Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 82702 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #675 on: October 07, 2016, 02:19:04 pm »

KS is on the 10th.
Thats all for news for now.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: October 07, 2016, 02:27:11 pm »

... that picture looks terrifyingly like 3D. My computer weeps preemptively ;_;
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: October 07, 2016, 02:43:53 pm »

... that picture looks terrifyingly like 3D. My computer weeps preemptively ;_;
It is. But it uses squads to make things more...lots of stuff, and hopefully less slowdown-y. The starships and giant things are squads of one.
Honestly the design book document probably describes things better than I could here. But it is very long.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: October 07, 2016, 02:47:27 pm »

I didn't mind having the game be 2d myself. Hopefully the switch to 3d doesn't make things even more complicated...

Of course, I've never actually gotten to play this game for more than a couple minutes now that I think about it...

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: October 07, 2016, 03:37:04 pm »

M'just concerned about performance, mostly. Comp already doesn't really like AI War as is, ha, and I don't think I've ever seen a series transition from 2D to 3D and improve things on that front. Though I do definitely prefer 2D planes for strategy stuff, by quite the long shot. Not so much an issue of complexity as just view et al. I like being able to see behind me, and it's hella' easier to issue commands :P

Still, will give the KS a gander. Wouldn't mind giving them a little even if I can't play the thing, heh.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 03:38:59 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Nelia Hawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: October 07, 2016, 03:45:22 pm »

I didn't mind having the game be 2d myself. Hopefully the switch to 3d doesn't make things even more complicated...

their design document sais
First of all, it should be noted that while the graphics are moving from sprites to 3D meshes, this has no impact on gameplay itself.  Aka, space is still a flat plane that you view from above, rather than being a 3D place you explore like the Homeworld series.  No need to worry!

so its more a sins of a solar empire thing i guess, 3d ships but no 3d "space".

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: October 07, 2016, 03:51:41 pm »

Ah, fair enough. Still waiting for the doc to load on my tablet, heh. Does get that concern out of the way, at the least.

E: And it seems to claim that performance should improve. Seem to know what they're talking about, but, well. I've seen a lot of those sorts of claims over the last couple decades or so, and sometimes they even worked for some people. Haven't had that kind of luck for me, ha. Will have to wait and see. Hopefully there'll be some kind of demo thing, as per the first one.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:03:33 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: October 09, 2016, 04:38:48 pm »

Ah, fair enough. Still waiting for the doc to load on my tablet, heh. Does get that concern out of the way, at the least.

E: And it seems to claim that performance should improve. Seem to know what they're talking about, but, well. I've seen a lot of those sorts of claims over the last couple decades or so, and sometimes they even worked for some people. Haven't had that kind of luck for me, ha. Will have to wait and see. Hopefully there'll be some kind of demo thing, as per the first one.

I can imagine that the squad based system will help performance dramatically - should be enough to swallow up any change to 3D. However, I can imagine that there might be other areas that end up taking away performance. I wouldn't be too worried though, I think they realise that a lot of people aren't playing it on monster rigs.

With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Xgamer4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: October 10, 2016, 12:44:35 pm »

The AI Wars 2 Kickstarter is now active.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/arcengames/ai-war-ii
insert something mind-blowing/witty here*

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: October 10, 2016, 06:40:30 pm »

I'm playing this game now.

So, strategic advice: When is it a good idea to use the lesser warheads(as in, the ones that don't pulp planets)?
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: October 10, 2016, 06:56:20 pm »

So, strategic advice: When is it a good idea to use the lesser warheads(as in, the ones that don't pulp planets)?

There's two thoughts on this:
Never
All the time

And each has their pros and cons.

How much do you care about AIP?

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: October 10, 2016, 06:59:39 pm »

How much do you care about AIP?
This is the short answer, pretty much.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: October 10, 2016, 07:32:25 pm »

... but yeah, if you're getting used to the game you probably want to just forget the warheads exist. It's fairly unlikely you're going to be able to leverage them well enough it's worth the AIP troubles until you have a pretty good idea of what you're doing.

Or after, really. Conceptually they're good at busting into/through key systems or AI buildups, but in practice they're usually a poisoned apple. Looks pretty, tastes good, causes your liver to implode and suffer spontaneous existence failure several minutes later.

Personally, I think the best luck I've had with them is in last-push core assaults, for breaking through key systems before slamming into the AI homeworld. And luck is used pretty intentionally, not the least of reasons being that if it doesn't work, you might as well quit because you're not coming back from notable warhead usage. That said, I haven't exactly used them much, for, uh. Reasons that should be obvious at this point >_>
Ask not!
Ask!

Damiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: October 11, 2016, 03:56:26 pm »

One of the guys who beats AI war on 10/10 difficulty does so using a lot of warheads, so they are very much useful, at that extreme level of play.

However, if you use warheads, and fail to do whatever it was you were trying to do with them, now you're back where you started, except the AI is even madder at you than ever.  So they're a "make sure you know damn well what you're doing" before you use them.

As for the level 3 nuke warhead, I don't quite get the point.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: October 11, 2016, 04:16:54 pm »

One of the guys who beats AI war on 10/10 difficulty does so using a lot of warheads, so they are very much useful, at that extreme level of play.

However, if you use warheads, and fail to do whatever it was you were trying to do with them, now you're back where you started, except the AI is even madder at you than ever.  So they're a "make sure you know damn well what you're doing" before you use them.

As for the level 3 nuke warhead, I don't quite get the point.
Its a joke weapon.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47