Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Small Suggestions Thread  (Read 17795 times)

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small Suggestions Thread
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2009, 03:03:51 am »

- Different trap types, such as an actual trap door that acts like a lever, opens up; requires a building material and a mechanism.

Hm, I don't get it. You mean a door that act like a lever (on/off) when someone use it ? If that's what you meant, pressure plates already do that, sort of.

- Party interaction toggle; can find out the reason for organizing a party and what is being done. Can also be applied to meetings. While it's sometimes obvious, it might be fun to see what they're going on about. (You know, to find out how they got to the topic of naming all the caveswallowmen).

Here's a topic about parties and celebrations. And IIRC, Toady stated he would allow us to see what's going on during meetings and perhaps parties

- Display cases. Sort of a storage device for a prized item that can set up and assigned a specific item from the fortress. Can be made out of any existing material, built as a Container, but can be assigned an item once built. Possibilities can be raised to creating a new room: Museum. Might seem a little too much.

Neat idea, but I don't know tough. There's no such thing in the game that a building which value raise up depending on what item is inside, but on the other hand it could be built like a multi-item building (wells, screw pumps etc.) : you will need an empty case (made at the carpenter / mason / smith shops) and a precious craft / weapon / you name it to put into. Then you could designate a room from it the way you do it already. Seems relatively simple, but I don't know about the specifics.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2009, 05:40:29 am »

Bad example, since tame animal can be easily caged or uncaged. But I get your point, and I add it to the OP.
You can cage the animal (if you can find it in the relevant screen), but you can't open a particular cage - not without building it, building a lever, connecting them, giving the pull order. Sometimes you just want to let the vermin out of a cage to empty a couple cages for use in traps.

Besides that, an auto-cage order for newly acquired non-pet tame animals.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2009, 06:45:54 am »

Ah yes, the vermin can't be evacuated from the cage. But if you got, say, a horse in a (built) cage, you can simply use the cage menu to release it. Soon a dwarf will come, release the horse and a few time after the horse will eventually leave to wander in the fortress.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2009, 07:55:10 am »

Ah yes, the vermin can't be evacuated from the cage. But if you got, say, a horse in a (built) cage, you can simply use the cage menu to release it. Soon a dwarf will come, release the horse and a few time after the horse will eventually leave to wander in the fortress.
I don't always want to build the cage.. just free it up. It should be possible to make that same menu accessible, even when the cage isn't built.

A few other ones:
- Autopause when the last good designated for hauling to the TD has been hauled.
- Autopause when the broker finally arrives at the depot.
- A ball and chain to force the broker to stay in the Trade Depot until the caravan leaves.
- Autopause just before the caravan leaves.

Threlicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2009, 08:21:13 am »

Have levers display what they are connected to somewhere.

Allow levers to be connected 'backwards', so that one lever pull can open one door/floodgate and close another.

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2009, 10:02:55 am »

- Different trap types, such as an actual trap door that acts like a lever, opens up; requires a building material and a mechanism.

Hm, I don't get it. You mean a door that act like a lever (on/off) when someone use it ? If that's what you meant, pressure plates already do that, sort of.

Sorry, what I was thinking of was a false floor that when a creature steps on it, it gives and they fall down into the pit below (so it'd require an open space to designate): This is what is commonly known as a "trap door."

[edit]copypasta fail.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2009, 10:06:40 am by neek »

Kietharr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2009, 12:51:50 pm »

Oh, another idea: Dowsing devices. Finding underground magma and water is such a crapshoot without reveal.exe and I hate cheating just so I don't end up making my primary fort on the opposite side of the map from my magma and water.

Some sort of device that can be given to miners that will give notification if nonrevealed magma/water/chasms are or may be nearby or on the same level would be peachy. Also, for added fun make HFS interfere with the readings so you dig into the pit while looking for magma.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2009, 12:53:38 pm »

Oh, another idea: Dowsing devices. Finding underground magma and water is such a crapshoot without reveal.exe and I hate cheating just so I don't end up making my primary fort on the opposite side of the map from my magma and water.

Some sort of device that can be given to miners that will give notification if nonrevealed magma/water/chasms are or may be nearby or on the same level would be peachy. Also, for added fun make HFS interfere with the readings so you dig into the pit while looking for magma.

I know I'm in the minority here, but finding underground features and having to adjust my fortress as I build around them is 90% of what makes the game replayable to me.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2009, 02:45:35 pm »

I know I'm in the minority here, but finding underground features and having to adjust my fortress as I build around them is 90% of what makes the game replayable to me.
Seconded.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2009, 04:05:56 pm »

Ideally, next version's abundance of features will allow people to not have to go hunting for things to have Fun™ with.

A new suggestion: FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK, show the gender of caged animals. Right now it's a game of russian roulette.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Timst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2009, 06:15:52 am »

Updated. Also, the whole dowsing / prospecting / surveying / you name it stuff is both too complicated for this thread and too controversial to be added.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2009, 04:53:47 pm »

1) Near-omnipresent "s-menu". When you go to select things for hauling to the depot, there's an "s-elect" menu option that allows you to type part of a name. So "s-sock" filters the list of everything to show just socks. There are a whole lot more places where that exact same sort of filter would be useful. In the trade menu itself, you could select all the giant eagle leather in one fell swoop. The construction menu, and several other places where you get a list of choices would be handy. (Especially if there's a standard shorthand for for different quality. "1bed" meaning "Only show beds of standard quality on my list" or any other pattern that makes sense.)

2) On Stockpiles: allow "Item is melt designated" in a similar fashion to 'usable' and 'unusable' for armor/weapons/etc. Or otherwise allow some sort of "Smelter" stockpile.

3) During trading: Allow "Mark all non-bins for trading" and "Buy out caravan". Macros may improve this, but marking ever single item in a "We love you, we brought a ridiculous pile of crap" caravan is excruciating. As is selecting enough socks to ensure a 50,000 coin profit just just make -sure- they love you. (Even if they do run into goblins. Frequently.)

Toksyuryel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2009, 05:45:37 pm »

This qualifies, I think.

Atarlost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 07:46:17 pm »

Consistant ore bearing rock representation. 

Currently most ores are represented by british pounds.  Some, including native aluminum and magnetite are not.  This is potentially confusing for new players. 

My suggestion is to ither use the british pound for all metals or if the color space is inadequate designate an additional charachter for ore bearing rock and use one or the other for all ore bearing rock.  I think the Franc, Dollar are unused at this time as is a Pt ligature grouped with the currency symbols that I think may be the Peseta.  Any of these would be a logical extension of the current use of the pound for most metals. 

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 10:26:19 pm »

Currently most ores are represented by british pounds.  Some, including native aluminum and magnetite are not.  This is potentially confusing for new players. 
I wasnt confused about the ores when I was learning about the game at all. I just ran everything over with the "k" key to see what everything was and then I got used to what things were.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4