Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 83311 times)

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #60 on: October 20, 2009, 04:27:11 pm »

Ooh.  I hadn't played since shortly after buying it (got busy with other stuff!), but I'm doing to dive back in once my real computer's up and running.

A lot has changed!  You might want a refresher on the economy in particular, since it is more streamlined now, but a bit different from what you might remember.

How does difficulty generally work in multiplayer games?  IE if I consider an ideal challenge to be one 5-difficulty enemy, would two players like me say the same thing about two 5-difficulty enemies?

No matter how many players you have, you always face off against two AIs.  The AIs control all the territory that you don't, so adding more AI's wouldn't work the same way as you might think in other RTS titles -- apples and oranges.  For multiplayer, the strength of those two AIs are scaled up as appropriate, so if you and your teammate are both good against AI 5s, then keep playing on AI 5s when you play together -- if you bump it up even to 6 you'll be in for a rougher ride!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 20, 2009, 04:31:18 pm »

Ah, my memory on the AI players was faulty.  And that's very good to know about what player count does.  Thanks!
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 20, 2009, 04:38:34 pm »

No problem!

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #63 on: October 20, 2009, 05:15:05 pm »

Anyone on here fancy a multiplayer game sometime?

I might this weekend. Hit me up on Steam (Volatar) or XFire (exodous2) or Skype (Volatar) If your interested.
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 20, 2009, 06:33:58 pm »

x4000, I have to say its amazing to see how fast you reply to topics that arent on your forum. ;)

And yes, I already updated through the auto updater. Now you said that 1.301 was free, is 2.0 not?
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #65 on: October 20, 2009, 06:57:51 pm »

x4000, I have to say its amazing to see how fast you reply to topics that arent on your forum. ;)
I actutally mentioned on his forum that I resurrected this thread.  ;)
And yes, I already updated through the auto updater. Now you said that 1.301 was free, is 2.0 not?

2.0 is 100% free.

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 20, 2009, 07:14:40 pm »

I actutally mentioned on his forum that I resurrected this thread.  ;)

But I also keep subscribed to threads I've participated in all over, when that option exists (such as here). :)

2.0 is 100% free.

To clarify, just in case someone misunderstands:  free for existing customers.  Whatever version of the game you've bought, you get the upgrades at no charge -- the expansions, which are going to be separate products like with any other expansion, are the only things that are for pay for anyone who already bought the base game.

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 20, 2009, 09:33:02 pm »

Thats good. I had bought this game ages ago. ;) Just that comment about the (free) 1.301 upgrade is just what confused me for a moment there. ;D
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 20, 2009, 09:34:05 pm »

I gotcha, no worries. :D

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: October 21, 2009, 12:45:28 am »

Oh man, reading through the patch notes I am very impressed.  I haven't played since 1.004...and I'm also happy to see constant performance improvements going in!

EDIT:  Even though the title screen says it's 1.004, it defaults to wanting to install 0.937 first...  But even when I checked everything I thought I could possibly need--0.937, 0.940, 1.000 first, 1.005, 1.301...every one of them threw a "wrong version" error, none of them succeeded.  I'll probably have to reinstall from scratch.

...I'll leave it be for now, just in case it warrants further investigation, but I'm guessing the answer is "just reinstall".
« Last Edit: October 21, 2009, 12:51:52 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: October 21, 2009, 01:03:39 am »

Oh man, reading through the patch notes I am very impressed.  I haven't played since 1.004...and I'm also happy to see constant performance improvements going in!

It's been since 1.004!?  Holy cow, that's positively ancient. Anything before 1.013 is practically medieval. :)  If you want to see a full representation of just how much has changed, check this out:  AI War 2.0 vs. 1.0, A Retrospective

EDIT:  Even though the title screen says it's 1.004, it defaults to wanting to install 0.937 first...  But even when I checked everything I thought I could possibly need--0.937, 0.940, 1.000 first, 1.005, 1.301...every one of them threw a "wrong version" error, none of them succeeded.  I'll probably have to reinstall from scratch.

...I'll leave it be for now, just in case it warrants further investigation, but I'm guessing the answer is "just reinstall".

That's a known issue with the very old versions of the game. The problem is actually with Windows Installer, and how it relates to MSI patches (MSP files).  Basically, the Windows Installer version that you have is good enough to install the game, but fails on patching (hooray Microsoft).  Later versions of the game install the needed Windows Installer version as a prerequisite.  Future versions of the game are going to use a custom patching tool that I'm planning to create, that will bypass the brittleness of the terrible MSP patching system.

As you say, a reinstall of the latest copy of the game, after you uninstall this one, is probably the best course.  It should keep your savegames and your settings.dat file intact, but you can back them up if you want to be on the safe side.  Again, this is Microsoft at work with their MSI system, which is not known for being the most perfectly reliable piece of software in the world.

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2009, 04:52:44 am »

AI War 2.0 is now officially out everywhere and on Steam too now  8)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2009, 09:45:12 pm »

I saw it on steam, $15 too so I'm picking it up.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 23, 2009, 11:48:36 am »

Maybe we could set up a 8 player game sometime...

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 23, 2009, 11:56:49 am »

I'd love to try this game, but launching the demo from Steam yields the message
"This game must be launched from Steam! IsSubscribedApp failed.

Also, Steam thought I got the game running and refused to shut down properly.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 47