Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47

Author Topic: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"  (Read 82709 times)

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« on: August 28, 2009, 08:11:20 pm »

And from what I've seen it look pretty darn fucking epic.

Imagine, space like you'd imagine space to be. VERY VERY VERY BIG. And difficult. To win. In.

http://www.arcengames.com/aiwar_features.php

Edit: Also did I mention its an 8 player co-op game aswell.
Edit 2: Also, no DRM.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 08:17:07 pm by Nilocy »

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Its called "AI War: Fleet Command"
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 08:19:26 pm »

Wow, a playable massive fleet simulator. I can't wait. Last one of those I played was an MMO, and the fleets and battles got so massive it destroyed 90% of the universe it was in. Then they decided to limit ALL items under player control, including buildings and units, to 10000 a player. Looking forward to massive space battles again.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 08:20:35 pm »

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=36651.0 We actually got posts from the creator in the last thread about it!

It's pretty cool.  I bought it.

But the fact that a ship in the full version is a direct unattributed sprite-rip from the first boss of Tyrian, loses *ALL* its coolness points in my book.  Where else did it steal graphics from?  What else did it appropriate?  Its music is awesome--but now I have to wonder if it was taken without permission.  Like Evony, copyright-violation games aren't good to play.

Wow.  My foot sure is tasty.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:43:26 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 08:33:53 pm »

Im downloading the demo, i shall give ita wizz tomorrow. Then prolly buy it and spend several hours playing it.

I do't konw what game is Sowelu, so it won't bother me that much. Pretty cool how the dev came and said hi, even if he did make an account for that sole purpose.

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 08:37:53 pm »

But the fact that a ship in the full version is a direct unattributed sprite-rip from the first boss of Tyrian, loses *ALL* its coolness points in my book.  Where else did it steal graphics from?  What else did it appropriate?  Its music is awesome--but now I have to wonder if it was taken without permission.  Like Evony, copyright-violation games aren't good to play.

I hope you're joking with that -- I'm not sure.  Not only do we attribute Daniel Cook, we do so in exactly the manner he requests.  Almost all of the ships in the game are based on his work from Tyrian or a few other (unreleased) games he was working on in the 90's, heavily edited.  Daniel Cook has a cool blog at which he very graciously supports indie developers by giving away his old pixelart for free, with the only request being a certain form of attribution (that we follow to the letter).

It's fair to say that AI War wouldn't exist, or exist in any sort of form like it currently does, without Daniel Cook having done that.  Now that AI War is getting popular enough to bring in enough money to hire an artist, we have done so and are busily sprucing up all of the graphics in general.  The new original works by Phil, our new artist, are also something that we are going to give away for free use to other indie developers (once we hit version 2.0 and have a big chunk of them done).  The thinking being that we'd like to give back to others in the same way that Daniel Cook helped us get off the ground.

And yes, all of the music is entirely original, by our composer Pablo Vega.  When people notice the Tyrian graphics that are recognizable, all they have to do is a google search to see that those are freely available.  Not too many just assume I'm a thief, but it's always kind of insulting when that happens.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 09:10:40 pm »

Pablo Vega...  That name sounds vaguely familiar.  Has he worked on any other projects?

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 09:14:12 pm »

Pablo Vega...  That name sounds vaguely familiar.  Has he worked on any other projects?

Nope, this is his first video game composition.  If you went to UNC Chapel Hill in the last few years, you might know him from there -- he was quite well acclaimed as a classical composer in that area.  Or, if you follow Anoop Desai, actually, you might know him from that source.  He's one of Anoop's best friends, and often people know him from that context.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2009, 09:21:36 pm »

Well in that case, no, I have no flippin' idea who he is or where I might have heard the name.  Weird.

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 09:22:46 pm »

Well in that case, no, I have no flippin' idea who he is or where I might have heard the name.  Weird.

Just a familiar-sounding name, I guess! :)

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 02:44:15 am »

I hope you're joking with that -- I'm not sure.  Not only do we attribute Daniel Cook, we do so in exactly the manner he requests.  Almost all of the ships in the game are based on his work from Tyrian or a few other (unreleased) games he was working on in the 90's, heavily edited.  Daniel Cook has a cool blog at which he very graciously supports indie developers by giving away his old pixelart for free, with the only request being a certain form of attribution (that we follow to the letter).

It's fair to say that AI War wouldn't exist, or exist in any sort of form like it currently does, without Daniel Cook having done that.  Now that AI War is getting popular enough to bring in enough money to hire an artist, we have done so and are busily sprucing up all of the graphics in general.  The new original works by Phil, our new artist, are also something that we are going to give away for free use to other indie developers (once we hit version 2.0 and have a big chunk of them done).  The thinking being that we'd like to give back to others in the same way that Daniel Cook helped us get off the ground.

And yes, all of the music is entirely original, by our composer Pablo Vega.  When people notice the Tyrian graphics that are recognizable, all they have to do is a google search to see that those are freely available.  Not too many just assume I'm a thief, but it's always kind of insulting when that happens.

Yow.  Okay, I didn't see that, and I apologize profusely.

Thanks for clearing up my rather grievous mistake...

Very...VERY profuse apologies, and I hope that's enough!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 02:46:32 am by Sowelu »
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2009, 03:06:52 am »

THE BLOOD GOD DEMANDS MOAR!
I got nothing

Redd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2009, 07:32:14 am »

x4000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2009, 08:39:35 am »

Yow.  Okay, I didn't see that, and I apologize profusely.

Thanks for clearing up my rather grievous mistake...

Very...VERY profuse apologies, and I hope that's enough!

No worries -- really. I don't want to smack anyone around about this.  I just don't like getting smacked around about it, either. ;)

But anyway, misunderstandings happen, there's no point in dwelling on them, so I'm happy to move on.  Glad the game is being rediscovered again on these boards, and if anyone has any questions I'm always happy to answer them!

Grishnak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2009, 12:25:35 pm »

I checked this game out last night/today and I have to say its quite impressive. Im working through  the intermediate tutorial, and Im liking how it is so far.  I am currently reading through the AI blog and I am very impressed . Im going to play it a bit longer, and see if it really hooks me in.  If it does, Ill buy it, and mebey a bunch of us could get a campaign going!

I really love that emergent behavior too, and really wanna take a peek under the hood at that ai code. :D

Edit: After poking around on the orgional forums for a bit. I seen that no one has beaten 2 lvl 8s or 1 lvl 9 or 10 AI yet. That excites me.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:42:27 pm by Grishnak »
I'm a saint when it comes to pirating.  I've ripped and burned many a .iso, went .rar at my maties and sailed the .7z's.
Blog for my new roguelike Lost Horizon. <- kind of on hold
My SoundCloud
My Youtube Channel

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2009, 01:05:40 pm »

Well, i just bought it, anyone want to organise some games?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 47