Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What is it exactly?

A Statue, of course
A Column with an ornament atop it
Other (Post what you think)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [PLANEPACKED] The statue itself.  (Read 11656 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
[PLANEPACKED] The statue itself.
« on: August 27, 2009, 04:11:54 pm »

Seeing as nobody's taking slot 1 in the FORUM MEGAPROJECT: Rendering Planepacked. In attempt to get it rendered as soon as possible so that more claims can be made as well as more images, I've decided to make this a community effort.

How do you interpret Planepacked, the statue itself, sans images, to look like?

Submissions of images is recommended, as are the votes. If we can get an idea of how it looks, then everyone will have an easier time with the megaproject as a whole.

Like the images in the MP topic, follow the guidelines in there when submitting. But when you submit your interpretation of Planepacked, be sure to have portions colored in representing where engravings will be.

Alternatively, let's also have portions filled in regarding the materials as well. So, in a sense, we'll have a bump-map/alpha-channel. They're not too hard to make.

1- Make statue design
2- Trace outline
3- Color it in
  -B&W/Grayscale for the alpha channel (IE- Location of Engravings)
  -Color for the materials (Detail isn't necessary; we just need a general idea of where/what they are.)

Added note: You can even do a mixup of them both. Like a grayscale conversion of the color, and assign the shades of gray to that's engraving and what's bare.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [PLANEPACKED] The statue itself.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 04:22:38 pm »

Even if it's a statue, I imagine it as some large stone slab, depicting the entire history of the surrounding of the fortress. Some kind of mobile fresco.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2009, 04:25:47 pm »

I would imagine it looks like a dwarven Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.

That's gonna either be a big coat, or a giant dwarf. One way or another, it ought to look interesting.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2009, 04:28:39 pm »

Even if it's a statue, I imagine it as some large stone slab, depicting the entire history of the world. Some kind of mobile fresco.
Fixed,yes seriously.

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2009, 05:17:03 pm »

It's a series of thin stone slabs arranged haphazardly. Each of these is a plane, with which the statue is packed. Perhaps a couple mobius strips and the like thrown in for good measure.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2009, 05:49:18 pm »

I always assumed it was itself one of the depections on it (ex: dwarf standing on a table or something) covered with all the other images, or a massive monolith type thing.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2009, 10:24:33 pm »

I imagine it as a fractal with the general shape of a lightbulb.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 01:04:00 am »

I imagine it as a big runestone, depicting the events of the world with tiny images all across the entire surface.
I'm Scandinavian so that's just my cultural heritage poking at me :p

Just bigger, rounder, smoother, and with the history engraved à la the Bayeux tapet.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Lonewolf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Feral Observer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 02:19:00 am »

A massive statue of two dwarves supporting a large slab with the entire history of the world on it.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 02:24:35 am »

In my mind, all undescribed 'statue's are life-sized dwarves on pedestals.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Lordinquisitor

• Bay Watcher
  • Innocence proves nothing.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 04:21:07 am »

I think it`s an big globe-  With all the events written at the right point.

SanDiego

• Bay Watcher
  • I SEE IN YOUR SOUL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 04:25:57 am »

I Imagine it as  giant multi dimensional stone fractal, where actual angravings of itself spurt more statues. Alas, I'm a shitty at drawing stuff, so only verbal description.
Welcome to Murdermachines. Try the gecko sauce; it's delectable and delightful, a wonderful blend of savory and spicy that makes any dish delicious without being too overwhelming.

(Warning: Do not ask about the manufacturing process for gecko sauce)
(Warning: Gecko sauce may cause acute respiratory failure on contact)

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2009, 05:06:24 am »

I like lonewolves idea about two dwarves supporting a huge rock atlas style
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2009, 06:28:18 am »

I say its an abstract statue, nothing detailed as we do not yet have any detailed information on what statues actually are showing.

Make it a roughly detailed huge slab, and focus on the details :P
It can be as big as a titan or dragon, but try not to be ridiculous by making it wagon-sized.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2009, 10:48:30 am »

You know what? An Atlas-like tablet holder sounds good.

My touches to that could be three or four dwarves holding a tall column with the engravings on it. With equal sides of course. That should reduce the size plenty, and allow multiple dimensions of the sculpture. Plus, we can mount something atop it anyway.

This way, everyone wins.

Idea of form:

o  (*)  o
  -===T===-
-=| | W | |=-
  o  /=\  o
    /_X_\
    |===|
]  _| P |_  [
o=|_|   |_|=o
]   | P |   [
 _O_|===|_O_
  |_ \#/ _|
 _| |_ _| |_

Of course, this is looking at it with 2 dwarves holding it up. There are actually 4 of them holding this thing 4-sided.

The PP is where all the engravings go, 4-sides; the ornament atop is all the other materials and such, as well as spikes and additions. The ornament is 4-sided as well, this is just a side view. The dwarves are holding it up like a Holy Ark.

MODIFICATION:
The PP are on the outer slabs with the engravings. The core is a sturdy structure that holds it all up, engraved on it as well if possible. The ornament atop has bearings that hang off of it, rings and spikes are decorated all over it.

Now then, if someone can render this into a more concise picture; be my guest. But I figure this ought to be a suitable template for the engravings.

Remember, when drawing the engravings of this, the earlier ones don't carry as much detail as the later ones. Some reading may be required to know just how much of the statue is engraved.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 11:15:09 am by Itnetlolor »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5