Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Small Suggestions Thread  (Read 17790 times)

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small Suggestions Thread
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 10:48:15 pm »

Likewise. You begin to learn the exceptions rather rapidly.

Also:

Personal social history. When were friends and grudges made? What parties did they attend? When was Urist married? When was Urist Jr. born? Etc.

[Edit]

Also, "wet" stone locations should leak after a while, seeping water in. This might cause negative thoughts. Patching it with stone might be a good idea, or patching it with some other substance.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 11:19:33 pm by neek »

ShadeJS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2009, 11:01:35 pm »

My small suggestion: Keep this thread on the front page because it's good. :) (or 'bump'.)

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2009, 07:03:50 am »

How about the ability to make beds from something other then wood?
Rolling boulder traps?
Crushing wall traps?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

neek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2009, 11:57:23 pm »

I really like crushing wall-traps. Rolling boulders sounds like so much... Fun.

Would be nice for some sort of fencing. Weak constructive walls that're half-height (so they can hold up to 4/7 water before spilling over), with matching height doors. Could lead into creating "stabling" for mounted creatures.

cyclotis04

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 10:14:27 pm »

Easily identifiable Dwarven happiness meter. Perhaps just a dwarf face next to their name, when view with 'v' or 'u' that's color coded. Green is happy, red is angry.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2009, 12:00:04 am »

Sort the animals in the stocks menu by species, then by ownership (owned animals go on top of their species), then by age, then by gender. Would make breeding so much easier if I could just look at all my lamas (dig deeper) and leave one stud animal then butcher all the other males, or count how many actual breeding llamas I have. My current fort has 8 pages of animals (down from 12, the butchery gave me 340 meat and 5 bonus FPS), and it's a random mix of horses, cows, llamas, chickens, donkeys, cats, dogs, and a yak or two. I can't make heads or tails of it.

Separate ores from regular and flux stones in the stocks menu. Usually when I brave the stones list in the stocks menu and the 3 minute lagfest as my computer counts every stone in the fortress, all I want to do is see how much malachite I have left or forbid all the horn silver so I can make electrum from the less valuable galena. I really could care less about how many chunks of granite I have.

Not a small suggestion, but it would be nice if marksdwarves would only take spent ammo as a lst resort. I hate to see my marksdwarves charge into combat carrying 1 fish bone bolt when I've been mass producing stacks of 40 from orcs/goblins, or picking up spent ammo marked for melting instead of a fresh stack of 25 iron bolts.

More of a bug fix, but it would be nice if when dwarves were switched from wrestling to a weapon they would check to make sure they have nothing in their hands but shields and gloves. Marking these items for dumping is time consuming. Just as important, they should check to see if they're completely covered (though I think they do this already).

Sort stones alphabetically, or put the order they appear in the stockpile in the raws somewhere. If you want to build out of a particular material, you have to check the entire list. Being able to scroll to the g's for gabbro or the m's for microline would be great.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2009, 03:41:12 am »

When ordering military dwarves to equip armor/weapons, allow us to choose specifically which armor/weapon they will use.  Or allow us to choose the materal of armor/weapon to equip.  Tired of the equip-forbid-unequip-equip dance  ;D

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2009, 05:08:11 am »

Not a small suggestion, but it would be nice if marksdwarves would only take spent ammo as a lst resort. I hate to see my marksdwarves charge into combat carrying 1 fish bone bolt when I've been mass producing stacks of 40 from orcs/goblins, or picking up spent ammo marked for melting instead of a fresh stack of 25 iron bolts.

I believe that there is a way to set it so that the individual bolts that miss are automatically forbidden, if you're not already using it. It's not much, but it helps.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:37 am »

I believe that there is a way to set it so that the individual bolts that miss are automatically forbidden, if you're not already using it. It's not much, but it helps.

They're forbidden automatically, but I usually end up unforbidding them post battle so my dwarves will get all the old armor inside for melting. I've seen dwarves pick up spent ammo marked for melting as well, which is irritating, and until your dwarves get around to melting it or they use it, they won't drop it for another stack. Regardless though, it would be nice if they would default to the largest nearby stack.

Actually, I had a longer suggestion where it's controlled inside the squad menu, where dwarves can choose ammo based on stack size regardless of material (so they'd take 40 orc bone bolts over 25 steel bone bolts), power regardless of size(25 steel over 40 orc bone), or overall killing power (would promote lag, but dwarves would try to find the stack that has the most damage potential). But this is a small suggestions thread, and dwarves deciding on ammo based on stack size is a small suggestion.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

yatima2975

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 21, 2009, 08:44:08 am »

Two small interface suggestions: being able to select areas for construction larger than 10 by 10 would be nice (up to screen size, maybe?). Also, the trading interface should use half the screen width per buy/sell area, not the currently used fixed width.

Linknoid

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2009, 09:19:56 pm »

I discovered this game a few weeks ago, and have rapidly wasted many hour of my life since.  But there are a few UI issues that really drive me crazy.

One is the setting [KEY_HOLD_MS:150] in init.txt.  Why can't keyboard input in game work like normal keyboard input, where there's a delay before it starts repeating, and then repeats at a more rapid fixed pace.  If I increase KEY_HOLD_MS, it makes it easier to avoid undesired repeat keystrokes, but then repeat while holding becomes painfully slow.

Next issue is with focus stealing.  Often I send out my diggers and then go do other things.  They periodically report back that they discovered new mineral types.  It's not so bad if it's something like platinum or opals or whatever, but I get really tired of constant interruptions telling me that they discovered alunite or cinnebar or talc or whatever.  It never notifies me about stuff like obsidian, marble, granite, basalt, some of which I care about, so why does it have to steal focus for every worthless rock?

And another suggestion regarding focus stealing.  When I'm scrolling around the map, various events trigger a pause + jumping to the event location.  But since I'm in the middle of moving, the focused location is immediately lost.  I'd like to be able to scroll through the recent announcements and jump to the location where any message was triggered (such as a dead dwarf, an incoming caravan, a kobold thief spotted, etc.).

And finally I'd like to express my frustration with trying to navigate the build menu.  It feels like everything just got dumped in there, and I'm constantly having to scroll through dozens of items trying to find the right one.  A little organization would be nice.  I don't expect this to be followed exactly, but something along these lines:

Furniture: Armor Stand, Bed, Seat, Burial Receptacle, Cabinet, Container, Door, Weapon Rack, Statue, Table, Cage, Glass Window, Gem Window, Well (maybe)

Structural: Everything in Wall/Floor/Stairs, Farm plot, Paved Road, Dirt Road, Bridge, Support, Floodgate, Floor Hatch, Wall Grate, Floor Grate, Vertical Bars, Floor Bars

Buildings:
    Workshops menu, Furnaces menu, Kennel, Trade Depot, Seige engines menu, Machine components menu

Possibly put animal trap with traps

Oh, and it would be really convenient to designate certain weapons as practice weapons and other weapons for combat and automatically switch as needed.
« Reply #41 on: November 08, 2009, 12:39:16 am »

Clearing stockpiles of non-stocked items (like PILES AND PILES OF USELESS STONE) immedeately.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 08, 2009, 12:46:26 am »

Heh

Treasure Vaults: Specifically a location to keep coins, gems, and other treasures. More then one kind wouldn't be terrible either. depending on the civilisation they should have a different amount of protection.

Actually more valuable locations in general. Why is it that only Player run Dwarves are required to make platnum statues and gold plated floors?
-I realise that the REAL reason is probably the Carrivan Arc and likely balancing (since realistic carrying limits don't exist)

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 08, 2009, 09:26:23 pm »

I'd like to see more context in Legends mode. Specifically, I often have trouble telling the difference between civilizations, groups, and cities. Perhaps just append "The city of" or "The nation" or "The elf" or whatever; another possible solution would be to color code different things.

EDIT: Hmm, apparently creatures are already differentiated. My bad.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2009, 11:48:34 pm »

Oh, another one. I'd like to see dwarves actively move foreign objects out of stockpiles they don't belong in (similar to how dwarves clear a building site before building there) to save the micromanagement of having to dump the stone out of every stockpile I carve.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4