. We can always compose all the individual cells into a collective cell later. I can also do it myself, but I'm not the best at committing to a project for a lengthy amount of time. So updates in that regard may be intermittent.

It can be hand drawn or digitally painted.  Like I stated before, quality and size doesn't matter. These are just mere abstractions, and we'll worry about the greater details later on. What's being done for the time being is getting rid of all the text so that we can see what we're working with alot easier.

That's also why I've isolated the statue portion (aside it's massive details). Someone can come up with a plausible design that can fit all the data, but still be a thing of beauty. And we're not doing the Trajan's column cheat (making a decorated column with a statue atop it), unless it's necessary. Let's consider the Trajan method our last resort.

I'd like to know we at least put some effort into it before we quit, But I don't see that likely. This is gonna be fun.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:06:31 am by Itnetlolor »

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2009, 02:13:44 am »

i'll contribute as soon as i have made my 3d dwarf model. then all the travelling dwarves and the like will be easy-peasy...

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2009, 02:36:30 am »

Sweet. I'll be looking forward to it.

BTW, I'll make my selections maybe tomorrow afternoon if there are any free slots leftover. That way, everyone has a chance to choose whichever one they want (reminder, each cell is 10 lines worth, exceptions is the first, and the final set).

I should probably also add note that I'll let each stage of production have separate volunteers, unless stages are skipped (IE- already refined and/or planned), and you can continue as you see fit if continuing your selection(s).

You know, just in case some are good at translating from text to picture, but not good at rendering it to a refined image or better. Which, BTW, hieroglyphs are perfectly acceptable for the first stage, but keep them detailed enough to be able to be elaborated in the future. IE- photoshopped into a more interesting feature or something of the like.

BTW, I advise submissions are applied with the picture above the text translated, along with the line # translated, and keep it in spoilers to keep navigating the thread easier. I guess you can say for stage 1, we're calling this the "Indexing Stage". The next, "Refinement"; the third, "Detailing" (if necessary), then "Application", then "Finalizing". We could omit some stages if more production is done than expected.

See you tomorrow. And no flame wars on "Who's on First?", "What's on Second?", and "I Don't Know's" on Third. I'll just short-stop it and say that I don't give a damn.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2009, 03:12:42 am »

on a sidenote, if someone has an idea of what the form of the statue could be, i'd be willing to model it, though someone else has to unwrap, texturize and the like.
also i think this should be the first thing being finished, so we can see first results immediately on the statue itself, which will possibly turn out as a great motivation booster.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 09:13:54 am »

I think we should sort all the decoration images by their topic.
It would make the work easier as lots of them repeats several times.

Example groups:
1. "dwarves traveling / laboring relating to the foundation of X"
2. "X surrounded by dwarves relating to ascension of X to the leadership of Y"
3. "X and Y, X is doing A, Y is doing B" (for example dwarf killing goblin etc.)
4. Images of Planepacked itself.
5. Images of varius items, creatures, and abstract things (clouds, squares etc.)

« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 09:16:25 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2009, 09:19:07 am »

I knew it, this is for artists.

I swear, artistic people do sod all else, and when they do something it's magnificent because they've spent all their time doing it because (return to top).
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2009, 09:45:33 am »

how about something like a god with many hands, each one holding a scripture roll? though that might be the trajans column approach again...
another thought: do you guys remember (if you have read the Wheel Of Time, at least as partially as I did...) those guys with their color-changing cloaks? why not make it a dungeon master statue with a magic cloak (and socks&gauntlets of course) that reveals always new pictures the longer you look at it? it could be done. the static pictures will be swapped with differently timed .gif animations, so that one combination shows up after like, um, dunno. quite some time. but, some will say, how to make that show up on the internet with the near endless variotions of pictures? for that purpose, an executable .blend-file shall be made. blenders realtime rendering abilities are awesome, given a decent computer. hell, the pictures could even float down the cloak, + when rendered not-realtime it could be flowing in the wind (yes, i know it's made from limestone. would be cool any way, hu?). to post that thing on the forums, single sequences could be taken from that.
but i think that's a bit in the future right now, anyway we should discuss it, it might have impact on the pictures being made.
also i'd say we shouldn't group the images by themes. that would produce a lot of same-looking images (with same theme and same art-style because a lot of people would claim, say, 15 lines of travelling dwarves and then they might look all the same...) i like it the way it is right now.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2009, 10:19:46 am »

Actually all of the images were made by one dwarf so probably they are one style, and looking very similar. ;)

But I understand your point, the more awesomeness and less copy-pasta we put into it the better. ;)
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7