Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15

Author Topic: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?  (Read 35563 times)

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?
« Reply #165 on: April 01, 2010, 01:44:27 am »

I think the reason we like the older cartoons is because they where more adult friendly. They had humor for most people that watched. Nowadays it either entirely gibberish meant to distract the youngsters or meant to "relate" with the "teenage crowd". 

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 01, 2010, 07:41:54 pm »

What about Samurai Jack, or Megas XLR?

I loved both of those shows, to bad they've both been cancelled... ::)
Samurai Jack had a bunch of DVDs in a store the last time i saw it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 02, 2010, 10:18:18 am »

I think the reason we like the older cartoons is because they where more adult friendly. They had humor for most people that watched. Nowadays it either entirely gibberish meant to distract the youngsters or meant to "relate" with the "teenage crowd". 

I'm sure i read somewhere that the reason most modern cartoons are crap is because somewhere someone decided there wasnt enough educational kids programming, so the networks were forced to cut down the stuff that was purely for entertainment.

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 02, 2010, 12:07:00 pm »

I have a few fond memories of cartoons. Stuff like Pink Panther. Also I am pretty sure I still have the Tom&Jerry title theme stuck in my head.

One of the things I used to watch was some christmas cartoon centered around Santa delivering presents together with his magic elves to fulfill children's wishes. Of course there was the Grinch too. This was a ritual ever so slightly.

Even though I was a huge pokénerd back in the day, I never watched the series much. Did not lose out on much. I also saw my fair share of Miyazaki, not to mention Princess Monoke (which was a bit too dark for my tastes, back in the day. Confusing, too.)

But, the best and most impactful might just be the series that interested me much some point but which I did not get to watch (much). These would be American Dragon Jake Long (read a preview, wanted to watch, never got around to it. Accidentially tuned into it when zapping one day, watched most of Season 2, never looked back) and Megaman NT Warrior (while I did not see much of it, I was very much hooked by the premise, which ended up getting me into the games.)

Nowadays I only watch the Simpsons and very occassionally Spongebob Squarepants. If I watch at all.
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:38 pm »

I can't watch cartoons that are just a gag an episode type.

In fact I can't watch anything that isn't serial anymore.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 02, 2010, 01:20:26 pm »

The problem arises when they try. They should just ignore the "consumer" of their programs and just have fun doing what they do. People can tell if your doing your job for money or fun, and with the former the show turns to crap.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 02, 2010, 02:33:49 pm »

That's not always the only reason.  Sometimes you run into personality problems in the broadcasting.  SWAT Kats, one of the first mainstream cartoons to actually kill characters, was a smash ratings hit in competition with Batman, but Ted Turner (who owned the company that produced it) didn't want it competing with and detracting from his brainchild Captain Planet and gave it the axe.  Sonic the Hedgehog (not Adventures of, the other one) was critically acclaimed and such, but it kept getting stuck in bad timeslots, overridden by sports broadcasts or competing with Power Rangers, until a producer got in a fight with a network manager and it was thrown off the air.  Just the luck of the draw.

Why Spongebob gets so much love I don't understand.  I've watched a few times, and it spits out some good one-liners, but for the most part I think it's a boring kind of weird.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 02, 2010, 02:57:22 pm »

It used to have way more dirty jokes and innuendos, is why it used to be funny.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 02, 2010, 04:58:26 pm »

So a family cartoon then?
The Critic was an adult (in terms of target audience) cartoon.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 02, 2010, 11:54:37 pm »

Heard that Chowder had an interesting quote recently, went something like: "You'll never be round like us..."  Can't find clips of it however, perhaps it's only funny when the two people saying it over and over are playing Kirby and Jigglypuff and are wiping the floor with your face.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 02, 2010, 11:59:04 pm »

Heard that Chowder had an interesting quote recently, went something like: "You'll never be round like us..."  Can't find clips of it however, perhaps it's only funny when the two people saying it over and over are playing Kirby and Jigglypuff and are wiping the floor with your face.
Chowder also has the sport with the longest name EVER. its in the Big Ball(s)(don't remember if plural or not) episode.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 13, 2010, 04:02:25 pm »

Anyone else have a problem with the writing on childrens' shows?

They don't just hit TV Tropes every few days and write whatever they see. They actually regurgitate the exact same episodes.

For example, every show will have an "opposite day" episode. And at least one on sharing, probably on sharing treats or toys. There will be one where a character feels like nobody pays attention to him, so he leaves and returns when the others come looking for him, thus proving that they care about him after all.

The childrens' show format is so well-developed, you can probably run two or three seasons with no creative direction at all. Just whip up the characters and put them through Wacky Situation #7 for the pilot.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 13, 2010, 04:06:04 pm »

Yeah, I can think of a few. One would be "You couldn't do what I do but I could do what you do!" and then both people switch places and either both mess up or the guy who made the accusation messes up. There's a lot of regurgitated plots.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 13, 2010, 04:39:56 pm »

Yeah, the body-switch or just the job-switch is a common one.

And the Green Eggs and Ham rehash.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 13, 2010, 04:45:16 pm »

To be fair, our parents thought the shows we watched as children were pretty stupid, too.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15