Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: 4X Games Megathread  (Read 9653 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 4X Games Megathread
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2009, 01:46:38 pm »

I find the GalCiv series to be unbearably dull...
yeah, me too. :/
Choose Your Own Colonization for each planet.
Say what?

Multiple choice (Evil, Neutral, Good) when you colonize certain planets.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2009, 01:59:54 pm »

Honestly, I could see Turn Based 4x working very, very well in multiplayer, but I've never found one that I've gotten to work in multiplayer.

Mostly I think it would be awesome because people could potentially rp out alliances and diplomacy, and have awesome backstabbing.

Allegedly Dominions 3 has a pretty intense multiplayer gameplay. Never tried it myself, though
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2009, 02:01:28 pm »

Dominions 3 also costs 70 dollars. I will never pay 70 dollars for a game, and the....other method...of obtaining it (not that I would ever endorse such, due to forum policy) does not allow multiplayer.

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2009, 04:04:22 pm »

Say what?

oh. Never noticed that. Only played several games with it though.
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 03, 2009, 04:43:06 pm »

Oh that. Right. Temple of neutrality. Heh.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 03, 2009, 04:47:36 pm »

Say what?

oh. Never noticed that. Only played several games with it though.

It's not just colonization... several different points throughout the game, you're asked what you want to do, take a penalty but get people to like you more, take the middle path, or get a bonus and have people hate you more.

It does a pretty good job of balancing them out, since the nicer you get, the bigger the rewards are, and conversely, if you've been a jerk the whole game to the point where killing 10000 of your citizens to make narcotics for the Aardvarkian empire is about what people'd expect, you don't get as much cash for it as you would if you'd been a saint the whole game.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2009, 08:34:19 am »

I am trying out Sword of the Stars now, and am pleasantly surprised. In the past I avoided it because I took it to be too simplistic, and I believed it to be lacking diplomacy. However after testing it I notice that there is a great deal of depth hidden beneath the minimalistic interface and appearance. Also, I found that tiny little diplomacy button that's hidden away, and now am learning that there is indeed a great deal to diplomacy. Finding tiny little important button is indeed a common occurrence (I suppose that goes with having a minimalistic interface). Overall I'm having a great time and it has quickly risen to the top of my list.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2009, 04:13:11 pm »

I am trying out Sword of the Stars now, and am pleasantly surprised. In the past I avoided it because I took it to be too simplistic, and I believed it to be lacking diplomacy. However after testing it I notice that there is a great deal of depth hidden beneath the minimalistic interface and appearance. Also, I found that tiny little diplomacy button that's hidden away, and now am learning that there is indeed a great deal to diplomacy. Finding tiny little important button is indeed a common occurrence (I suppose that goes with having a minimalistic interface). Overall I'm having a great time and it has quickly risen to the top of my list.

Indeed. I bought the game on Friday, and have thoroughly enjoyed it so far. You can tell that they put a good deal of effort into trying to make the 6 races different in ways that weren't just superficial. I like the simplistic design that retains a lot of depth. There's not a lot of micromanagement, which is good when I have a lot of colonies.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2009, 05:48:50 pm »

It does a pretty good job of balancing them out, since the nicer you get, the bigger the rewards are, and conversely, if you've been a jerk the whole game to the point where killing 10000 of your citizens to make narcotics for the Aardvarkian empire is about what people'd expect, you don't get as much cash for it as you would if you'd been a saint the whole game.

wait, so its balanced because the good path pays off more the longer you take it, and the evil path pays off less the longer you take it?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2009, 05:57:38 pm »

wait, so its balanced because the good path pays off more the longer you take it, and the evil path pays off less the longer you take it?

No, the longer you take the good path, the more taking an evil choice will benefit you.

Think of it like two stacks.  There's a PR stack and a Goodies stack.  Stacks start at 10 tokens.  Each time you get a choice, it adds 1(1-10) token to each stack, and you can pick 20% of the PR stack (good) 20% or the Goodies stack (evil) or 10% of each (Neutral).  If you keep taking the good option, the evil option gets sweeter and sweeter and sweeter.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]