Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Small Suggestions Thread  (Read 17789 times)

Pikdome

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Small Suggestions Thread
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2009, 01:52:01 am »

I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, but how about coral's for tropical coasts?
I mean, its not really game altering, it would just be a nice semi-valuable organic origin stone to gather.
Of course you'd have to devise a method of getting to it, with it being underwater and all. It also of course could come in various colors.
I feel it would add an extra little something for coastal fortresses.

MrLobster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2009, 07:07:06 pm »

I would like...

* Configurable autozoom. At a minimum, a list of strings in an init file, and when an output message matches any one of those strings, it triggers an auto-zoom.

* Along with the above, an "alert" flag that can be set on traps via the (q) menu.  When the trap is sprung, it triggers a log message. Default on for most traps but not fluid-activated pressure plates.

* Unit list finding/filtering.
- Filter by string appearing in name or activity, of course. ("mood", "invader", "mayor", etc.)
- Filter by ENABLED JOB. (u)+(j)+MASON filters list to all dwarves with Masonry enabled.
- Ability to edit a dwarf's jobs etc. from the unit screen without aborting the unit screen would be nice.

* Confirm on embark AFTER preparing carefully, too.

* Invaders to have lots of wear on their clothing (and have less of it), especially in the case of goblins.

* Stockpile Auto-designate. When items are placed on the stockpile they receive an automatic designation like Forbid, Melt, Dump, Un-Hide. Un-Hide on by default.

* 'Killed by' line for dead creatures, also shows up on coffins.

* When engraving in an assigned room, use owner's preferences/info for what to engrave.

* Seasonal limits to aboveground crops.

* Toughen megabeasts somehow.

* Nerf trading prepared food somehow. Simply forbid trading it, or lessen its value, or greatly increase preparation times.. whatever.

* Escalating furniture (especially cabinets) requirements for higher levels of bookkeeper.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 12:15:11 am »

Oh! I just thought of one. I often use notes to help me plan and visualize what I want to build, but often times when I'm marking something like the perimeter of a room I'm going to carve out it's very tedious to place notes around the corners of each room. I think it'd be nice if there was a way to make multi-tile notes by dragging out rectangles. Thoughts? :P

orbcontrolled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2009, 01:05:51 pm »

Managment queues
- Capping job management queues for greater than 30 on certain types and generating a notice that it has been reduced to its cap if you ask for more.

Am I missing something here? The game already does this and it bugs me to no end, just because it feels so arbitrary.
I propose the exact opposite: Remove the cap on job management queues, or at the very least have the game split large tasks into smaller ones.
I have precisely 84 rooms, I need precisely 84 rock coffers. If the game wants that number split up into queues of 30, 30, 24, then the game can darn well do the integer/modulus division itself.

10x10 Constructions
Speaking of arbitrary limits...
being able to select areas for construction larger than 10 by 10 would be nice (up to screen size, maybe?).
Putting in a vote for this.

I guess changing the construction and queue limits could become terribly involved depending on how the code is written, but I hope the code is flexible enough that it would just mean increasing a few hard-coded numbers and recompiling.

Descriptions on trade screen
In the trading screen: I play with a large window, so I have plenty of black space below the trading colums. Why not display the full name of the currently selected good in some of that space, in such a way that the text can span the whole screen. Basically just a quick hack to make it easier to see the full name of items that don't fit in the half-window space without having to view them.
Don't displace anything else though, if the player's window/monitor isn't tall enough (in this day and age?), then just let it get cut off.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 11, 2009, 08:21:18 am »

Not a very serious suggestion but the idea struck me as a very Koboldish sport...

Kobolds should try to steal clothes off dwarfs and run away with them.

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 11, 2009, 07:01:55 pm »

I would like a [VERMINHUNTER_CANNOT_ADOPT] option in the init.

Also, dwarves will only adopt vermin if they admire them. I think all dwarves should adopt vermin, unless they detest that particular creature. I want my pet hedgehogs, damnit!

Amalgam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 11, 2009, 11:10:30 pm »

Hidden items should be unhidden when they're moved, so you don't get a bunch of phantom objects clogging up your stockpiles, among other reasons. Generally, hide is used to hide objects that the player intends to ignore and doesn't want to see. The player expects those objects to remain there, but if anything causes them to move the player should be able to see where they moved. Possible init option?

[Edit to avoid yet another double post] The screen where the liason "Finalizes the export agreements" should only list items that have a price other than 100%. It would make it alot easier to see what's changed.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 11:32:23 pm by Amalgam »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 11, 2009, 11:57:44 pm »

I'd like to be able to get an afteraction report on sieges (who killed who,how many total invaders there were, etc.) without abandoning the fort to look at Legends.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Kobold6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 18, 2009, 01:45:48 pm »

I'd like to see an ID assigned to mechanisms once they're installed in something. So with a bit of effort the effect of a level can be discovered.

INSANEcyborg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2009, 04:08:32 pm »

To combine the suggestions about beds:

When making a bed from a workshop, change it to bed frames, and allow them to be built out of wood, stone, metal, or glass.  When building a bed in the build menu, make it take a frame and a piece of cloth.

This lets beds be built out of more things, and lets you use bed sheets.  You'll have more control over the value of the bedroom, tower-cap beds with pig tail sheets for peasants and a platinum bed with masterfully dyed giant cave spider silk for the nobles.  It also makes cloth more practical, a few pieces should added as default equipments for embarking.

Since there are already buildings that require multiple parts to make, I don't think this will be too hard to implement, just rename bed to bed frame and add cloth as a second component.  For simplicity's sake I'd stop here, but if you really wanted to, you could make weavers turn cloth into bedsheets and use those instead.

Floor/Vertical bars:  To make them less like grates, I'd change them to a type of construction.   The major changes being that you can build over them (One under a well could stop dwarfs from falling in) and they would support other constructions (You wouldn't have to leave gaps for support when making a large drainage areas).   If they can't be used with levers/pressure plates that's fine.   Of course, if they'd still work, I could put removable horizontal support to good use in my traps.

nogibator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2010, 07:52:41 pm »

Can we have tag for skill levels required for dwarf to be appointed? Appointed champion that must have legendary weaponskill looks fairly realistic. And can such a noble be required to create something in workshop?
Can we have tag for workshop to be constructed only on water source, as with magmabuildings(someone requested already, so i'll just second this)?
Can we have possibility to create sentient creatures(controllable in the manner of dwarfs) in workshop?

Creature templates are already here, so we(I) can mod in complicated golem system, wich for example requires appointed legendary engraver as runecarver. Than various runes can be created in mason's workshop/jevelry(or some rune-shop) by that dwarf, and various golems constructed in some kind of golem forge, with properties of the construction material and various types based on said runes.
Semi-sentiet creatures able only to fight/haul things could be very helpful with new "fog-of-underground" system and random-generated-beasts.
And that's just one example.

Also, i suppose that it can't be done without some rewrites, but anyway:Is it possible to make item able to alter/add tags of/to wearer?
sorry for bad grammar, not native english speaker

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 11:20:21 am »

When selecting goods to be brought to the depot, and again when selecting goods in the trading screen: a key that selects the whole damn screen at once. Better would be to have persistent trade good tags (in the eternal suggestions list), so that you don't need to select all these trade goods again, again, and again for every caravan that arrives.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

gordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2010, 06:04:51 pm »

I would like to be able to see which dwarf has achieved the military requirements i set (ie: weapon(s) and armor). It's not fun to set all your dorfs to use chain and then plate and then weapons, see them all running around to grab armor, but not know until some time later that there wasnt enough to go around or one or two were left weaponless, etc. I imagine they would work a bit like player-set mandates, where the dwarfs requirements are red when they are not met, yellow when they are partial and white when they are met or exceeded. They shouldnt need to suffer any good or bad thoughts for not meeting these requirements but at least it shoudl alert the player to make one more suit of plate or a few extra weapons to meet the requirements of your army.

My next suggestion is a similar noble screen to see if a dorf has been made happy or sad by their preferences lately. For example, a dorf who likes crossbows made into an archer, one who likes beds being able to crank them out in a  workshop, or one who likes horses being able to enjoy one as a pet or in a cage.  It could double as some sort of 'happiness' screen where you can more closely monitor your dorfs happiness (maybe not down to the exact number but maybe in happiness order from ecstatic to miserable)... this could even work in a psychologist screen where your chief medical officer establishes these values (in the same was as the hoardmaster settings determines the count accuracies of your stocks)..?

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]