Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: TACOPS 4  (Read 3758 times)

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TACOPS 4
« on: August 28, 2009, 07:54:30 pm »

Oldie but goldie.

http://www.battlefront.com/products/tacops4/tacops4.html

Any game which comes with US Army manuals as play aids has my vote.
Also a feature i love, is how you can use any map/picture as the map and add the terrain settings over the top of it, i just finished making one of my home town and surrounding area.

One downfall, ai doesnt work on custom games/scenarios, probably as the game is designed for multi.

Anyone else play this game? if so how do you rate it?

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: TACOPS 4
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:16:33 pm »

Hmm, looks interesting. I may have to try the demo.

Speaking of oldies with military manuals, I had a copy of A-10, and about 90% of the manual is excerpts from tech manuals, interviews with pilots, and history of the aircraft. Nothing like building a gun, and then going, Whelp, we've got the biggest gatling ever. Now we need to make it fly.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

rickvoid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 05:08:08 pm »

Speaking of oldies with military manuals, I had a copy of A-10, and about 90% of the manual is excerpts from tech manuals, interviews with pilots, and history of the aircraft. Nothing like building a gun, and then going, Whelp, we've got the biggest gatling ever. Now we need to make it fly.

A-10 Tank-Killer was a kick-ass game. Wish I knew what happened to my copy.  ;D

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 07:11:38 pm »

Lol, that gun was so big, if the pilot fired it for too long, the kick would stall the plane out. ;)
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Darkone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 08:11:18 pm »

Lol, that gun was so big, if the pilot fired it for too long, the kick would stall the plane out. ;)
No.

On a side note, lastr game I played in the SWAT series taught you how to zero a sniper rifle  :-X
"LOL, those nub FBI, they thought you were sharing software so they kicked down your door, only to find you recently wiped your entire hard drive, how wacky! Case dismissed."
[11:58] <Jay16> I couldn't begin proper last time I tried this because I embarked next to a hydra.

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 07:16:08 pm »

Ive made a simple scenario very roughly based on 'Behind enemy lines', one person could play the OPFOR (bosnian serbs?) another, 2 downed pilots.

They must escape and evade for 1 hour before extraction team arrives (british soldiers) and survive to an edge of the map.

The map would be subject to any changes warrented - for example, if you kill a rebel soldier or two you may adopt their weapon (unwise option however as pilots have only pistols).

The evac team will be played by another player, and will not know the location of the pilots, the pilots must at this point use a smoke grenade to show the team their position, at which point the OPFOR will probably become aware of the pilots location.

This is a very hard mission, the pilots have mere pistols and the OPFOR have armed militias and some heavier equipment, however, there will be a battle to fight for the OPFOR as the opposition (Bosnian army??) will be launching an attack in response to ethnic cleansing of the militias. This will be the only advantage the pilots have.

Rules:

The game will be played via forum and personal messages, i will send a map of each players situaton with any notes on the previous 5-10 minutes (depending on need for player input).

Players will give orders such as; search grid area XX with all infantry at grid XX, open fire on all enemies

The pilots are to be shot on sight due to uncovering the militias genocide, which the west is unaware of.

Players needed would be:

Pilots
Evac team (at turn start+1 hour)
OPFOR (bosnian serbs)
Possible Bosnian army units attacking OPFOR (otherwise controlled by me)

This is a picture of the map:

http://i28.tinypic.com/2ltnjtu.jpg

Any takers?

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 07:29:15 pm »

Militias will shoot pilots, evac and bosnian army
pilots will shoot militias
bosnian army will shoot militias and evac but not pilots
evac will return fire

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 11:23:40 pm »

I wonder if there's a Warhammer 40k mod for it.
!!&!!