Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [Community game idea] Fortresses of Brilliant Automatization  (Read 1440 times)

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile

While was playing Paddlemirrors turn, got an idea of automated fortress contest.
Players build their fortresses for several in-game years, post their saves, and then someone takes them and leave them running on their own.
The winner is whose fotress survives the longest (or, alternatively, falls the most epic).

There could be different leagues, with various settling period, embark requirements, handicaps, and so on.

What do you think? Please post your suggestions to rules and other stuff.
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
Re: [Community game idea] Fortresses of Brilliant Automatization
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2013, 07:47:26 am »

Fully expecting someone to rig up a logic circuit that will release the clowns after a few years' time.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 07:55:56 am »

... efficiently dropping the fortress out ouf the race.

And there's always can be a vampire-in-the-box - they are susceptible to insanity or to violent ghosts only.

But I'd like to watch a doom device working.
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Dwarvinator

• Bay Watcher
  • ...grumbles only mildly at inclement weather...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 12:41:26 pm »

...and then someone takes them and leave them running on their own....
I've tried self-running forts, and I think there might need to be a small interaction by the Overseer - burials.
Even with, say, a Magma Auto-cremation Chamber powered by a Human Chased by a Minotaur Delay Mechanism TM, memorial slabs will still need to be inscribed to avoid a premature tantrum spiral.
I reckon if enough mining was designated before handover, producing the raw materials to supply the industries which keep dorfs occupied...
The only thing that worries me is the Long Patrol Duty deal. Unless a fort was entirely protected by traps, I think that could be a disruptive factor.

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 01:29:43 pm »

... or you can just set a HUGE tomb with hundreds coffins installed and ready to take any unlucky dwarf.

Ghosts can easily turn your fortress into chaos, no matter how good your schedules are.

Long patrol duty could be fixed with military schedules, I think. Still, a lot things to care about...