Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Zombie Apocalypse RPG - This is going to be more work than I thought.  (Read 10718 times)

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG in development.
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2009, 01:31:02 pm »

Wunderwaffe

:3

Oishii Wafuru
=3
??

Someone has to have played Shi No Numa or Der Riese

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2009, 01:31:12 pm »

Okay, I read too fast.  Having seen the note about geeks and super weapons, it strikes me as fair but unnecessary.  Scarcity of high tech resources and the difficulties in acquiring them should keep a good limit on game-ending superweapons.  By extension, the ability to reliably and frequently build things like automated crowd destroying weapons is a pretty good sign that we've won anyway.  Besides, without lasers and so forth, you don't get to use DH's magnificent Energy Critical Hits tables.

Few other RPGs have anything so inspiring as a rule that can turn a person's femur into a frag grenade.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2009, 01:33:12 pm »

Is it 40k or regular day?

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2009, 01:45:45 pm »

Flamethrowers man, molotov cocktails, you can still have energy weapons.

And modern day.

I'd rather not do the thing with boss zombies and stuff.  I'm a simple man, with simple tastes.  When things start waxing complex I begin to long for when they were simpler.  Zombies are better when there's one type of zombie(Or a mix of the basic forms.  I'm cool with having fast zombies, shamblers, and maybe some kind of zombie that has to be chopped up and burned; but when giant mutant zombies, smart zombies, and stuff like that come in I get a big frowny face), RTDs are better when you just roll, and you don't throw in skills and classes and all of that in it, everything is better when you KISS.

One thing that worries me is that without a main goal other than survival, it will be kind of aimless.  I'm hoping a focus on RP will make it easier for people to stay with it for a long time, but I can see why people would want boss zombies, science, and a way to win to keep their interest.

To help remedy this, I'm going to be looking at ways to keep the players on their toes.  I'm thinking loud noises attracting zombies will help, leading to situations where it's difficult to hole up for more than a few days before things get too bad to stay, and leading to a lot of intense escape situations where your stronghold is surrounded and you have to fight your way out, find a secret escape route, or LAST STAND FOR GREAT JUSTICE

The more I think about this idea, the more I wish someone else had come up with it so I could be a survivor.  Oh well, if it turns out awesome I might even put it in PDF form and let /tg/ see what it thinks.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 02:38:17 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2009, 01:48:10 pm »

Then why the fuck are you using Dark Heresy at all?  It's not exactly a simple game system itself.

And flamethrowers and such roll on the Flame Critical Hit table.  Though I guess a downed powerline could work.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2009, 01:51:56 pm »

Why are you judging the game Aqizzar? No one got angry and questioned the system you are working on.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2009, 01:55:37 pm »

It's called facetiousness Org.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2009, 01:56:54 pm »

It's called facetiousness Org.
Noun   1.   facetiousnessfacetiousness - playful humor                       
playfulness, fun - a disposition to find (or make) causes for amusement; "her playfulness surprised me"; "he was fun to be with"

Oh

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2009, 02:39:32 pm »

I think Dark Heresy's pretty simple, actually.  Maybe I'll use a homebrew setting anyway.  I'm sticking with the d10-based approach though.  Too many dice spoil the bread, you know.

Because you'll choke on them.  Don't put dice in bread.  That's a stupid idea.
Shoes...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 03:25:28 pm »

To disadvantage soldiers: Give them the stereotypical 'mus be a hero' attidue. If someone is under attack from the shambling horde, they aren't allowed to leave until the person is thoroughly dead, and they must try to save them. If there's them and a civilian, but only one spot left in a transport, they give the spot to the civvie.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2009, 03:42:58 pm »

That could work too.  It depends on how the character is roleplayed.  Maybe I'll give them a choice of several disadvantages, and they can pick the one that fits their character.
Shoes...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2009, 07:06:00 pm »

They start alone and have to trust the dice roll until they join up with the group?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2009, 07:22:10 pm »

It'd be tough to pull that off, considering it's a P&P RPG.  The DM would have to split his efforts between multiple parties.

I'm wondering, what should the city be like?  Obviously a GM can use whatever city he wants to use, but I'll probably run at least one game once it's finished, assuming it's any good, and I'd probably like to set up a city even if I don't run a game, just so the rules have a good example.

Should it be a full-on urban sprawl, or more like a suburb?  Both have their merits.  A city seems like it would be a more interesting environment.  I keep envisioning the survivors being pushed backwards to the roof of their stronghold, and having a tense situation where they have to jump to the next rooftop, over a twenty or thirty foot manmade chasm filled with zombies(Maybe there could even be climbing zombies, so it's not quite as safe once you get to the next rooftop.  You know that'd be intense.

Then again, a suburb would allow for a lot of the over-the-top zombie stuff, like bolting sheet-metal over the windows of your car and driving through a playground, some crazy guy standing out a hole in the top of the car, mowing down zombies with an assault rifle.  Cars probably wouldn't be as feasible in a city considering how choked the streets are when everyone isn't dead.  The streets would be so full of abandoned cars it'd probably hard to even walk in them.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 07:51:26 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG - This is going to be more work than I thought.
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2009, 12:27:38 pm »

It's not a modern tabletop game without a Tesla coil gun  :P

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: Zombie Apocalypse RPG - This is going to be more work than I thought.
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2009, 12:50:04 pm »

It is when I make it.  Anyway, I don't know.  I didn't realize until just now how much work it would be to set up a whole system and balance it and make sure it's not terrible.  Urgh, but the zombies call for me, and I know that any premade zombie setting will probably contain things that zombie settings shouldn't contain(Tesla guns, lazors, super-zombies, and the like).
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3