Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15

Author Topic: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?  (Read 35261 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?
« Reply #180 on: April 13, 2010, 04:49:08 pm »

Children's shows are expected to teach some kind of lesson, and there are only so many lessons you can teach.

You've got your sharing, people care about you, everyone is different, they end up repeating.  Also, I can't stand when people say that Loony Toons and stuff was the golden age of cartoons or whatever.  I watched a marathon of that once.  I saw three or four of the EXACT SAME EPISODE, in a different setting with different characters.  Same plot, same premise, same jokes, same everything.
Shoes...

Krumbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 13, 2010, 05:05:07 pm »

My mum and dad bought me a massive set of videos of Tom and Jerry, it was fantastic. I would watch them all the time and also some Disney films (good ones, not the crap we have now that is has slowly devolved into). Arthur and the Rugrats were pretty good as well.

But now I am sometimes misfortunate enough to see at some of the stuff on now. This is only a few years on from my childhood, yet it's sunk so low in such a short period of time. If it isn't some man standing there trying to explain what a square is and reading out birthday cards in a stupid voice, it's a cartoon where an asian, a black person, and a white person (one of them usually in a wheelchair and one of them a woman) going around doing basically nothing. if your lucky they might punch a robot in the face, but more often than not it's just mindless drivel.

They might as well just give up and start showing programs about Scooby Doo looking over his tax returns or some shit. There's nothing better on and at least that'll give kids some life experience for when they grow up into the dark depressing world.
Only in Dwarf Fortress could you get 4 armed heads scuttling about on cavern roofs.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: April 13, 2010, 05:21:18 pm »

I just think it's silly to redo the entire show. Just do reruns. Why would you want to constantly create new characters just to tell the same old stories, and -

Oh yeah. New intellectual property, new merchandising.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: April 13, 2010, 05:23:06 pm »

Everybody thinks the stuff they had as kids was awesome and the stuff now sucks. Quit fooling yourselves: Just because CN cancelled Megas XLR or Samurai Jack doesn't mean everything they have sucks now.

Disney's cartoons have been awesome for ~10 years now. It only gets better when you look at Disney XD.
Nick's cartoons are, at best, mediocre. Don't even bother anymore. Ever since the Spongebob movie, I can't think of a single good new Nick cartoon.
CN's comedies are awesome as long as they aren't actually Teletoon shows. No offense to Teletoon or anything, but CN got all the crap from them.
CN's action shows are mostly fine. Nothing too horrible except Ben 10 Alien Force, and even that one's not the worst shit ever. It's just bad.
Teletoon is pretty hit-and-miss. Sometimes, they nail it out of the park with stuff like Jimmy-Two Shoes. Somtimes, they make 6teen.

Quck shout out to France 3 for making Wakfu.

Unless you guys are talking about preschool shows, but if you're complaining about those, get a life.
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: April 13, 2010, 05:26:12 pm »

This is a side tangent, but does anyone else like Metalocalypse? I feel like I'm playing Doom when I watch it: lots of blood, and I'm having a great time, but I can't sit there for more than half an hour because it's just too brutal.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: April 13, 2010, 05:29:17 pm »

For some reason I might actually watch Phineas and Ferb just because of the mad scientist guy, who I find to be hilarious for some reason.

I don't like anything else though.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: April 13, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »

This thread is almost entirely masturbatory nostalgia. Yes, the good cartoon previous to one on now are better then the average and poor cartoon of today. *shrugs* The poor and average cartoon of yesteryear are on par with the poor and average cartoon of today. *shrugs*

Compared to the 80s 70s, currently there far greater disverity now in term of style, settings and humor level and targeted ages. The 90s for myself was a silver age for cartoon, we had the steven speilgberg present cartoon, the bruce tim DC universe and the nicktoon cartoon cartoons. Rugrats, Doug, Angry Beavers, Power Puff Girl, Samurai Jack, Dexter Lab (before the last season), The Real Adventure of Johnny Quest ect.

There plenty of shit and averageness in each decade. It seems to stay about the same number wise. The Misadventure of Flapjack, Total Drama Island, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, ADVENTURE TIME!, Danny Phantom and Avatar: The Last Airbender are all fairly good stuff. I'm not a fan of all them but I recognize them being the highlights.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: April 13, 2010, 05:41:21 pm »

Yeah I'm sure some people are just pissed off that they stopped making Fraggle Rock and Eureka's Castle. Good point about comparing the best shows of the past with the average / worst of today, which is the mix of each that stands out.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 13, 2010, 05:54:06 pm »

Fraggle Rock and Eureka Castle were da boss!  I had a Red Doll, and Jim Hansen The Story Teller was great.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 13, 2010, 05:57:50 pm »

Adventure Time is pretty awesome, and they push the boundaries for what's allowed in a kid's show.  I haven't heard "Frickin" in a kid's cartoon since Hey Arnold, and they called the Ice King a tool, which is about the harshest language I've seen on Cartoon Network
Shoes...

Mr.Person

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: April 13, 2010, 06:51:30 pm »

Adventure Time is pretty awesome, and they push the boundaries for what's allowed in a kid's show.  I haven't heard "Frickin" in a kid's cartoon since Hey Arnold, and they called the Ice King a tool, which is about the harshest language I've seen on Cartoon Network

I think being called a sociopath is harsher than being called a tool. Then there's the fact you could clearly see the Ice King's naked ass.

Not to mention "Sorry Finn, I can't help you on account of my parents being idiots." and "Lump off mom!"
Youtube video of the year, all years.
Hmm...I've never been a big fan of CCGs - I mean, I did and still do collect Pokemon cards, but I never got heavily into the battling and trading thing.

By definition that makes you a fan since you still buy them.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 13, 2010, 07:39:40 pm »

For some reason I might actually watch Phineas and Ferb just because of the mad scientist guy, who I find to be hilarious for some reason.

I don't like anything else though.

I personally like the show's over the top nature and the fact that for the most part each episode feels new (even if they recycle plots).

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2010, 08:51:38 pm »

Fraggle Rock and Eureka Castle were da boss!  I had a Red Doll, and Jim Hansen The Story Teller was great.
Oh crap. Memory overload.

I think I just saw my childhood flash before my eyes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 14, 2010, 08:09:54 am »

This is a side tangent, but does anyone else like Metalocalypse? I feel like I'm playing Doom when I watch it: lots of blood, and I'm having a great time, but I can't sit there for more than half an hour because it's just too brutal.

Metalocalypse is f'ing METAL. Oh...yeah, i guess that's self-evident.

I've been a fan of Brendon Small ever since "Home Movies" (which is brutal in its own dry humor way). The fact that he actually composes and plays Dethklok's music is just golden.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Otterro_6

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: September 19, 2018, 06:07:43 am »

Well, the content has definitely changed now but isn’t bad at all. Have you tried watching shows that are available on Netflix? Those shows are amazing and teaches good things to children. There is also an option of choosing the language which makes it even easier to understand.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 01:28:19 am by Otterro_6 »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15