Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Has seen death recently?  (Read 2113 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Has seen death recently?
« on: August 28, 2009, 05:48:25 pm »

So I had a question about unhappy thoughts related to military service and killing. In a previous failed fort, when I drafted my farmer to kill a kobold thief he became unhappy after strangling the little vermin. I checked his thoughts record and it said "Has seen death recently" or something to that effect.

Fast forward to now. I'm using the orc mod, so I had all 7 dwarves mine for a season (which also put me well into the development of my new fortress, I have three floors and an entry chamber dug out). My carpenter/mason, who I had just taken off mining to help empty my crafts workshop and make some barrels and bins, stumbles on a kobold thief while getting a drink. I draft him, he beats the little turd to a pulp, and wanders off happy as a clam with the only thought related to the event being "complained about the draft recently".

Is it a personality trait that makes some dwarves feel guilt after killing and others not? I'm a little confused, since I thought the "has seen death" unhappy thought came from seeing another dwarf die, yet in my previous fort none of my dwarves had died.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
Re: Has seen death recently?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:49:57 pm »

I think that thought(Has seen death) can only be thought by a clivilan.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 05:51:49 pm »

I draft him, he beats the little turd to a pulp, and wanders off happy as a clam

That made me laugh. :D

Anyway, maybe it is tied to personality, but I've never monitored it. It would be interesting if you could find that out.

EDIT: Gah, I can't remove that quote tag.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:54:41 pm by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 10:50:31 am »

The "has witnessed death recently" also relates to seeing animals slaughtered, I believe... by which I mean some hairy dwarf grabbing an adorable kitten by the neck, hauling the blinking ? to the death-house, and hacking it into kitten-steaks.

Some dwarves have an issue with this, apparently. Strange I know.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:36:53 am »

Those are the same dwarves that want carp renamed "sea-kittens", I believe. ;D
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 06:52:05 pm »

Really wouldn't help in DF, kittens are one of the 4 major food groups in DF (Plump Helmets, booze, more booze, and kitten biscuits)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Dwarf fort 27

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobles........those basterds
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:35 am »

Really wouldn't help in DF, kittens are one of the 4 major food groups in DF (Plump Helmets, booze, more booze, and kitten biscuits goblins,elves )
"Dwarf Fortress" ... "Like chess, only with short people that can catch on fire like rags soaked in tar, and lots of booze." ... "Like chess." 

- dwarf fortress wiki

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 02:45:52 pm »

Really wouldn't help in DF, kittens are one of the 4 major food groups in DF (Plump Helmets, booze, more booze, and kitten biscuits goblins,elves )

Dwarves aren't elves, so dwarves don't eat goblins and elves.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 07:16:54 pm »

Sigh, another elf sympathizer. Dwarves do NOT eat humanoid kills, only beasts, and only once they've been properly butchered (though cooking is a personal matter)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2009, 06:30:18 am »

mmmm, unicorn meat roast = yummy.

i've never seen a dwarf upset by seeing animals slaughter at the butcher's shop...anyone else beyond Hamster Ham has? (alliterative joy)

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

Hamster Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 08:41:09 am »

It's something I remember from the 2D version, though of course now I can't find any references to it in the wiki or forum. Maybe I imagined it.
So there's that, as well. It looks like the only chronic problems that water can't cure are nausea and cave spider bites.
Which, coincidentally enough, can be cured by magma.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 10:06:06 am »

I keep my butchers shop right out in the open. It's almost the first thing all immigrants see and everybody goes past it pretty much every day, I've never had an unhappy thought from it yet.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Arrkhal

• Bay Watcher
  • Who modded in these flying killer attack babies???
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 04:17:47 pm »

Might be a personality trait, as suspected.  I don't think I've ever seen "has seen death" plus "has taken joy in the slaughter" on the same dwarf.

One time, I had an absolutely brutal noble tantrum chain.  The countess consort beat his wife to death over the course of a week.  All the witnesses (including their infant daughter) got "has seen death" (even the Hammerer, though he didn't have any "likes killing" personality traits) while the consort got "accidentally killed someone in a fit of rage" and "has taken joy in the slaughter."  Sick.  But yeah, I don't remember the consort having a "has seen death" thought.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 04:21:56 pm by Arrkhal »
In development: Arrkhal's Material and Weapon balance
Please test and let me know what still needs fixing.  And get these freakin' babies offa me!