Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse RPG - This is going to be more work than I thought.  (Read 10717 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile

So I had the best idea ever.

Dark Heresy is probably the most violent pen and paper RPG I've seen.  FATAL is probably worse, but I don't want to know anything about FATAL.

You know what else is violent?  Zombie Apocalypse.  Yes.  You know you want this.

Here's what I'm thinking right now, post if you have an idea.

I'll set up a city, make a map for it, get an idea of what items are where, and set up dice tables to determine what's actually there.

There should be vehicles, I have the vehicle rules apocrypha, but I'll probably have to make modifications to the rules to make zombies a threat.  I'm thinking there should be a serious risk of being dragged out through the windows if you drive into a crowd of zombies.

I'm trying to decide whether or not there should be career progression.  Part of me says yes, part of me says no.  Progression would make it easier to differentiate similar careers, but at the same time I feel like a survival game shouldn't have you leveling up.

Another thing, of course, is zombies.  I suppose I could make multiple types of zombies and let the players pick what kind of apocalypse they have.  Other people GMing with the same ruleset could do their own thing with the zombies or use one of the predefined types I'll figure out.

Here are the zombies I've thought about, you guys may know more.

Romero Zombies - Slow, shambling, can only be killed via destroying the brain or severing its connection to the body(Or if you're going with some of the other movies, by completely destroying its body).  Can do basic human things like open doors, and when no brains are to be found mill about in places they used to frequent.  I don't know if I'll use this, because I don't like the idea of zombies that can open doors.

Non-Romero Shamblers - Slow, shambling, brain thing, huge hordes, can't open doors.  This seems like a likely choice, along with...

Infected Living Humans - Technically not zombies, although only jerks actually call you on that.  Fast, sometimes faster than humans, and the infection means they can run without stopping for longer than a human.  If we use these you're going to want to use vehicles for travel, because I will be going with the one-bite-and-you're-infected rule.

I may allow you to spend experience at character creation to be immune, but it's going to be expensive, because immunity is no fun.  That goes for all of the zombie types except Romero zombies.  Everyone comes back to life with that apocalypse, whether you were bitten or not.

Here are my ideas for careers.  I'll be treating it as if I will use career progression, but if it's clear that that's not the path I decide to take, I'll change it.

Ex-Convict - Strong, tough, dumb, low fellowship.  High melee and barehanded weapons skill, pistol skill,  maybe shotgun skill.  Probably minimal building/mechanical skill from prison shops.

Citizen - Average attributes, weak combat skills, but good at navigation(?), and foraging in malls and the like.

Cop - Strong, tough, dumb, higher fellowship.  Pistol skill, shotgun skill, vehicle skill.  Probably rifle skill at higher progressions, assuming I use them.  You may be starting to see why progression looks good.  A lot of these careers are going to be redundant without career paths to differentiate them.

Mechanic - Strong, tough, dumb. Can repair(and improve? via tuning up?) vehicles, minimal building skill, melee weapons skill.

Redneck - Strong, tough, low(Or high?) fellowship - Vehicle skill, handgun skill, maybe rifle skill at higher levels, minimal(Or moderate?) building and mechanical skills, skill at foraging outside the city limits if we decide to include nearby forest/country areas.

Military - Strong, tough.  Skill with most weapons, possibly vehicle and mechanical skill, probably building skill, superior equipment.  Will need some kind of disadvantage to balance him out.  Less starting XP, maybe?

Construction Worker - Strong, tough, dumb.  Melee weapon skill, high building skill, good for setting up fortifications.

What else is there?  I know there should be less strong/tough careers.  I don't plan on including things like tesla coils and automated turrets, because they're lame, and that limits the viability of having things like a geek career, I'd need to figure out what they could do in a zombie apocalypse.

Somehow I completely forgot most of the actual gameplay in the premise.  It'd be basically an open-ended survival game.  No real pre-set goals except to survive and maybe escape the city.  You'd need to eat and drink, of course, which would necessitate some moving around to gather supplies.

So that's what I have so far.  Questions, comments, suggestions?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:50:47 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG in development.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 12:20:20 pm »

The existence of a class that focuses purely on leadership and personality would be interesting, if only because it would be of more use keeping survivors together than re-killing zombies.

EDIT: I propose that the non-Romero zombies be called Russo zombies, just to tie in to the original duo.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:24:28 pm by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2009, 12:25:04 pm »

Construction Worker class that focuses on building stuff.
Also, why are cops dumb?

kholhaus

• Bay Watcher
  • Pissed and Inspired
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2009, 12:28:00 pm »

That's because the stereotype is.

I mean really, i feel real bad for making fu-- DONUTS!
Omnomnomnom
Kholhaus has been inspired recently.
Kholhaus has lost a favorite to tragedy recently.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2009, 12:40:52 pm »

Somehow I forgot to put in the construction worker career.  That was one of the ones I thought about right at the beginning.
Shoes...

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2009, 12:41:56 pm »

Hey, I'm not a cop and I'd be all like "blah blah bl—OMG DONUTS!"
Om nom nom.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2009, 01:15:24 pm »

Have the military types start off with preset orders that they have to follow?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2009, 01:21:00 pm »

That could work...
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 01:21:05 pm »

Re: Zombies - Why not multiple kinds?  Maybe even set up a couple templates with random features?  Keeps everybody on their toes.  Left 4 Dead of course features most of the obvious types (normals, crazy hunters, explodies, huge mutants).  You could have others like giant shambling mounds of people fused together, actual zombie animals, semi-animalistic thinker zombies with some kind of control over their kin, patchwork zombies that can piece themselves back together, and other wild options.  Maybe gasbag zombies that can fly?  The possibilities are endless.  And endlessly deadly.

Part of why I thought of some of those is, well, when you said you wanted to make a Zombie Apocalypse game with the Dark Heresy rules, part of me thought you meant a zombie apocalypse set in the Warhammer 40K milieu.  Very rarely been done before, with lots of AwesomeTM implications.  But of course way too easy for spammy 40Kphiles to uselessly flood.  For the record, I'm cool either way.

Also, why is their no Scientist class?  Only the power of Science can save us now!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 01:22:54 pm »

*Holds up laser-powered zombie "cure"*

HAHAAHAHA SCIENCE!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 01:23:21 pm »

Yay.

Not a bad idea.

Wonder waffles? :3

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 01:25:02 pm »

Allow waffle irons as weapons, under the classification of WMD's.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 01:27:28 pm »

Allow waffle irons as weapons, under the classification of WMD's.

Weapon of Making Deliciousness?

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 01:29:09 pm »

Wunderwaffe

:3

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 01:30:25 pm »

Pages: [1] 2 3