Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Small Suggestions Thread  (Read 17803 times)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Small Suggestions Thread
« on: August 30, 2009, 08:43:09 am »

I'd like to launch this thread to discuss about "small" suggestions, that is suggestions that meet most of these criteria :

- Relatively quick and easy to implement for Toady.
- Doesn't affect the gameplay too much.
- Isn't really needed, but will be fun / nice to have.

So no multi-tiles creatures, railroad, magic or boats discussion here, just things that (you think) could be implemented in a couple of hours by editing a few source files.

Here's the already suggested ideas :

Spoiler: Interface (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Jobs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Nobles (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designations/Zones (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: AI (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Stockpiles/Hauling (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Other Features (click to show/hide)

Do you have any simple, quick idea to make the game more enjoyable ?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 10:40:00 am by Timst »

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Small Suggestions Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:18:38 am »

Separate unit list for friendlies, enemies, and deadies.

Not sure if your idea is already planned?  Ctrl-F here.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 09:30:18 am »

Separate unit list for friendlies, enemies, and deadies.

Not sure if your idea is already planned?  Ctrl-F here.

Seconded. That would be nifty.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 11:26:04 am »

The ability to make metal mechanisms, seriously this complete reliance on bauxite for magma related mechanics is very annoying.

Some sort of rudimentary blasting cap or something so I can remove the tile leading to the magma pipe safely, it's very annoying to lose a miner every other time you tap a pipe.

Less impossible demands, it's absolutely ridiculous for someone to demand wolf bone items on a map that never even had wolves in the first place, there's no way to complete it so in the end it results as 'random event decides to kill one random dwarf, is this awesome (Y/N)?'

The ability to set some animal types to auto slaughter (so butchers go after them the minute they enter the map) (ie kittens)

The ability to 'preserve' certain animals, so your hunters will not target them (which can also result in preserving your hunters if you have giant eagles or GCS)

More ways to create fire other than magma, dragons, and magma pipe related creatures (i want to manually ignite lignite bins)

Give skeletal giant eagles dwarf seeking missiles that can dig.

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 10:31:51 pm »

Also seconding the ignite designation.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2009, 09:30:43 am »

Me too. Would be swell if you could attach a lever to do this.

LordDemon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2009, 09:39:38 am »

Me too. Would be swell if you could attach a lever to do this.

Maybe when alchemy is implemented, this will come feasible.
At least I hope so. I would love to have a last ditch defense mechanism, that sets the grass on fire, and burns everyone not safely underground.
If you are a goblin, you know you joined the wrong siege when the grates come down and bridge raises behind you, trapping you inside.

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2009, 10:28:21 am »

Here's mine: NPCs who are non-hostile should treat roads as having a high traffic designation. Basically, waggons, migrants, and traders would be more prone to pathing to a road and following it to your fort.

This:
-Helps give roads more of a purpose
-Means you don't have to build guideposts to keep things  on the roads
-Helps you plan your defence
-Makes the AI look like it has a bit of a brain

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=35160.0;topicseen

lastofthelight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2009, 12:13:55 pm »

For dwarves in artifact moods to use the most valuable materials, rather then the closest materials. If my weaponsmith is making the battleaxe /of his life/, I don't want him using bronze because it happens to be lying beside him when adamantine wafers are 16 blocks away.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 12:56:50 pm »

I edited the OP to make a summary of the suggestions. Continue on :p !

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 01:02:03 pm »

For dwarves in artifact moods to use the most valuable materials, rather then the closest materials. If my weaponsmith is making the battleaxe /of his life/, I don't want him using bronze because it happens to be lying beside him when adamantine wafers are 16 blocks away.
Well, for weapons and armour the most effective material. And there should be a little randomization within the top three materials, to allow some variation, instead of ending up with platinum artifact after platinum artifact.

As small suggestion: open cages without building them and hooking up a lever first. Sometimes, it's just a tame raccoon and not an elephant.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:56:29 pm by Silverionmox »
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 03:51:09 pm »

Bad example, since tame animal can be easily caged or uncaged. But I get your point, and I add it to the OP.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2009, 04:45:50 pm »

I don't agree at all on the artifact thing. That said, it'd be nice if they tried not to grab multiples of the same item within an item type (i.e. granite with spikes of granite).

My suggestions:

-"Expand Stockpile" option. When painted over an area containing free ground and one (only one) stockpile, the painted area is added as a part of the stockpile. Good for oddly-shaped stockpiles and unexpected boons.

-A permissions list for a stockpile; allows you to block persons from taking items or depositing them.

-A "Sort Stockpile" command to rearrange items and place like items together. Especially helpful for sorting varieties of stone or wood.

-The ability to cover bodies with a cloth to reduce negative thoughts from death and/or decay.

-The ability to make cloth bedsheets and install them on beds to increase their comfort quality by a margin.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2009, 04:59:48 pm »

-The ability to cover bodies with a cloth to reduce negative thoughts from death and/or decay.

-The ability to make cloth bedsheets and install them on beds to increase their comfort quality by a margin.

Remember that this thread is aimed toward really simple suggestions that will likely not include a lot of code writing from Toady. Smaller than a Bloat, and more the size of a Req, if smaller.

Your bedsheets idea for instance, require the making of a new item, which raise the questions : "Made from what ? where ? which price ? what does the quality level do ?". Then these bedsheets must be installed on a bed, and again it's "how ? by designating ? by a new order in the bed menu ? in the clothier workshop menu ? by who ?", and there's the whole "confort quality" thing, which can be either raising the bed's quality, or adding a new thought related to bedsheets, and etc.

Programming is counter-intuitive. Great things can be achieved with some lines of code, whereas smaller add can be a headache to program. Try to think about it before suggesting something that, at first, doesn't seems complicated.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2009, 02:05:39 am »

Blasting caps need work; I can't imagine the power of an item that causes a fire made easily. We just want to blow up all tiles around it. But not a fuck the world device--you need magma and Fun for that.

- Dwarves do something more meaningful on break than just stand around, such as wash off all that blood and vomit and mud they acquire.

- Different trap types, such as an actual trap door that acts like a lever, opens up; requires a building material and a mechanism.

- Party interaction toggle; can find out the reason for organizing a party and what is being done. Can also be applied to meetings. While it's sometimes obvious, it might be fun to see what they're going on about. (You know, to find out how they got to the topic of naming all the caveswallowmen).

- Capping job management queues for greater than 30 on certain types and generating a notice that it has been reduced to its cap if you ask for more.

- Display cases. Sort of a storage device for a prized item that can set up and assigned a specific item from the fortress. Can be made out of any existing material, built as a Container, but can be assigned an item once built. Possibilities can be raised to creating a new room: Museum. Might seem a little too much.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4