Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Underground Rivers.... in Glaciers?  (Read 1019 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Underground Rivers.... in Glaciers?
« on: August 29, 2009, 11:07:35 pm »

Is it possible? The thought just struck me.

It may be well too late to attempt this, given the imminence of the next version (hopefully), but it just occurred to me that it'd be rather fantastic to see.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Enatai

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_MODDING]
    • View Profile
Re: Underground Rivers.... in Glaciers?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 03:08:33 am »

Doubtful considering the fact that the water'd be frozen when you got there and there's really no way to do it yourself.  Glaciers are themselves water, after all, and there's no way to have regular water flow through frozen water as an underground river.  You could TRY magma, but that'd be pretty impossible to do without making it a magma river instead.  Hell, I don't even know if magma turns ice into water since I've never done a magma/ice biome.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 03:11:14 am »

If you're far enough underground, water won't be frozen.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 05:31:47 am »

Doubtful considering the fact that the water'd be frozen when you got there and there's really no way to do it yourself.  Glaciers are themselves water, after all, and there's no way to have regular water flow through frozen water as an underground river.  You could TRY magma, but that'd be pretty impossible to do without making it a magma river instead.  Hell, I don't even know if magma turns ice into water since I've never done a magma/ice biome.

Actually it'd be fine; so long as the water is underground there's no problem.

winner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 11:48:15 am »

The great game of Warlocks!

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 01:58:38 pm »

well it exist in real life.
http://gemini.oscs.montana.edu/~geol445/hyperglac/meltwater2/

Not only that, but glaciers often have large surface-level holes which lead to these melt-rivers.  Very dangerous to fall into, and it would be fun to have them in DF.

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 02:52:56 pm »

I'm playing on such a map right now. Unfortunately the river is running through rock beneath the ice, not in the ice right now. I have a set of parameters which is (basically) guaranteed to generate a map with lots of glaciers without resorting to the cheap 'all the temperatures are 100 degrees below zero' method, but unfortunately the glaciers rarely have many z-levels of ice.

If anyone has a map with a glacier in it which has an actual underground river in the ice, that would be fascinating. I'm sure it can happen, its probably just not too often.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 09:11:34 pm »

A UG river -in- the ice would require a mountain that has ice on it, and i don't think i've ever seen that.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:43:48 am »

The ice levels count as aboveground and therefore will instantly freeze any water in them. This pretty much makes it impossible to have a river in the ice. You can have an underground river beneath the rock under the ice fine though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.