Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Should C+ and L+ People Be Immune to Bias?  (Read 704 times)

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Should C+ and L+ People Be Immune to Bias?
« on: August 26, 2009, 11:57:06 am »

In game mechanics, most members of Congress are swayed into supporting political positions based on Popular Opinion Bias, while most members of the Supreme Court are swayed into supporting political positions based on Consitutional Bias. C+ and L+ people are immune to this sort of Bias however. A C+ person will always vote C+, while a L+ person will always vote L+.

...Which is rather strange when a Gay Marriage proposition gets 100% of the vote, only to get overturned by Congress by the C+ caucus vote. It's less disturbing when an L+ judge interpret the 2nd Amendment to state that it protects the rights of "militias" (i.e, the military) to own guns, because at least they are reading the Consitution. But if we introduce new amendments to the Consitution, then it becomes more strained to imagine C+ and L+ judges make strange interpretions of these amendments to back their ideology and defeat the entire purpose of the amendments in question.

So, should C+ and L+ people ignore the effects of Popular Opinion and Consituional Bias? Or should their immunity be stripped?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2009, 11:59:02 am by Servant Corps »
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Should C+ and L+ People Be Immune to Bias?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2009, 02:04:02 pm »

If a strongly-worded Constitutional Amendment were put into place that "locked" an issue, I think the Supreme Court wouldn't change that, even if the judges have a strong personal view on the matter. The new amendment would just be too firm and unambiguous. But aside from that, I like having the C+ and L+ people being "principled" stalwarts that must be removed from office to get them to stop advocating their opinions. It may not be truly realistic, but it gives a peace of mind when you put L+ people into office, and a tension when C+ come into power, knowing they'll never budge, no matter what.