Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: TOME (Troubles of Middle Earth)  (Read 7261 times)

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TOME (Troubles of Middle Earth)
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2009, 06:15:41 pm »

I didn't know or forgot you posted here, Lord Bucket. DBT and Bubblegum Crisis gave me hours of good times. Even with the engine updates breaking things, DBT was amazing. So much to see.

Bubblegum Crisis must have taken ages. You had some insane things going on in there, things I didn't think were possible with the engine.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2009, 07:07:46 pm »

Y'know Bucket, DBT was a good enough mod that I could see it becoming a Roguelike all its own. There's really no reason it has to remain tied to the T-Engine, other than that it would be a pain in the arse to recode the thing from scratch, assuming you found a different engine you liked.

Ah well. I can dream anyway.

Still, it's a terrible shame that TOME dev has died. The games are still playable though.

As for Zombie Horror, I just redownloaded it today (Somehow removed itself from my computer? No idea.) and I discovered that not only do I still have no clue what the hell I'm doing, but I'm not getting any better either.  ;D Ah well. Practice, practice, practice...

Never really tried Bubblegum Crisis, may have to grab that today too. I got sometime to kill at my second job tonight, anyway.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 03:48:16 am »

Keiseth:
I didn't know or forgot you posted here, Lord Bucket.

Yep. I've been playing Dwarf Fortress off and on since 2D. :)

Keiseth:
Bubblegum Crisis must have taken ages. You had some insane things going on in there, things I didn't think were possible with the engine.

Creating the 3D map took forever, but most of the rest actually wasn't that bad. I started on BGC after the engine had already started its descent into hell, so I knew I couldn't count on any engine subsystems to stay working with each new alpha, so I designed as much as possible to not depend on the engine. T-engine was a great idea, but at its core it still has a lot of vanilla angband code. Maybe even some stuff dating back to Moria. So everything I possibly could I built from scratch. T3 was really good about allowing external code step in to take over engine functions. Building your own code is sometimes faster and easier than trying to learn how to use somebody else's.

rickvoid:
DBT was a good enough mod that I could
see it becoming a Roguelike all its own.

I'd love it if there were enough interest to justify it, but I was never really sure how many people were playing. At peak I had about hald a dozen people posting regularly on the DBT wiki page, and another couple exchanging emails with me, but that was it. The ToME modules page claims it had 3200+ downloads over the lifetime of the module, but there were about 20 releases over the first two years. A lot of those downloads are probably the same people updating with each new release.

As for Zombie Horror, I just redownloaded it today (Somehow removed itself from my computer? No idea.) and I discovered that not only do I still have no clue what the hell I'm doing, but I'm not getting any better either.

Zombie Horror was released for T3 alpha17, and the current alpha is alpha19. You might need to run alpha17 to get it to work. I haven't tested it with the more current alphas.

You must play with sound.

If you want an easy start, head to the mall and buy a flashlight as soon as you start. It will make things much easier until you find other ways to get light.

Never really tried Bubblegum Crisis, may have to grab that today too.

Of all my modules, Bubblegum Crisis is the one I'm most sad to see halted. Pretty steep learning curve, but you play Dwarf Fortress, so I'm sure that won't stop you. :P But sadly, as neat as it is, it's really little more than a showcase for ideas at this point. Once you figure out how to use cellphones, make purchase orders and design a hardsuit, there's really only about an half an hour worth of exploration and random missions to do. Still though, like I mentioned above, of all modules it's the least attached to the engine, so it would be the easiest to resume work on if there were interest. But last I checked the ToME player poll, there were only 53 people even playing at all anymore.

Honestly, I was pretty surprised to see people here on the forums who had even heard of any of my T3 modules.

Iniqui

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2009, 07:40:06 pm »

I don't know how I missed this one for so long.  I like playing this the same way my wife likes playing bejeweled type games.

The posting activity on this game seems to have waned since 2004-2006.  Is release 3 really still being worked on?
Pages: 1 [2]