Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7

Author Topic: FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked  (Read 25778 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2009, 10:29:36 am »

It's probably a bug in the code, but needless to say, this is one of the most, if not the most impressive artifact ever constructed.

No, it was created through using Dwarf Companion.  As the dwarf was hauling a material, the requirements for the artifact were changed, thus queuing up another item.  The dwarf drops off the item he's carrying and checks his list:

was:
stone
wood
bone

just dropped off stone, checks list:

silk cloth
wood
bone

dwarf goes and gets silk.

Rinse and repeat.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2009, 10:34:49 am »

It's probably a bug in the code, but needless to say, this is one of the most, if not the most impressive artifact ever constructed.

No, it was created through using Dwarf Companion.  As the dwarf was hauling a material, the requirements for the artifact were changed, thus queuing up another item.
(...) 

No, it wasn't. I agree that you can use Dwarf Companion and the method you described to duplicate the effect. But the author said he wasn't doing any sort of such things.
It is just some rare bug or memory corruption, and someone was lucky enough to have Planepacked created in his fort.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 10:41:54 am by Rafal99 »
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2009, 10:43:55 am »

Thanks for accepting the method of sorting as it is. I really didn't feel like going through all those lines to filter out repeats, and then assign that into the mix as well.

By the way, you have to consider, each marking was done over the course of a year. When working on art that takes eons to finish, and it has repetitive design, don't always expect each repeat to look exactly alike. Plus, limestone is a fickle material to work with when engraving. Let's not forget, some repeats are on different materials or are made of different materials, therefore, it won't always come out the same.

But yeah, materials aside, sometimes a repeated design is slightly different from one another to make it separate from one another. Plus, seeing all different renderings by artist, we can always vote on which one is best if necessary, but I think the quilting method would apply well, and can show everyone's individual talents.

Considering this a community project, why not?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2009, 11:04:36 am »

Okay, looking up Limestone on Wiki, I have some notes here, so that we can properly render it.

Quote from: Wikipedia
Limestone is readily available and relatively easy to cut into blocks or more elaborate carving. It is also long-lasting and stands up well to exposure. However, it is a very heavy material, making it impractical for tall buildings, and relatively expensive as a building material.
Like I said, it's pretty fickle, you can't make a mistake on this, seeing as it's a bit more difficult to buff over any mistakes. Furthermore, considering it's weight, Planepacked cannot be too tall. And last, but not least, it's material value should be considered with the quality of engraving.

Limestone and marble are very reactive to acid solutions, making acid rain a significant problem. Many limestone statues and building surfaces have suffered severe damage due to acid rain. Acid-based cleaning chemicals can also etch limestone, which should only be cleaned with a neutral or mild alkaline-based cleaner.
Alcohol makes an excellent engraving tool due to it's acidic nature, as well as other natural materials (like strawberries, oranges and etc.). Meaning, it is indeed possible to make some ridiculously detailed engravings without needing a fine chisel; However, one has to be careful to clean up the mess, and keep the statue in an acid-free room. Basically, keep it cling-wrapped or covered like a collector's comic book or something.

Because of impurities, such as clay, sand, organic remains, iron oxide and other materials, many limestones exhibit different colors, especially on weathered surfaces. Limestone may be crystalline, clastic, granular, or massive, depending on the method of formation. Crystals of calcite, quartz, dolomite or barite may line small cavities in the rock. Folk and Dunham classifications are used to describe limestones more precisely.
For those rendering the final product, consider the texture of limestone when coloring/skinning the engravings and statue.

Reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limestone

EDIT:
According to a stone carving website I came across, it has made note that it doesn't polish well, but it is one of the best stones for showing details carved into it. Considering Plaepacked's value, it must've been epically engraved.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 11:13:06 am by Itnetlolor »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2009, 11:10:01 am »

I think what I love most is that like half of those images are just other pictures of Planepacked.

It would be trite not to depict each one in it's own unique way.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2009, 11:16:47 am »

I have an idea for each of those repeat Planepackeds.

Progress meter.

Each repeat is further detailed in the order of just how much detail passed. I think that's a much better idea to consider.

For example, the first mention is almost bare; nearly hieroglyphic, the mid-level repeat is finer detailed, and the final mention/repeat is ridiculously detailed.

Consider this, the dwarf thinks "Wait... Aw crap, I got more ideas, and I already marked it in. Oh what the hell. Why not? I'll just leave it in there."

So basically, he thought he finished, got another idea, and continued anyway. Lather, rinse, repeat. I recall times where I pretty much did the same thing on a few projects and such.

EDIT:
I suppose, just considering how much detail progressively gets included, the image of Planepacked gets larger per-iteration.

Oh, and BTW, if you're willing to volunteer, either make note of it in a post or PM me; tell me which cells you're willing to work on, and I'll update it accordingly. And assignment is on a "first come, first serve" basis. No reservations. I'll make note on the first page the status of "hiring" if I'm accepting PM's or not. To prevent me and the topic from getting spammed with requests if that's a risk.

Oh, an when PM'ing me, be sure to add [PLANEPACKED] as the title header.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 12:05:40 pm by Itnetlolor »

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2009, 12:29:15 pm »

Okay, while trying to look for a cell to work on, I noticed that some of them are really unbalanced. I thought there were less items to render than I thought, but some of the lines contain up to 3 different renderings at a time. Meaning, some will actually have 10 items to work with, and others up to 21 items to work with per cell.

Should I leave it as it is? Or should I further refine it and expand it to actual individual elements while retaining the 10 items-per-cell?

Caution, it can possibly go from 203 lines listed to as high as 250-300 total items listed.

Plus, it may take a bit to be sure each element is isolated, as well as expand each entry.

EDIT:
Come to think of it, it will reduce the chance of screwing it up. I'll take care of it later.

Elements isolated, now to go through the arduous process of dividing them and re-building the progress chart.

BTW, now it's ultra-refined and probably wiki-worthy, since it's entirely readable now.

Now that I have it all set, ever behold, for my fears have been confirmed, but to a more nightmarish degree, I was off by 100 at least.

Grand total of items on Planepacked is: >9000!!!!!
But seriously, it's actually more like:
417 total engravings/items

...yeah. We've lots of work ahead of us. :P

Albeit, most of them are repeats, even right next to each other on some; but still. Yikes.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 01:27:06 pm by Itnetlolor »

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2009, 01:44:43 pm »

This might come in handy.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2009, 01:47:26 pm »

Thanks. And BTW, the additional 1 in the 417 includes the actual statue itself.

Progress:
Re-listing and division is complete. Feel free to volunteer to do any of them. Remember, be sure to contact me by PM or post what you're volunteering to do so everyone will know what's left to work on. Contact info relevant to this is on front page.

Speaking of which, I'll keep the front page updated as often as possible.

The work load should now be plenty balanced.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2009, 02:26:43 pm by Itnetlolor »

Pie

• Bay Watcher
  • Winner of the "most disturbing avatar" award.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2009, 06:06:54 am »

Well I am assuming you are asking for 2 colour (black and white) line drawings to then be textured and applied etc. If so, I'll take 2-11. Do you mind if I use flash? Or would you prefer paint?

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2009, 07:08:06 am »

Just my 2 Dwarfbucks...

I always saw Planepacked as a Statue of a Globe of the worked with smaller Planepackeds dotted over its face, each with a number on its face instead of another smaller globe)

On that of the pedestal is that of a Plaque with a list of numbers going down and across its face, small Images or Script being that of the event that transpired in that area when the smaller globe dictates...

Like a Shopping Mall directory...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2009, 07:12:49 am »

Quote from: Itnetlolor
artistic quality doesn't matter

somewhere in the first posts... i think you don't need to stick to any specific program, i'll be working with 3D, but i need to get my 3D dwarf ready... i got only the head done, and that guy doesn't even have a beard! imagine! a dwarf without beard!
(plus it looks a bit... deformed... because i was working without reference image. *sigh*)
you may wanna have a look at it, so i can prove that i can make that statue:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
still needs a bit tweaking...

Pie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2009, 02:26:58 pm »

So is it gonna be a kinda giant statue of a dwarf, but the dwarf has tatoos (engravings) all over his body of all the stuff that has happened thus far? Also, I think your dwarf needs a somewhat wider face...

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2009, 02:34:41 pm »

yes, corrected that already, worked on it today (that's was i meant when i said "tweaking" ;) )

So is it gonna be a kinda giant statue of a dwarf, but the dwarf has tatoos (engravings) all over his body of all the stuff that has happened thus far?
not necessarily, i started working on that dwarf just before i read this thread for the first time. my reason for posting that image was that i want to make the statue itself (i think the OP meant 3D where it says "rendering"). the image is to prove my qualities as 3D-modeler  8)

Pie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2009, 04:28:43 pm »

Right, well I've been working on my rendering of 2-11, but I got stuck on one... what the hell is a grimeling? I was gonna depict it as a ball of sludge with eyes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7