Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Making a race, with trainable slaves  (Read 1446 times)

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Making a race, with trainable slaves
« on: August 28, 2009, 10:32:15 pm »

Okay, so I'm making a race of evil humans who have 'pet' slaves... and I have no idea how to get humans to use the slaves as pets. Things im trying to get you to use them for:

bringing along on embark
for use in sieges (they bring them along when they siege you)
trainable guards
used for pulling wagons

And I dont know how to get them to do that.

Evil Human creature:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Slave creature:

Human entity:

I havent tested yet, but Im going to try and put all the tokens in before I test. Also, I've looked through the wiki but I havent found anything thats relevant to what Im trying to do. And yes, Ive looked through the creature token page.

Any help?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making a race, with trainable slaves
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 10:34:21 pm »

[WAGON_PULLER].

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2009, 01:35:19 am »

[INTELLIGENT]

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2009, 04:04:53 am »

Try the modding link on the main page. You might want to take a look through entity tokens if you're making a civ. And yeah, you'll need [INTELLIGENT] for them to civ. Other than that, looks okay.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2009, 05:19:02 am »

I dont want the slaves to civ, I want them to be used as pets for the evil humans, like dogs or cats.

I added [WAGON_PULLER] into the slaves creature entry, but that doesnt seem like all there should be.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 05:21:23 am »

There isn't really any set means of forcing a specific creature to be used in battles, or a specific way of forcing that specific creature to be used in any other means, bar removing all other non-civ [EVIL] creatures from the game.

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 11:05:42 am »

From a previous modding experience, civ creatures that have been copied and made into slaves (as entirely new creatures with the [PET] or somesuch token in them) become hungry and thirsty over time in fortress mode. The problem with this is that creatures do not naturally path to food when hungry, so eventually they will starve.

TLDR: Add [NO_EAT] and [NO_DRINK], or make them non-[INTELLIGENT] if you don't care about being able to "free" them in adventure mode. For pet selection, you can look a little down in the list on this page/section on the wiki:
http://dwarf.lendemaindeveille.com/index.php/Entity_tokens#Items_and_Animals_Used
So add those to your entity, and then the corresponding tag to your creature, ie [EVIL] for [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS]. Of course that'll give your civ other evil animals, but there's no custom categories as yet.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 02:08:58 pm »

Code: [Select]
[TRAINABLE]Is necessary to train them as war animals.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 03:39:33 pm »

Won't [INTELLIGENT] allow them to become an elected noble like the mayor? I heard animals with [CAN_SPEAK] get this problem and [INTELLIGENT] implies [CAN_SPEAK] I believe.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

KaziArmada

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2009, 08:21:09 pm »

Won't [INTELLIGENT] allow them to become an elected noble like the mayor? I heard animals with [CAN_SPEAK] get this problem and [INTELLIGENT] implies [CAN_SPEAK] I believe.
Not necesarily...Arnt there creatures *Or Megabeasts* With the tag?

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 12:39:56 am »

Okay, so Ive got the slaves working as pets in fort mode. I still havent seen them pull a wagon yet, but I havent had any traders, so Ill know soon.

How would I go about testing if they show up in sieges like the goblins bring beak dogs/trolls?

Keilden

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of The Endcat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 12:58:03 am »

Wait for a siege.
The Endcat will end you and everything you love.

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 01:49:11 am »

... makes sense. Thats kind of obvious isnt it? >_> fair enough, waiting it is.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 08:02:30 am »

To be used in sieges, the animal will have to be present in a biome where the civ has a location.  Since you didn't list any biomes, they most likely won't show up.  If you make them EVIL then that makes it harder as the civ will have to be present in an evil biome.  You can make them present in all biomes to make it more likely that an opponent civ will have access to them. 

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2009, 02:14:27 pm »

Not necesarily...Arnt there creatures *Or Megabeasts* With the tag?
Ah you are correct. I was repeating something I remember reading on here a long while back so I might be mistaken.

How would I go about testing if they show up in sieges like the goblins bring beak dogs/trolls?
Goblins ride beak dogs because the goblin entity has [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] and beak dogs have the [EVIL] and [MOUNT] tags. They only ride beakdogs if their civ overlaps a region that contains beak dogs.

Humans bring horses as mounts when they attack because the human entity has the [COMMON_DOMESTIC_MOUNT] tag and horses have the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [MOUNT] tags. I don't know if their civ needs to overlap a region containing horses for humans to ride horses though.

Unfortunately goblins brining trolls seems to be hardcoded. There are no tags that explicitly specify that they should bring trolls. The [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] tag on the goblin entity might be required and the [EVIL] tag on trolls also might be required but then they never bring any other evil animals save mounts.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands
Pages: [1] 2