Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Woooohah 200 fps in fortress mode  (Read 4583 times)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
Woooohah 200 fps in fortress mode
« on: November 03, 2007, 01:15:00 pm »

So I started a new game in a haunted cold taiga, with some modded pet mountain goats and your standard dwarves with no anvil. Only monster on the map was a werewolf, and all the rivers and ponds are frozen.

constant 100-200 fps at all times (I set my max fps to be 200), even when everyone is busy, and I'm on a 1.6ghz 7-year-old computer. It's insanely fast, even novices digging through solid rock go at blistering speeds.

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Woooohah 200 fps in fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2007, 01:50:00 pm »

I once did 3X3 mountain jut for kicks. 300 FPS
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2007, 05:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Teldin:
<STRONG>So I started a new game in a haunted cold taiga, with some modded pet mountain goats and your standard dwarves with no anvil. Only monster on the map was a werewolf, and all the rivers and ponds are frozen.

constant 100-200 fps at all times (I set my max fps to be 200), even when everyone is busy, and I'm on a 1.6ghz 7-year-old computer. It's insanely fast, even novices digging through solid rock go at blistering speeds.</STRONG>

Now try to play on a "largest possible local size" map, and tell me about your FPS when you have 100 dwarves.
 :D

Baro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »

What are the biggest frame rate killers?

Since the new version I find the game runs 80-100 regardless of z-levels on the map, except if there's a volcano and then I'm lucky to get 30!!

Is this strictly something to do with volcanoes or something else I could try to avoid?  I really want to forge with magma, but the frame rate just destroys the game.

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2007, 05:51:00 pm »

I've been getting around 30-50 fps, max of 70 on a volcano map. I have a 750 mhz cpu. Toady, you pwn'd lag! Once I saw it running faster than the old version.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2007, 01:42:00 am »

That's odd. I've been getting around 50 on a 4x4 map, when I got more like 70 in the early game in the old version. It is an aquifer map with two rivers, a volcano, and a hugeass cliff, though...

[ November 04, 2007: Message edited by: Vanigo ]

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2007, 05:36:00 am »

This is really odd, since I am playing in a small map too and I am barely hitting 40 fps...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2007, 06:39:00 am »

Yeah it kinda sounds "weird". I have a MUCH better system, and I dont have 100-200 FPS at all.

Hellzon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2007, 08:56:00 am »

Sounds like fluids really slow down the game?

My setup is a bit like Teldin's (1.8 Megahurtz) and I get 15 FPS on an oceanside fort with a magma vent.

I'm also playing in Linux with wine. Maybe that makes it worse.

Bluefire

• Bay Watcher
  • Slaves to Khorne
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2007, 09:01:00 am »

Perhaps fluids do slow the game dowm. I have a 2.2 Ghz computer, I'm playing on a normal sized map with a river and a magma vent and even after I've completed a channel to create a fishing spot\water source inside my fort the frame rate is between 50-70 FPS. It's not terrible, though I expected it to run faster after toady had fixed the open\unmined space lag.

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2007, 12:28:00 pm »

I get a lower FPS if I'm by a big river with less than five active z-levels on a 3x3 map than I do if I'm in tall mountains with dozens of exposed z-levels on a 3x6.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2007, 01:40:00 pm »

I've found that fluids and movement between z-axis causes substantial amounts of lag. If I keep my fortress to 1 floor, it's generally 30-50 fps fater.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2007, 06:00:00 pm »

I think the biggest cause of lag is pathing in 3d. In a 3d fort there are generally more ways of getting from point a to point b.

Kjoery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2007, 08:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Vengeful Donut:
<STRONG>I think the biggest cause of lag is pathing in 3d. In a 3d fort there are generally more ways of getting from point a to point b.</STRONG>

Actually, no mattter how linear I try to make a 3-d fortress, it's always slower than a 2-D.

Also, kobold thiefs cause huge slowdowns.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2007, 10:51:00 am »

I think that we should make a "lag test".
Everyone would use the same world seed, and would embark on the same exact spot. Local area size should be at least 6x6. Report the FPS right after the game has started + report your system specs. Good idea?   :D
Pages: [1] 2