Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15

Author Topic: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?  (Read 35539 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?
« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2009, 01:50:16 am »

Disney Cartoons are trash now. (actually just Disney television)

I mean, even the Little Mermaid Cartoon is better then almost anything they have now (Though F and F is good)

You want to claw your eyes and ears out? Watch Jonas

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2009, 01:55:22 am »

I'd say cartoons nowadays are fine. The new trend seems to be about superheroes who are average kids trying to get through school and life Drugs, violence, and crappy puns. At least the ones on Disney and Cartoon Network seem to be.

Spoiler: chowder (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: flapjack (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: total drama (click to show/hide)
A few examples.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 02:02:30 am by Rashilul »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2009, 01:57:12 am »

I can sorta understand why people like Total Drama Island... but I don't consider it all that great.

Flapjack's problem in my oppinion is the show doesn't go anywhere for something that seems to actually go somewhere. That and I don't like captain Kaknuckles (I am sure his name is actually Captain Knuckles and he is just too dumb to know the K is silent though)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2009, 01:59:54 am »

I like Billy and Mandy because it slips in Lovecraft to kids who would normally never get any taste of madness.

I don't like Chowder, I don't like Total Drama Island, I love Flapjack but I agree that it sometimes kind of meanders and some of the episodes don't make very much sense(Like the episode where Flapjack trains Knuckles to think he's a seal.  The episode ends abruptly, with no real conclusion, and the little bit of conclusion there is doesn't make any sense)
Shoes...

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2009, 02:05:48 am »

They still make Billy & Mandy? Yeah, that's definetly the first place I heard of Cthulu. Good stuff, though they had one season that sucked. I thought they had a really funny season, and then it canceled- now just occasional rereuns. Used to be packed with another show, and it was called Grim & Evil, the latter being about an evil genius, but they ran out of material with it. But yeah, good show, when they made new ones.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2009, 02:10:43 am »

I still remember that episode with the giant brain-eating meteor. That song also works for a regular zombie horde.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2009, 02:12:05 am »

Yeah, the other show that came with it sucked.  The bear with the brain and stuff.  Stupid show.
Shoes...

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2009, 02:15:21 am »

Ah, yes, billy and mandy. I also like Foster's Home for Imaginary friends :>
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Aldaris

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIBERAL] [WANNABE_DORF] [CAVE_ADAPTED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2009, 02:17:18 am »

Yeah, the other show that came with it sucked.  The bear with the brain and stuff.  Stupid show.
Evil con carne had it's moments, but it usually went on too long on a single joke.
Billy and Mandy was Awesome.
Foster's is pretty funny.
but Baron Aqizzar had the firm advantage, battering Cthulhu with his Mighty Chin.
^Totally not out of context, promise.
The Liberal Crime Squad Community game, now with a Liberal Overdose of Liberally aplied Liberalism. -Liberally. (UBER-Hiatus, next update somewhere between now and 2012.)

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2009, 05:12:05 am »

Heh, my sister is now watching Disney all the time.

She likes the twin.

Meh, anime > western cartoon, BTW.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2009, 05:13:41 am »

Depends.

You can't say anime in general trumps Western Animation in general - because both have their share of complete and utter garbage.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2009, 05:15:56 am »

Depends.

You can't say anime in general trumps Western Animation in general - because both have their share of complete and utter garbage.
Well, yeah. But I'd say anime are generally better, cause of the ANIMATION AGE GHETTO placebo effect.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2009, 05:17:52 am »

First season of fosters was a lot of intelligent than the following one.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2009, 05:21:08 am »

The problem isn't really that children cartoons have become worse, they havn't really become worse in premise, thou pherhaps in execution (the art styles are detestable, evry show wants their own style, and they dont realize there is a finite amount of styles good for something like a long-running animated series. This might be one of many reasons why anime tends to be better, as in having a single base style they can focus on uality instead of nonconformism at all costs, wich ironicaly makes them often have unique styles that are much MORE artistic, by deferring in much more subtle ways.), the problem is that they exist at all.
"Children entertainment" is an oxymoron concept, an artefact produced by marketing paradigmes and extremly guilable parents. In most cases, something specialized tends to be better as a general rule, hence why parents prefer to show their kinds stuff spesificaly marketed to kids, but what they dont realize is that because kinds have nothing to compare with they will be eualy entranced by just abaut anything, meaning the companies that make them are completly free to cut corners, have no pentalies for executive medeling destroying the story, etc. Childrens cartoons are not made for children, they are made for parent, advertizers, and media wachdogs.
There is no need to give children different entertainment than adults, as long as one avoid a few things, and in fact it is extremly importnant to have parents and children wach the same things and with equal enjoyment, both so that the parent can act as uality controle, and as a valuble bounding moment bothing in sharing the experience togeter, and in having something in comon to talk abaut afterwards.
Besides, there is nothing that indicates that viololence not sexuality have any "coruptive" infuence on children, as long as it isn't in exesive amounts or glorified. Storytelling is one of the most importnant milestones to establish morals, perhaps THE most important second only to parental punishment/reward, while punishment reward by parents establish what IS, stories are needed to establish what SHOULD BE, and having at least one fictional role model is very important in establishing a sound moral phsycology. It is also importnant to be presented by many widely varying ponts of view; show diferent shows from diferent cultures, show both modern ones and clasics, and dont just park in front of the TV, but instead present the chid with theater, cinema, computer games, tabeltop RPGS, books, comics, radio/podcasts, and evry other type of media you can think of, show both uncensured hyperrealism and abstract unrealistic idealism, and evrything in betwen, etc. etc. In short, present evry posible point of view on evrything, and also let judgment come AFTERWARDS, in the discusion and metadata.

Also, the animation age ghetto effect is ruining lots and lots of stuff, the enjoyments adults could have had, the childhoods of those that now get dumbed down junk, and the art that never get produced, all because of this silly prejudice.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2009, 06:03:28 am »

To some extent I agree with you on that. Cartoons should teach kids about life and morals(Generals ones held to everybody independent of religions, despite the fact that they made said morals), and cutting the corners on a story just isn't going to help any of us. Many cartoons nowadays are just for, well, distracting the brat while you can get a smoke.

However, I do disagree on the ides that children can enjoy the same media as adults. For one, our media is just plain boring if there is dialogue for more than five minutes. I remember one stretch when I would not watch Full House(Which in retrospect was a good call) because it was not animated. And oddly enough, Simpsons filled that void.
 The second problem involves the complexity of some stories. Children just won't 'get' some bits. I remember watching old Disney animations from my youth and suddenly realizing the plot then and there, ten years later. As a kid all I saw were animations and songs. Not that I didn't know anything of the plot, but Disney made the plot have two different levels: Capable of getting the gist just from the animation, and the actual speaking plot.

tl;dr
 While I agree on the aspects of storytelling is falling behind, I disagree that media for children needs to be the same as adult media.

And unless somebody dumbs down anime to an acceptable level like, say, Digimon as opposed to Pokemon, I shall accept it in the states. Otherwise let it begone. Partially because Digimon was awesome and should have crushed Pokemon forever if not for the third season becoming utter crap, and partially because mainstream anime is too perverted for me. What hope does little kids have?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15