Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Noise from workshops.  (Read 2576 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Noise from workshops.
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:39:00 am »

If this has been asked, a search for "noise" both here and on the dwarf wikipedia did not uncover an answer to my question!

Simply; how does the Z-Axis affect noise? I was considering having workshops above/under a dwarf's bedroom. Would the noise travel around the Z levels?

BahamutZERO

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Noise from workshops.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 12:49:00 am »

If it doesn't, it probably should :P

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 12:57:00 am »

I suppose I'll experiment then! They're already complaining about the noise, but I think it was mining; the workshops are at least three Z-levels away.

The mining, however, was one level below them; I'm making bedrooms under the barracks for some reason.

doc_wicket

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 09:31:00 am »

I asked this question in the "Dwarf Mode" forum and nobody knew, so I did some experimentation.  The rule for workshop noise in the z-axis is the same as for horizontal: within 4 levels, they'll be disturbed, 5 or more away and they're fine.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 10:09:00 am »

Yes noise does carry through the z-axis as per normal with each layer counting as a tile. Its ruined my fortress to some extent as my entire first level is workshops followed by a layer of bedrooms and offices over a layer of active mining shafts. I do not believe [however I could stand to be corrected] that mining creates noise. I'm sure however that noise carries through at least one z-axis.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2007, 12:05:00 pm »

In the previous version, mining created noise disturbance up to eight tiles out. I imagine it's probably still the same in this version.