Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 83377 times)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #645 on: November 18, 2015, 09:43:45 pm »

Arcen's forums have been fairly lively recently discussing the idea of a "revamp" of AI War that would be more mod-friendly.  I haven't the time to play most games lately (much less AI War) but it remains one of my favorites.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #646 on: November 18, 2015, 10:17:26 pm »

A hypothetical and very interesting sounding remaster (essentially making it run better, with mod support as a bonus), but yeah. I'd say I was up for it if I wasn't busy trying to study for a thing, werty.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 19, 2015, 12:15:12 am »

I got my ass kicked playing the demo :(
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #648 on: November 19, 2015, 12:34:58 am »

truly a great game. I dont think I am going to reinstall it right now though.

But yeah, really really great game.
I got nothing

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 19, 2015, 09:02:13 am »

I got my ass kicked playing the demo :(

Sounds about right :D
What difficulty were you playing on?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: March 17, 2016, 05:02:24 pm »

I hear Necroposts arent a bad thing here so yeah.
I really like this game and would like to see who else plays it.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: March 17, 2016, 10:28:30 pm »

Not in a while, takes too much of my time.  Got other things going on that are a bit more important than a 10 hour strategy game.

But I do enjoy it!

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #652 on: March 20, 2016, 03:11:43 am »

One of these days, 'll come around and actually learn how to play this game. Or rather, re-learn, as I actually did a tutorial and played it for another hour of so after that, years ago. One of these days.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: March 20, 2016, 12:01:04 pm »

It's hard for everyone to be interested in the same thing at the same time on Other Games it seems. I don't know about you people, but I typically stick with one or two games for a couple days/weeks, then move on or cycle out to another game for a while. Sometimes the mood will strike and I'll come back to the first game for a while. I suspect some of you guys are the same, and it's hard to get all of our interests to coincide at the same time. For a couple days we had a Guns of Icarus group, for example, but people lost interest or moved on relatively quickly, which made the rest lose interest as well.

For a game that takes as long as AI War to play it's much less enticing than the ones you can just pick up and play for a while and have a satisfying conclusion of sorts. I can imagine how hard it would be to keep people interested in something like this. Perhaps if it was a weekly thing similar to D&D where you get on and play at a designated time every Sunday/whenever instead of trying to marathon it every day.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: March 20, 2016, 12:41:29 pm »

There were AI War games running pretty regular for... a while. Few months? Something like that. I stopped showing up once the latest DLC popped up, heh. One of these days I'll get around to getting it and kicking around for a few more games, but that could be a while.

For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure it'd be fairly easy to get a scratch game running if someone's got a decent enough connection/etc. to host it and gives people a bit (day or two) of forewarning the game's coming up. S'a fair few (at least one or two dozen, going by my steam friend's list, ha) folks running around OG that have the game and wouldn't mind sinking a few hours into it if the opportunity's available.

Though yeah, I tend to cycle a bit, as well. Usually not so much between 1-2 as 3-5, though, occasionally more depending on game size/time investment/etc.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #655 on: March 20, 2016, 12:52:23 pm »

OTTD is probably one of the better example of not everyone is interested all the time. Every so often someone makes a new ottd thread (except last time, where they bumped the previous thread), and it lasts for a fair few days and then vanishes back into the depths of OG/PWYB.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: March 20, 2016, 02:09:51 pm »

I'd be happy to join in a game, although I'm not particularly good (see: rubbish). One of the problems is the time investment and the time zones though, I don't really play any long term strat. games online just because someone always has to jump off mid way through or it's awkward to set up good gaming times to keep it regular.

If there are any UK/EU players then I'd be interested in sorting something though!
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: August 28, 2016, 05:31:34 pm »

Avast, ye old thread! Theres news.
It comes from this post, but most of it isn't AI War related, just raptor-related. So if you don't want to read through it heres the important section.

Quote from: Chris, Lead Arcen Dev
What Next, Then?

One of my core conclusions from this, despite how much I have tried to defy this my entire career as a game developer, is that folks pretty much just want strategy games from me/us.  This is not all I want to do!  I want to make games where you shoot things, and games where you're a raptor, and all sorts of other things!  I have varied interests and tastes, and I don't want to do one thing for the rest of my life.

That said, given the choice between leaving the industry and making strategy games, the choice there is freaking obvious.  I absolutely love making games, despite the many negative sides to it.  So that's what we'll do: we'll make you another strategy game.

Specifically, we'll go back to the game that is still our top seller, AI War: Fleet Command, and we're going to do a proper updated sequel.  But at this point I can't afford to do half a year or a year of development "on spec" to then find out if you're interested or not.  So we'll likely run a Kickstarter for this, as much as I've avoided Kickstarters and never wanted to do one.  And if that doesn't work out in a way that feels financially safe, then there are some other options on the table, too.

At any rate, people have been clamoring for this for years: an AI War sequel with a better UI, better performance, better networking, better graphics, moddability, and so on.  We're now in a position where we know how to do all those things, and goodness knows we know how to make AI War better than we know how to make anything else under the sun.  That's our freaking bread and butter right there.

I suppose there will be some people who are thinking "yay, end of the stupid raptor game, and we get the AI War sequel that has been quietly talked about for a year or so now!"  And if that's how you feel, fine.  But you were going to get that anyway, and I just wish that I also got to make this raptor game to go along with it.

Theres some context to the quietly talked about part here if you're interested.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #658 on: August 28, 2016, 05:53:36 pm »

Hey, better performance in something still playing like AI War. Everything else aside, I can get behind that like a steam powered sodomy train.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: August 29, 2016, 11:04:28 am »

I'll take this moment to highlight Arcen's donate button.  They're really hurting at the moment, with Release Raptor doing so poorly that Chris is issuing refunds to all purchasers.  If you bought it and were quite happy to spend the cash, hit that button up for $5 (or more!).

I doubt we'll see an AI War 2 if Chris has to find other employment.
Pages: 1 ... 42 43 [44] 45 46 47