Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 83284 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #660 on: August 29, 2016, 11:15:08 am »

I have never heard of Release Raptor. I didn't even know Arcen was still making stuff.

Although looking at it now... uh... it doesn't look like something I'd have given a second glance. No offense. Quite a departure from AI war.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: August 29, 2016, 11:18:06 am »

Its a neat idea...but not one people are interested in.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: August 29, 2016, 02:21:28 pm »

I kinda only have limited sympathy in this case. It's an extremely...niche product and one that they were probably hoping would be a sort of goat simulator type runaway success whereby the novelty factor grabs people. That's fine, but I can't really feel sorry for them as it's sort of the nature of taking wild stabs in the dark. This especially had nothing really going for it other than a slightly quirky premise.

It's my general issue with Arcen games - they seem to have some good ideas, and then some really strange ones, and sort of mash them together without thinking it all through. I'm all for game devs taking risks and pushing the boundaries, but it just feels like he pulls out an idea and believes that it'll gain a lot of traction based on it being a strange premise alone.

I really love AI war, and I really wish they'd just sit down and make a sort of 'serious' game, rather than just having a stab at weird ideas. Regardless, I feel that he conducted himself admirably by giving a refund to everyone and giving a very clear explanation.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #663 on: August 29, 2016, 02:25:03 pm »

I do enjoy AI War. At least I did when I played it. I never really got into the expansions. That said, I'm certainly not going to just donate money to them. I donate to Toady because he has a game in development which I enjoy and which I think has amazing potential.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: August 29, 2016, 06:00:18 pm »

I kinda only have limited sympathy in this case. It's an extremely...niche product and one that they were probably hoping would be a sort of goat simulator type runaway success whereby the novelty factor grabs people. That's fine, but I can't really feel sorry for them as it's sort of the nature of taking wild stabs in the dark. This especially had nothing really going for it other than a slightly quirky premise.

It's not really Goat Simulator, though.  It's really not.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: August 30, 2016, 04:00:02 pm »

It's not really Goat Simulator, though.  It's really not.

I wasn't saying it was trying to be Goat Simulator two, just that it hoped for a runaway success based on a very niche/novel premise. It's not like there was going to be a big plot or anything, you're just a raptor that smashes stuff.

I didn't actually read the page before, where Aklyon posted about them going back to AI War 2. I'm so happy they are, although his 'I can't believe one of our games was successful and people want more of it! How dare they!' speech is a bit off putting. Chris, I know you wanted to make a raptor game - build it in your own time if you care so much, otherwise you've gotta give people what they're willing to buy. I'd people to pay me to spend all my time making a giant statue of myself out of cheese, sadly, not all dreams are possible.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: August 30, 2016, 11:00:20 pm »

I wasn't saying it was trying to be Goat Simulator two, just that it hoped for a runaway success based on a very niche/novel premise. It's not like there was going to be a big plot or anything, you're just a raptor that smashes stuff.

Ah, I gotcha.  I think Chris has a rebuttle to that, but I haven't really felt like reading the longer walls of text.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: August 31, 2016, 07:42:17 pm »

Quote from: Chris
Please feel free to go ahead and push the message out that this game is coming, and that people who want to weigh in on the design can come here NOW, if that's their bag.  Anyone who wants news of when the kickstarter launches (between 2-4 weeks from now) can email arcengames at gmail dot com.

Minor update post on AIW2.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #668 on: August 31, 2016, 07:44:20 pm »

The cynic in me says to ignore this for 2 years and then check back to see if it actually happens but that may be due to some other recent game failures 

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: August 31, 2016, 08:40:51 pm »

If they had 2 years to work on it without any extra fundraising or money issues, I doubt he'd have even considered a kickstarter for it. It wasn't (as far as I remember) an especially popular option the last time it was suggested to do one.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: September 01, 2016, 01:00:04 pm »

I'll definitely give to this kickstarter, as long as they make some significant upgrades - I don't want to pay for just a graphical overhaul.

I'm also concerned that AI War 2 might fall foul to an attack of the arcen random design choice generator. AI War was great because played pretty much like a standard RTS but with massive scope, tons of units and a strategic level not often seen in that kinda game. I'm worried that they might just start putting in really strange design choices to 'shake stuff up' and it'd just end up being weird.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #671 on: September 01, 2016, 01:22:04 pm »

Suddenly: Space Raptors

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: September 01, 2016, 07:18:56 pm »

No, I think Chris is pretty committed to making sure that whatever it is people like about AI War stays there.  He's going to make it heavily moddable (like Starward Rogue) and fix up some of the problems with the game and mechanics (e.g. modular units are going away and being replaced with "standard" static units that fill the same role, almost no one has a problem with that).  There's several discussions on things going on right now, such as:
  • Armor
  • Hull Types
  • Ammo Types
  • Tutorial
  • Human Leaders
  • Refactoring the difficulties (naming them, possibly removing several)
  • What to do with Hacking
  • Salvage
  • And more
If you want to add your voice, seriously, get over there and do so.

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
« Reply #673 on: September 01, 2016, 08:01:00 pm »

There are a lot of interesting directions to go with AI War, so modding alone will make it worth it to me.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: September 02, 2016, 10:00:55 pm »

First pass at part of the design document has been linked here by Chris. Subject to change, etc, etc. Not finished. Other general disclaimers.

If you want to add your voice, seriously, get over there and do so.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47